The Greatest Ever Attacking Midfielder?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Jul 8, 2005.

1. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    These are the options for the attacking midfielder position. I will also have a "forward" poll so if you think there is an outstanding candidate missing then there is a good chance he may be on there.

2. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Another point to make is that it is so difficult to classify players such as Di Stefano who played "centre forward" in a 5 man attack. I generally consider those players to have been attacking midfielders.

3. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    This is a very difficult one, but because we're using this to build a team I'll give it to Di Stefano over Maradona by a nose.

4. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    I thought comme's initial post in the GK thread was a straight up vote who was best by position, and not based on an overall composition of a team.

comme? Clarification requested.

5. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    I only used this as a tie-breaker, I really can't decide between them - If you asked me which was the better player I really couldn't make a final decision.

6. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sindelar was a centre-forward. Could he adapt to a attacking midfield position? Maybe. Though even if you take out Maradona, Zidane, Platini and Di Stefano, there are players who would adapt into that position better than Sindelar.

7. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I went for Di Stefano... very tough decision to make though... very tough, I'd wanted to go Platini and Maradona and I even considered Zidane.

8. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    Gotcha.

Also, just saw comme's post on the Center-Back. My interpretation of the initial post is not as strict as his actual intent.

9. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    who's didi? :confused:

10. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I had to go with Maradona. His talent was just so great, and anyone that can lead a small, southern club like Napoli to a Serie A title is great in my book. Also, even though he wouldn't have won, I think Roberto Baggio shoudl've been on the poll.

11. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fate works against Di Stefano due to his lack of a legacy as an international-I can't give him the nod based on "what if," so I voted for Maradona.

12. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    That is an absolutely inexplicable statement, especially from a Real Madrid fan.

13. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I don't agree. When you take into account the missing part of his resume (World Cup) and then counter that with what Maradona actually did in the World Cup...for me that gives the nod to Maradona. Yes, you can make assumpations about Di Stefano and what he might have done on the WC stage, but he didn't. The line touted by most soccer historians is that only two players can been seen as single handedly "winning" the WC: Garrincha and Maradona. That goes a long way in my book.

And Maradona's Napoli was not the collection of stars that Di Stefano had at his side with Madrid. We've all seen the video of his introduction to the Napoli tifosi-enormous pressure and he delivered in spades. And while Di Stefano's arrival at the Bernabeu was anything but "normal" with the tug-of-war vs Barca, Diego's was equally as crazy in terms of expecations.

Lastly, I saw Maradona; I didn't see Di Stefano. It's a Coke vs Pepsi argument at the end of the day, but I still go with Maradona.

14. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Your argument assumes that DiStefano and Maradona's club careers are comparable. They are not. Maradona had a phenomenal run at Napoli, but aside from that was not the player he was for Argentina. What did he lead Barcelona to, aside from some fights with Goixkotea and co.? DiStefano's clubs career, meanwhile, is without peer. He displaced Perdenera from the Maquina going on to dominate Argentina with River. His Millionarios were the best team in Colombia and his arrival saw Real Madrid become, well.......Real Madrid. He certainly doesn't have the international "pedigree" that Maradona does, but Maradona can't compare to DiStefano's professional career. If Best had gone on to play another 6 years at his peak, would the argument of "he didn't do much internationally" really be relevant? I don't see why it should be here.

15. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, and one reason is clearly due to Di Stefano's greatness. But be fair. Di Stefano played on two of the most historic teams: The Madrid teams and the Ballet Azul.

16. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    That's deceptive. Real Madrid hadn't won a title for over 20 years before DiStefano arrived and were hardly the club as we think of it today.

17. herewego

herewego Member

Jun 1, 2004
    I´m missing Netzer, Overath, Fritz Walter.

And I´m wondering, if Pele would better fit here, than under attackers.

18. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    again, who is didi? somebody? :confused:

19. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Great Brazilian of the 50s. "Played" one year for Real, but apparently couldn't get along with DiStefano (so the legends go). One of the integral pieces to Brazil's 58 win, and played on the 62 side as well.

20. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
  21. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    I would imagine comme has got two types of strikers - the old style inside forward type (the more creative type of striker) of which Pele and Walter would both be classed and the classic centre forward or premier goal scorer.

Netzer and Overath were both fantastic players and could easily have made this list (I would have them both on for Zidane and Laudrup).

22. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Park/8885/Didi.htm

Originally an inside left in the old W-M formation he settled into midfield with the advent of 4-2-4 and was one of the first who we would describe a midfield playmaker.

23. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
  24. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    If there's a deserved criticism towards di Stéfano, then that's his lack of success with the Spain national team.

He did have the chance to shine in the 1958 World Cup, if Spain had managed to qualify out of a group with Scotland and Switzerland, but a di Stéfano-led Spain failed to win against Switzerland at home in 1957, which basically cost them the qualification.

I think di Stéfano's "failure" to qualify with Spain for Sweden '58 is the only major flaw in his career. (it is up to speculation what Spain with di Stéfano could have achieved in the 1960 European Championship had they not pulled out of the quartefinal tie vs. the USSR...)

25. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but he still had a brilliant supporting cast for a good part of is time at Madrid. The last three EC he had the likes of Gento, Puskas, Rial, Del Sol, Kopa, and Santamaria at his side.

That doesn't take away from his greatness-I agree, he tranformed the club with his signing. But I think when you measure his career w/ Madrid you still have to take into account of the players he had with him.