The greatest Defender

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Xehanort, Oct 13, 2013.

?

Who is the best Defender in the world?

1. Raphael Varane

2.1%
  2. Marcelo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Carles Puyol

4.2%
  4. David Luiz

2.1%
  5. Thiago Silva

41.7%
  6. Mats Hummels

6.3%
  7. Neven Subotic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Daniel Agger

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Vincent Kompany

4.2%
  10. Phillip Lahm

20.8%
  11. Other... (specify which)

18.8%
  1. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    and on an era where defending is not just being able to break up play but also to take the ball up the pitch and connect with the forwards, the best defenders currently have to be judged also on their ability to do just that.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  2. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Who is Baiano? another Roque Junior??? LOL

Aldair was a LEGEND in SerieA and ROMA GOD (along with Falcao)
    M Santos was among the VERY CONSISTENT DF ... and he played for many clubs with more or less same performance good

3. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Junior baiano is a legend in the brasileirao, most feared CB of his time there and a WC champ... don't really care about Roma and their great tradition of not winning anything

4. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Let's borrow this thread to pay tribute to once called GOD of Fullback in Football history. One among very rare complete defenders in football history: NILTON SANTOS has just passed away

R.I.P

Farewell to Nilton Santos, the archetypal full-back
    Posted by Fernando Duarte

[​IMG]
    Nilton Santos defined the full-back position back in the 1950s and his influence is still widely felt today.

Six decades ago, the distance between Rio de Janeiro and Stockholm looked much wider. As such, tales of Brazil's exploits at the 1958 World Cup were inevitably embedded with a combination of enthusiasm and poetic license from journalists following the Selecao around Sweden. It is nonetheless tempting to believe the story in which team manager Vicente Feola despairs on the sidelines and begs for his full-back to drop back, only to end up muttering "Well done" when he scores the second goal of a 3-0 first-round win against Austria.

Nicknamed "The Encyclopedia" given his vast technical repertoire, Nilton Santos was also worshipped by the simplicity with which he handled fans and media. The son of a Rio fisherman, he was spotted playing in a kick-about while doing military duty with the Air Force. Taken to Botafogo in 1948, the hopeful striker was quickly moved to the defence when manager Zeze Moreira found out he could do a good job tracking back as well.

Nilton was elected by FIFA the best left-back of all time but never really occupied a place in the limelight. His retirement days were pretty much spent talking about the past, especially when it involved tales of Garrincha. He did publish an autobiography in 1998, but 10 years later, after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, Santos was in financial difficulties -- until Botafogo's directors and fans chipped in to fund his safe passage to a Rio nursing home.

"I will be forever grateful to what Nilton did for me. He was an outstanding player and I will never forget how he took me under his wing when I was first called up to the Selecao at 16 years old. Apart from my father's, Nilton's advice was the most precious I had on a football pitch," Pele said on Wednesday after learning of Nilton's death.

5. riflex

riflex Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Ramos=shit of the shit, one of most shitty that i ever seen.

Even me can dribble Shit Ramos.

Silva can't be compared with others is in another different planet.
    Pepe=shit

6. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Thiago Silva from that list.

Historically I loved watching Fernando Couto. Strikers would think twice before trying any fancy tricks on him. Sure he probably should of been charged with attempted murder a few times but he was a great player/liabilty if he was on your team.

Others would be Baresi and Maldini.

7. XxXsoccer_fanXxX

Aug 22, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Thiago Silva gets my vote. Strong, technically gifted, attacking prowess is also good, and with no notable weaknesses.

8. Ronaldoz 9

Ronaldoz 9 Member

Jun 17, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Beckenbauer is the best

9. montecristo1989

montecristo1989 New Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Home
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  10. tracyhan2

tracyhan2 Member

Real Madrid
    Mar 30, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Portugal defender Pepe is very strong and powerful . He was underestimated by a lot of soccer fans.

11. jefflebowski16

Feb 9, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Center-back: Chiellini
    Wide-back: Lahm...still

12. Maximax92

Maximax92 New Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    *Leonardo Bonucci!!