The Great Sabo Debate

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by n1xhere, May 11, 2012.

1. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your original comment did not leave room for exceptions. You said "I've yet to see him [blah blah blah]." The phrase "I've yet to ________" is an absolute. It means you've never seen it ever under any circumstances.

If you don't mean things in absolute terms, don't use absolutes. Maybe it's just the scientist in me, but my eyes are drawn to absolutes like "never", "always", etc.

Hardtcore and BalanceUT repped this.
  2. ShaggyReAL

ShaggyReAL Awesome is my middle name

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dated a hot girl, once.

MOS5 repped this.
  3. MOS5

MOS5 Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That wasn't the first time he did that. Although the one against Seattle was much better.

I don't want to put words in your mouth gretnapie but it sounds like you are suggesting we would be better off with a Paulo Jr. like player lining up with Espindola, which has been done with unimpressive results. Every team in the league would love to have a striker who as you said, "will always score goals". Saying that we should get rid of him because he lacks flair even though he scores goals is a pretty weak argument.

BalanceUT repped this.
  4. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, you have never dated a hot girl. And yes, I used an absolute there. ;)

ShaggyReAL and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  5. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Flair is not measured on the stats sheet, and only stat counts for accumulating points: goals.

6. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Interesting to see stars like Montero, Keane, and Le Toux
    tied with our defending midfielder, Beckerman, for goals right now. (3)
    But the stats are always crazy during the beginning of the season.
    (and it's obvious they'll eventually get more.)

Of course, none of this really matters unless you take minutes played, games started and
    other stuff into account. Which I am too lazy to do right now.

7. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lmfao, you have some serious hate against the man. if lack of "flair, imagination and subtlety" results in a near 0.5 goal per game average over the course of a career....i'll ********ing take it every day of the week, 10 times on saturday and 1 million times on sunday. ya, flair and imagination are great, but 90% of the players in this league with those "attributes" dont average anywhere NEAR the amount of goals that Sabo does. give me hard work, finish your chances and put the ball in the back of the net, that's all i want from a forward. save the flair and imagination for your local chotchkies waiter who couldnt average a goal every 10 games in his rec league...

[​IMG]

15 to 32 repped this.
  8. gretnapie

gretnapie Member

Jun 23, 2008
    nr gretna
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have given consideration to what you say and I don't hate of Sabo but maybe my words are a little strong especially as they are born out of frustration seeing Sabo under achieve time after time when I'm sure he could do more.

Maybe the answer is to give him a partner who plays a more regular position rather than the wandering Espy. Give Espy a completely free role possibly in front of Sabo and support Sabo from the midfield or give espy a completely free role behind Sabo and play another forward.

I'm sure a lot more can be got from Sabo if he wasn't so lonely upfront, he would enjoy th e game better and a second outlet might give the defence greater relief when under pressure. Maybe you're right it's not a case of replacement but how can we enhance what Sabo has offer

Perhaps start a debate on Making Sabo play better

9. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Writing something critical of Saborio on these threads is like asking to be crucified by 15 or Up.
    Fact is their is much to be critical of in Sabo's play and it is only the blind faith of fans like 15 and Up that make such positions so unpopular. Sabo has talent, Sabo has scored some great goals, but match in and match out he is not all that a few on these boards want to sell you. In the end we will look back at Sabo's career in Utah and be saying what if?

10. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol, ok.

yes, i have criticized sabo before, hell i've criticized him many times this year. but to say we will look back on sabo's RSL career and say what if? is ridiculous right now. what MORE do you want the guy to do? he is scoring goals. he's scoring them at a clip like no other RSL forward has before. he is doing what a high profile forward/striker is supposed to do. he played a huge role in our CCL run, he played a big role in last years playoffs.

only the people who expect a striker to score a goal per game will look back on sabo's RSL career and question what he did.

11. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't. Or, I will only in the sense that it could be said of every player on any team in history. Nobody is perfect. Everyone makes errors. Negative information leaves a greater impression and lasts longer in memory than positive information. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negativity_bias) So, the tendency is to recall an event that is negative, or to recall the negative about things more than may be representative of the complete event or the whole person.

Compounding the above phenomenon is that strikers and defenders, because their errors and successes are right in front of the goal where the consequences are most immediately dire or elation leave an even greater impression than errors and successes by midfielders. The emotional stakes being higher increases our memory of the actions (be they successes or failures of defenders and strikers). (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion_and_memory).

Combine the two effects and the tendency to recall the negative that has high emotional value is huge.

Become Spock in analyzing Sabo and you may find that you shift your thinking some.

12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    aren't you the Yura lover?

13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is what Javi is supposed to do
    when Javi is out there, he pushes forward a whole lot more than Gil and combines with the forwards a lot better.

The goal Espy scored @ Seattle was a rarity for Gil as he was pretty far forward

14. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes I did and still do think he was RSL best ever player, I think what he has done in Europe since leaving pretty much bears that out. A little more successful than Findley and or Sabo did or are doing there now.

15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    since he left, yes
    when he was at RSL, though, he was not better than Sabo at RSL

He started to come into form and then bolted (can't blame him).
    You were willing to live with the growing pains of Yura. And by all accounts, he was a worse forward than Sabo is.
    So why aren't you willing to deal with some slight growing pains with Sabo?

16. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Yura a couple great years while at RSL, and why am I less patient with Sabo? It's all about age, Yura was what 22 when he got to Salt Lake? Sabo is no longer learning the game or growing, slumping perhaps.

17. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Georg, meet your new friends Esad and Foad.

18. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry did not get that?

19. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Urban Dictionary is your friend.

20. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ******** You would work also.

21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand the age thing, you have a point there.
    However, our system is not one that you just jump into and are amazing. Sabo actually went against the grain in this regard.

Honestly, I'd be interested in seeing the output of Sabo when Javi is on the pitch as opposed to when he isn't. I think Sabo's ups and downs are heavily affected by Javi being out there. Espy plays completely differently when Javi isn't out there, as well, but it may help him in the goals department.

22. gretnapie

gretnapie Member

Jun 23, 2008
    nr gretna
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I didn't particularly like Yura until his last season and the memory grew fonder when I saw Sabo

Robbie Findley only had one attribute, his speed, there was always a danger is was going to get crocked and become a wage liability. Best moved on

23. ShaggyReAL

ShaggyReAL Awesome is my middle name

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You say that like it's a bad thing?

24. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think some people are forgetting how hard we rode those two when they were here as well. yura had HORRIBLE finishing problems for his first year and half, that guy couldnt hit water if he was in the middle of the ocean. and findley's rap was that he had the touch of a donkey, his first touch always let him down. i would say both players got close to as much "hate" as sabo is getting. i think people are hating on sabo a little more because of his former DP status and that he didnt come here with the need to be developed. that and he produced right away, scoring bunches of goals early on and also in the high profile CCL matches. he set an early bar very high for RSL fans.

25. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Strikers are easiest to blame because they're at the tip of the "what could have been" logic chain. It's harder to think about positioning, possession, defense, etc. It's far easier to second guess one moment instead of the beautiful complexity that is 45 minutes of soccer.

If you watched the UEFA final you saw Gomez and Robben and Mueller miss several opportunities that would have garnered a win. That's at the top level, and they're making tens of millions a year. Drogba even struggles some times - though his CL run proves he's an all time talent.

Georg - I wrote what I wrote because this is being beaten to living death. Not out of animosity. It's like - we get it - you hate the guy - I guess we SHOULD expect to have someone who produces like Drogba on a fraction of the salary that guys on Bayern get paid to do the same things. Compared to the other under and over performers in MLS, I'm just fine with Mr. Saborio, in fact, I really like him. He's more money than Espy on an open shot, that's for sure...although Espy creates more on his own (which is why they're a swell pairing).

But opinions vary. That's why I introduce Mr. Esad and his buddy Foad. They add levity.

15 to 32 and MOS5 repped this.