The Great Manchester United Excursion

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Achtung, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off to Manchester tomorrow. Should be fun. :cool:

2. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    First full day in London... we mostly rested yesterday... we did some sight seeing today... went to the Tower of London and the National Gallery as well. Saw from a distance, big ben and london bridge.. walked through Soho and Picadilly... quite interesting really. I'm having a ball. We travel to Manchesterlandvilleplace tomorrow.

3. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drink any interesting beers yet?

4. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Or any hard cider??? Blackthorn was the one I think my friend and I had..How about any Carling?? MMMM.....Carling. ;)

5. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Actually I don't drink very much, just the occasional glass... and we haven't yet... plan to go to a pub in Manchester though... I'm going to have to try Stella and Carling and if anyone recomends anything else let me know... the only beer I drink regularly and by regularly I mean a 6pack a year is guiness.

6. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've actually been recovering from a cold myself, so avoiding drinking for a couple of days. Hopefully I'll be fine by matchday 1. ;)

7. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

once you drink stella, you dont go back :p

8. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stella seems really popular, but I wasn't fallen with greatness when I tried it. Its not bad at all but not the best I have tried, of course I havn't had it in a while and shall try it news year eve so I report back :D.

Have fun guys.

9. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
    Never had Stella....what's it like?

10. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to explain, as I said its been a while, its a lager so, but its pretty strong on the 'hop' flavor if you know what i mean. Hard to explain, have to compare it to something I guess.

11. Kavster

Kavster New Member

May 16, 2004
    Brighton, UK
    Stella has been affectionately nicknamed "wife-beater" lol Despite that tag, it's a strong premium lager, one of my favourites. Another one I quite like is Kronenbourg, that's also a premium lager, but has a fruity tinge to it. Carlsberg and Carling both taste the same to me, so hey! :p

The one to avoid is Foster's. :eek: It's nicknamed "amber-nectar" but tastes like it was brewed in a men's cloakroom. The best cider i tasted is the good ol' Strongbow. :D Smooth, and nice to drink after a few (5+) pints of lager.

Then of course you have the traditional british Ale. I'm not one to dabble in that, but i hear it puts hairs on your chest :p

12. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next year I'm definitely up for a trip to OT. Would be fun having a bunch of Yanks there!

If one gets organized, maybe we could get some sort of group rate.

Just found out my cousin's wife went there on business and she got TONS of pics in and around the stadium. I have great one of the pitch and seats with "Manchester United" on it. Stunningly beautiful!

13. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

I am going to be in England next year , from the last week of July to Aug 20th ......

14. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Manchester now, unfortunately because of the holiday, no internet cafes are open so I had to splurge for the hotel's wireless. And to make things worse my laptop doesn't seem to be charging properly.

Oh and the hotel we're at was sort of a last-minute thing, so its a tad pricey. If anyone knows of anything cheaper, somewhere in the realm of under $100/night, the help would be appreciated.

15. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Might be a bit late now but where are you staying?

There are quite a few cheap (and basic) hotels around St Peters' square, by the tram stop to OT.

16. Kavster

Kavster New Member

May 16, 2004
    Brighton, UK
    ARGH :mad: Just got back from Birmingham a half hour back. Nightmare of a journey. The cab I booked the night before from the hotel where we were staying turned up 15 mins late, and as a result i missed my coach. I waited 2 hours (!) for the next one, and it turns out that that one was going to be full all the way to London. I'm thinking "Crap!" I run up to (one of) the train station, hail a cab, and head to the main train station in Brum (New St. for those of you who care ;)) and catch a train to London Euston. Cost me fucking £22.40. Then from Euston to Brighton, i needed to go on the tube, and catch another train from King's Cross. £18.70! Add to that the cab fare to the station and it was suddenly going to cost me £50 to get home! I couldn't believe it. Anyway, I'm here now, and am getting ready to head out to work.

On a happier note, it was nice to catch up with Yajur and Johno and to actually see a game live (!) ;) Definitely want to make it for the Arsenal game, should be fun.

17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    yeah... we're now in the IBIS, not too far from that stop on the tram. Its not bad I guess, and its slightly cheaper than what we were in before.

If you've never went to a match as an away supporter sitting in the home stand, you haven't lived yet. :D

it was a nice experience.

We're back in Manchester now, after spending the night in Birmingham. We had little/no plans but we met with Kava and took a cab to the stadium, hopped out about a couple blocks away and found two hotels, one of which was full, but booked the 2nd and then walked to the game... got there just in time to see the kick-off, which proves that if you don't plan things, they will work out stupendously.

The trip is winding down a bit now I guess... the newness is gone, I'm hoping we can get a train to London after the match against Bolton and I'd like to go to a New Year's Eve party... if anyone knows of one that will have some dancehall/reggae let me know.

Also Comme... are you in Manchester/near it? I'd love to meet you for a pint. And, if not... and you know Manchester a bit, is there a nearby park where people play footie? We've got nothing on the cards for tomorrow so that would be something we could do.

the Kavster's a great lad... I'd share a pint w/ him any day.

18. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Looking forward to meeting you guys for the Man U game on Tuesday. I think I said to Achtung where the pub was. If not - The Tavern. Come out of Arsenal tube station, turn left. Stadium is on your right. Walk all the way to the end of the road and you come to a main road going across you called Blackstock Road. The Tavern isdiagonally opposite on the left. Otherwise meet me at Finsbury Park station at 5.15pm where I will be meeting other people to take to the game. Let me know eiter way!!!

19. Kavster

Kavster New Member

May 16, 2004
    Brighton, UK
    SHould be able to make it, i'll keep you posted and let you know if i cant. :)

20. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to Man Utd vs Arsenal in an Arsenal pub near Highbury? :eek:

21. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rick/Kavster, I'll keep you guys up to date on our plans. Right now we will probably meet up with you guys before the Arsenal-United game, but I think for our safety we'll have to watch it from a Spurs pub. ;)

I believe we'll be back in the Best Western in Bayswater. Rick, I'll also have to get your mobile number (PM me).

22. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    there are a few good pubs on London St, down the road from Paddington Station. Sussex Arms (1.48 for a pint of Carlsberg when i was there) and a chip shop right next door. There is also a good kebab place on London St as well.

23. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Ok, the IBIS is one of the ones I was going to suggest. It's central, quite cheap and handy for OT.

I'm not in Manchester any more sadly, but if you want to go and play football I'd suggest going to Platt Fields or Whitworth Park. To go to either you can either walk down Oxford Road (past the University) or catch a bus, you want the 40,41,42,43,44 or 45 (don't get a Stagecoach, they are expensive for no reason).

Platt Fields is better for football, you can see Citeh's academy from the park, but Whitworth Park is closer (although some bloke got raped there earlier this year) . If it's open the Whitworth gallery is worth a visit to kill time as well, it's got lots of good pieces.

If you do venture down Oxford Road (which you must) a visit to any of the KroBars is a must, good food, drink and atmosphere as well.

Manchester is decidedly lacking in tourist places really.

24. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ick, sorry about that, man. I blame myself for your late rising after I ordered that last round back at the hotel. ;)

Good to know you got back safely though, albeit with a lighter wallet.

Was a great time no doubt, though having to bury our heads in our hands while the rest of the folks around us were singing "Pandi-aaaaa-ni, Pandi-aaaaa-ni" was a new experience. If any other folks want to meet up in London as well, do post here for more info.

25. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

cheers! (new word in my vocabulary now) I think I'll give it a shot some time tomorrow.