The Great Italian Player Thread [Post-1990]

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by Cassano, Feb 8, 2005.

1. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: The Great Italian Player Thread

I'm surprised that he played in Australia. I hardly paid attention to the NSL.

That was a very good profile of him. At times it overshadows my usual thoughts of him. I've only seen a bit of footage of him at Italia 90 and USA 94 and out of all Azzurri players, he didn't impress me that much. By the sound of things, he must have been much greater with Inter than with the Azzurri.

2. delp_07

delp_07 New Member

Oct 20, 2004

Cassano when are you gonna do players like totti and del piero and vieri and montella and inzaghi

3. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Actually, pretty soon because I'm getting limited suggestions.

4. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Angelo Peruzzi

[​IMG]

Angelo Peruzzi was born on February 16, 1970 in Blera, a town in the Viterbo province, which is in the Lazio region. His nicknames are Orsone (big bear) and 'Tyson', because of his big physique. Peruzzi was part of the Roma youth system, and made his Serie A debut at 17 on December 13, 1987 against Milan. Peruzzi came in for Tancredi, who was hit by a bottle cap, and Roma won 2-0. For the next season he was loaned out to Verona, where he played a superb season, and was essential to Verona avoiding relegation. It was in this season that Peruzzi said he made his best ever save. He saved Roberto Mancini's penalty kick in a game where Verona had to win to avoid relegation. After that season, Roma took him back and made him starting keeper. After 4 games, Peruzzi and ex-Napoli forward Andrea Carnevale were found positive for drug use after the game Roma - Bari on September 23, 1990l. They took Lipopill, a pharmaceutical drug that contained a banned substance called Fentermina. They were both suspended for one year, and Peruzzi did not get along with the Roma officials and wanted a transfer. Juventus came to his aid and brought the young keeper to Torino. In '92 coach Trapattoni made this announcement: "I'm sorry for Tacconi (Juve's starting keeper) but from today on Juve's #1 is Peruzzi". Tacconi was very bitter because of this, and the two never spoke and were never friends. Peruzzi has actually said that Tacconi was the worst teammate he's had, and the best was other Juve keeper Michelangelo Rampulla. Peruzzi spent 8 solid seasons at Juventus, winning 3 Scudetti, 1 Champion's League, 1 Inter continental cup, 1 European SuperCup, 2 Italian SuperCups, 1 UEFA Cup, an 1 Coppa Italia. During this time, he also became Italy's #1 keeper. With the National Team he played in Euro '96, but was injured for World Cup '98, leaving Gianluca Pagliuca with the starting job. For Euro 2000, Zoff called him in as a third keeper, but Peruzzi refused the call, saying "The mascots for Euro 2000 are already chosen..." Christian Abbiati took his spot. After the solid years at Juventus, he went to play for Inter under Lippi. Inter had a horrible year, and after that he agreed a switch to Lazio. The main reason he went to Lazio was because of the distance between his hometown Blera, and the Formello training ground (30 miles). He has since played some great games for Lazio and is still a very solid keeper. He has won a Coppa Italia, and last year Trappatoni called him in as the third keeper for the Euro 2004 squad (this time, he accepted).

5. delp_07

delp_07 New Member

Oct 20, 2004

Actually can you go back a bit and do Gianni rivera to me he is the best italian there ever was.

6. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

A very good profile on Peruzzi and as for his transfer to Juve, it was one of Juve's best moves.

7. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I was actually thinking, since this thread is coming to an end, that I'll probably start an "Great Italian Player Thread: Pre-90's edition".

8. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

cassano if you are still looking to do some more how about Attilio Lombardo, Enrico Chiesa or Di Livio??...

9. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Attilio Lombardo will be done, and I was actually thinking of Chiesa too. All 3 will be done. So here's the "Coming Attractions":

Attilio Lombardo
    Angelo Di Livio
    Enrico Chiesa

10. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CassanoFutureofItaly again.

somebody pick me up....

11. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Attilio Lombardo

[​IMG]

Attilio Lombardo was born on January 6, 1966 in Santa Maria la Fossa, in the province of Caserta in the Campania region. He began his career in 1983 at US Pergocrema, a team from the city of Crema, near Cremona. They were in Serie C2. In his first season he played 7 games and scored 2 goals. In his second season, he became a starter, and played 32 games, scoring 7 goals. Cremonese, a Serie B team, bought Lombardo. He played in 4 successful seasons at Cremonese, only missing 2 matches over a 4-year span. At Cremonese, he was noticed as a superb winger, with a ferocious shot and excellent touch. Paolo Mantovani, the Sampdoria owner, watched a Cremonese game and was determined to buy Lombardo. He did, and Lombardo played every game of the 89-90 season. It was at Samp that Lombardo earned the nickname "Braccio di Ferro", which is the Italian name for the cartoon character "Popeye". Look at his picture and you'll see a resemblance. He was also known for his humor and was an excellent motivator in the dressing room. He started his international career on December 22, 1990 in a Euro qualifier against Cyprus. He even scored on his debut. Altogether, he collected 18 caps during his career, but never represented Italy at a major tournament. He was part of the Samp team that won so much. He won a Cup-Winners Cup, a Scudetto, a Coppa Italia, and an Italian Supercup. He stayed at Samp until June 1995, when Juventus bought the winger. He didn't play much in his first season, only playing in 13 games, but he won the Champion's League, and the next season he won the Euro SuperCup and the Intercontinental Cup. He only played 22 games in the 96-97 season and looked to move abroad. For the 97-98 season, Crystal Palace took him to England. He was still nicknamed "Popeye", and played 25 games, scoring 2 goals. In March of 1998, Palace were in relegation trouble, and they named Attilio Lombardo and ex-Parma player Tomas Brolin to be player/managers. It didn't work out and Palace were relegated. Lombardo stayed on for the following season, and played 24 games, scoring 3 goals before being sold to Lazio in January of 1999. He played 14 games in the second half of the season, scoring one goal. He won the Cup-Winner's Cup that year, and the next season played in 11 games, and Lazio went on to win the Coppa Italia and the Scudetto. He then went back to Sampdoria in Serie B, where he played for two seasons, and ended his career in 2002. He is now a youth team coach at Samp.

12. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Another great summary, Cassano. Great picture too.

13. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Thanks! Up next, Angelo Di Livio.

14. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario

Baggio has gotten a bad rap for that miss, most people fail to point out had he scored and brazil scored on thier next kick Italy would of lost anyway.

15. ikerbm

ikerbm New Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Bilbao

Marazola
    Cassano really great thread. Thanks.

16. gazza

gazza Member

Dec 15, 2004

Amazing stuff Cassano. Your dedication is truly amazing. My favorite is R. Baggio. My first memory of football is him in the World Cup.

reped. :)

17. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

It's about time we celebrate and revere our great players!!!

My two favorite all time players for Italia..... Roberto Baggio - a great ambassador for Italian Football and GIanfranco Zola - a magician !

Baggio and Zola, my favorites.

Viva La Roma!!

Viva L ' Italia!!!!

18. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC

that pic of Baggio is terrible by the way. he looks chubby. almost american.

19. fizer

fizer New Member

Dec 8, 2005

Ravanelli la leggenda vivente; un uomo un perche penna biaca ritorna alla juveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee c'e servi come il pane(altro che quella donneta di Del Piero).
    Azz altrimenti altri 10 anni di attesa per una coppa dei campioni.
    VIULEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENZAAAAAAAA (diego Abatantuomo rulla anche se milanista doc) :p

20. LA CURVA SUD ROMA

LA CURVA SUD ROMA BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 24, 2005
    Montreal

G_D bless Roby, I love you brother :(

21. elpipeman

elpipeman New Member

Nov 11, 2005
    ENVIGADO
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

The Great Dino Zoff

[​IMG]

22. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I realized that I still have two more biographies to do, and I never finished them. Plus, I have a sudden urge to do these again.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Angelo Di Livio

[​IMG]

Angelo Di Livio was born in Rome on July 26, 1966. He is nicknamed "Il Soldatino" [Little Soldier] because of his stature and his combative play. Di Livio is known as being a leader on the field, and he never gives up. He was a part of the Roma first team in the 1984-85 season, but did not make an appearance. Roma decided to let him go and he was picked up by Reggiana. He was somewhat nomadic, moving to Nocerina, then Perugia, and then Padova. When he began to impress at Padova, Juventus decided to pick him up. He remained with Juventus until the 1998/1999 season, winning three Italian league titles, a Coppa Italia, two Italian Super Cups, the UEFA Champions League, the European Super Cup and the Intercontinental Cup. He was known as a combative midfielder that was everywhere on the pitch. During this time, he made his debut for the Azzurri on September 6, 1995 against Slovenia. For Italy, he played in Euro '96, World Cup '98, Euro 2000, and at 36 years old was called up to play in World Cup 2002. Because of his "never say die" reputation, Trappatoni put him in as a sub in the game against South Korea to win some balls in midfield. After the 1998/99 season, he was sold to Fiorentina, where he won a Coppa Italia, but the team was relegated and in shambles. Di Livio dedicated himself to La Viola, going with them to Serie C2 and enjoying the ride all the way until they reached Serie A. He was 38, and did not figure much throughout the season. Dino Zoff, the Fiorentina manager near the end of the season, started playing Di Livio regularly when they were in relegation trouble. Angelo inspired the squad and it came down to the last matchday against Brescia. Fiorentina won, and when the final whistle blew, Di Livio started screaming at the top of his lungs in joy, "E Finita! E Finita!" (It's Finished!). After the season, Di Livio wanted to get a new contract offer, but Fiorentina didn't give him one. They talked about giving him a coaching job, but that never came. Lucchese offered him a contract, but he said no thanks and just retired.

23. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Enrico Chiesa

[​IMG]

Enrico Chiesa was born December 29, 1970 in Genoa. He started his career with Sampdoria, starting off as a 17 year old in 1987/88, but only made 1 appearance in 3 seasons. Samp loaned him out to Teramo and Chieti, for the next two seasons, playing in Serie C2 one year and C1 another. He scored 11 goals in 55 appearances between the two teams. When thhe 92/93 season rolled around, Sampdoria decided to take him back, and he made 26 appearances in Serie A, scoring only one goal. Sampdoria decided that the young talent needed more experience in the top division, and loaned him out to newly-promoted Cremonese. He was a vital part of the Cremonese squad, scoring 14 times in 34 games, leading Cremonese to an unlikely salvezza. With the departure of Roberto Mancini, Sampdoria took Chiesa back for the 1995/96 season, and Chiesa became one of the best strikers in Serie A. He scored 22 goals in 27 appearances, and earned a call-up to Euro '96. With the Azzurri, Chiesa made 16 appearances, scoring 7 goals. He was a last-minute replacement for the injured Ravanelli at World Cup '98. After Euro '96, Parma bought Chiesa. He did a good job at Parma, scoring many goals, but Chiesa has had many injuries during his career, and without them would've probably been more prolific. After the 98/99 season, Fiorentina needed to buy good players to keep Gabriel Batistuta happy and in Florence. Chiesa was brought in, but was also fighting for a place with Predrag Mijatovic, and only scored 6 goals. The next season, Batistuta left, and the team was plagued with financial problems and injuries. Chiesa was relied on to perform and did. He scored 22 goals in 30 games, but Fiorentina were relegated. After that, he had a spell at Lazio, but was injured a lot and figured in few matches. With his contract up, Chiesa decided to follow the 'Baggio route' and join a smaller squad where he could play most of the time. He found that team in Siena, and has been playing there since, leading them to consecutive salvezza's. He is one of the top active scorers in Serie A, scoring over 120 goals. He has also recently said that he has no intention of retiring anytime soon and will play until he isn't physically able anymore.

24. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Great stuff as always Cassano.

If you are interested in creating these profiles again, I was wondering if you could do one on former Juve player Giancarlo Marocchi? I don't know a lot about him.

25. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You got it...