The GREAT EIGHTH!

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Wessoman, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay--We all know that there have only been SEVEN winners of the World Cup. (Brazil, Italy, Argentina, Germany, England, France and Uruguay) Will World Cup 2006 have a new winner? Or will it be a previous winner?

I am saying, right now. The Oranje are due. The Netherlands will be the 8th team to win the World Cup.
    :D

2. Legionista

Legionista New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Warszawa/Toronto
    imho one of the former 7

3. Buschkauz

Buschkauz New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    im Pfälzer Wald
    one of former champions

4. RuudVanLineker

RuudVanLineker New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    if we go by all post war wc's
    1) one of germany or brazil , or both, will be in the final (except '50, where it was the 'final' game of the tournament, but of a league format)
    2) it will be a final contested between a european and a non european team
    3) it will be won by a european team( except '58)

so, go and put all yr money on germany (even though this is painfull for me to say it)

if it is to be a new team, i want trinidad and tobago or australia, or maybe sweden. these are all full of english league players, it would be the closest thing to seeing england win it

5. Saugatak

Saugatak New Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Southern California
    No disrespect intended for Urugay . . . they did win WC twice . . . 40 or so years ago . . . but they really don't belong with the other winners IMO.

France is deserving of more respect than Urugay because they won fairly recently and they qualify on a regular basis, but again, it's not like France is a perennial threat to win the WC.

England has also only won once, but they're a real threat to win the WC on a regular basis.

So I think this poll should have as its top group:

Brazil
    Germany
    Italy
    Argentina
    England

with France and Uruguay (are they even in this year?) being separate.

6. Suisse2006

Suisse2006 New Member

Nov 23, 2005
    Who are the 3% that vote for USA :D :D :D that is the biggest joke of football history. Except if they use their normal vitamines (All the prohibited substances in sport) they will never pass the first round.

When Americans will start to be clean in sport?

7. mookhead

mookhead New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Metro Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Hey Suisse2006, it's called thinking positive. You never know what could happen. Did anyone think that Senegal would go so far last world cup??? I know it's a little outlandish to think that the US could win it all, but why not think positive. We have confidence in our team doing well. Maybe it's something you and your fans should consider doing.

8. ShaRule

ShaRule Member

May 5, 2005
    Belgium - Iran
    Netherlands!

9. Milos

Milos Member+

Sep 6, 2003
    Iacon
    Club:
    Coventry City FC
    I can't see there being a new winner of the world cup. Its going to be out of the former winners for this one. If I really had to choose a new winner then I would go for the Netherlands.

10. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I agree that USA would be about the same chance as Australia of winning the Cup - ie almost none - but I would give either of them a MUCH better chance than Switzerland

11. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Being postive of your team is wonderful. But don't let that get in the way of being realistic.

12. RuudVanLineker

RuudVanLineker New Member

Oct 11, 2005

france regualry qualify for the world cup???? sorry, but u dont know sh/i///t
    1990: failed to qualify
    1994: failed to qualify
    1998: auomatic qualifier
    2002: automatic qualifier
    so this is the first wc in 20 years they have qualified for, you really embarrased yrself on that one

13. Suisse2006

Suisse2006 New Member

Nov 23, 2005
    :p :p :p Aussie are starting to talk about football.... Just a suggestion, keep playing wonderful game....cricket, and aussie football. Don't forget that there is only 8 000 000 people in Switzerland but apart Rugby, cricket and maybe few other sports, we have more success than Australia.

Even without sea we have won the America's Cup!!!!

When was your last world cup? 1974?

14. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it appears Wynalda and Balboa both voted for the US so that is your 3%.

15. mookhead

mookhead New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Metro Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Suisse2006 chill out with your old world arrogance. Most Euros don't want to see countries like Australia and USA(New world) succeed in Football. Especially if they come from countries where that haven't won anything football related on the world stage for sometime(Switzerland) oh I should say never. Yes, I know that the US probably won't win, but I at least give them a chance since they are representing me. I would never call you an idiot for saying that Switzerland could win it all...

16. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    The Czech Republic.

17. sohka88

sohka88 New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Final = Argentina Vs Brazil

18. Pottermaniac

Pottermaniac New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    RGV, texas
    and Mexico vs Germany final, with Mexico winning. :eek:

19. PanchoM

PanchoM Member

Nov 3, 2001
    PalmsPlace

England won it at home in '66 with a Crook Ref beating Argentina, and a phantom goal in the final. they are worst then Korea at cheating .

You really did embarass yourself with that post :D

20. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    You missed the point there.

The implication was that the win doesn't count for much (in the context of this thread).

21. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    I admire your optimism but my goodness that seems unlikely.

22. dooodoool

dooodoool New Member

Nov 30, 2005

hey one can always dream :D

23. dooodoool

dooodoool New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    i say portugal!

24. Someone else!
    to be more specific, Australia

25. Saugatak

Saugatak New Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Southern California

Thank you for taking the words right out of my mouth :)