The good, the bad, and the ugly -- with the pretty possibly left behind

Discussion in 'Group C: Colombia, Ivory Coast, Japan, Greece' started by Iranian Monitor, Jan 5, 2014.

1. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    what would your best starting 11 be out of that list?

2. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I'm pretty open to suggestions as to several slots in defence (GK and one CB), but if I could I would attempt:

-----------------Mande-----------------
    ----------Viera----------Bamba--------
    -Aurier-------------------------Djakpa-
    ------------Serey Die---Tiote-----------
    -----------------Y. Toure---------------
    -Kalou-----------------------Gervinho-
    ------------Drogba / Bony-------------

I would interchange Drogba and Bony, letting one start one game and the other one to start a second game. Bony would be better vs Japan, but Drogba is a no-brainer for Greece. Not sure about Colombia, but I think Bony's pace would prove more beneficial.

3. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

-------------------Ospina--------------
    -----------Balanta----Yepes-----------
    --Arias-----------------------Zuniga--
    --------Sanchez-------Aguilar---------
    --Cuadrado---------------James-----
    -----------Teo-------Bacca------------

Colombia's system is very versatile in a playmaking ball possession style both the middle and up the wings. Our Wing backs like Zuniga and Arias can double back and forth with their pace and work rates, even taking part in attacking. Same can be done with Cuadrado and James who have just enough work rate to double back and help strengthen the defense when needed. Sanchez and Aguilar's abilities to defend while maintaining the balance between our defense and midfield. And I don't need to explain the strikers.

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Ivory coast looked a lot better in attack today but still only defeated a young inexperienced El Salvador squad 2-1.

5. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    They were barely even trying, not to mention the ref dashed El Salvador a laughable penalty and then followed that call immedietly by calling back a legitimate breakaway by Gervinho. Twice I believe he did that. Match was of no use really but to get a physical workout in the Miami climate. Hot and humid. Drogba looks a far better option than Bony despite his age.

6. SirJamesBond

SirJamesBond Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Franklin, TN
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

replace Bacca with Quintero, Arias with Armero IMO

-------------------Ospina--------------
    -----------Balanta----Yepes-----------
    --Zuniga-----------------------Armero--
    --------Sanchez-------Aguilar---------
    --Cuadrado------Quintero---------James-----
    ----------------------Teo---------------------

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Colombia almost never plays well with one forward. Under Pekerman (and historically) they have played their best soccer with two forwards.
    And although Teo has slowly established himself as a starter, as a lone striker I believe he would fail miserably.

Bacca has played very well in Spain and scored in his last start for Colombia so he pretty much is penciled in to start in my book along side Teo.

8. SirJamesBond

SirJamesBond Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Franklin, TN
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

where are u getting one forward?

in that formation they would play a 4-3-3 with Cuadrado and James higher up the pitch when needed or a 4-5-1 if they wanted to play defensively

Colombia's best players are the wingers and fullbacks so they should try to exploit the width of the pitch

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Cuadrado and James are not forwards. That is where I am getting it from
    Within Pekerman's system we do a lot better with two pure forwards out there such as Bacca and Teo or Jackson and Teo.

Froboy69 repped this.
  10. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If we play with 1 forward I prefer it to be Ramos or Jackson that play in their clubs that way. Bacca and Teo by themselves don't work. Or Ibarbo for Teo and basically play a False 9 formation

I prefer Yepes not be a starter come knockout rounds. Other then that its works

11. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Final official frienly result:
    Ireland - Portugal 1:5
    52' James McClean - 3', 37' Hugo Almeida, 20' OG Richard Keogh, 78' Vierinha, 85' Fabio Coentrao
    Group G looking more and more ridiculous...

12. karpouzeiro

karpouzeiro Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    the bad will be Japan.They have fast style but technically they are bad as a whole.The ugly is Greece and i believe with their ugly football and their strong defensive style will pass the group as second.

13. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    lol what? Technique is the one thing Japan does have.
    Defense is sketchy as all hell, forwards are not always clinical and don't have much of a "killer mentality" ... but the midfielders are always very high quality with outstanding technique.
    Japan has always played like a poor man's Spain. As we saw today, that doesn't always win matches... but I'd not call them "bad". I'm not sure there is a "bad" in this group though. No Costa Rica, Australia, etc.

Froboy69 repped this.
  14. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    If there is one thing Japan are not, it is technically bad.
    They may lose every match (I don't expect that at all, but anything's possible), but it won't be due to technical deficiencies if they do.

15. karpouzeiro

karpouzeiro Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    told you so....

16. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    You were right.