The Gold Cup will be played in Mexico

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by Various Styles, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Gold Cup final to be played at Azteca stadium

[​IMG]

Televisa Deportes is reporting that there is a big possibility that the Gold Cup final will be played at the Colosus of Saint Ursula "Azteca Stadium" and that Brazil is likely to participate in the gold cup which can only mean one possible grand finale of Mex vs Bra...

http://www.esmas.com/deportes/futbol/primeradivision/279156.html

2. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
  3. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Gold Cup to be played in Mexico

La Copa de Oro se jugaría en México

NUEVA YORK, 26 de febrero.- Hoy se ha conocido aquí la intención de la Confederación de Futbol (antes Concacaf), para que la Copa de Oro 2003 se lleve a cabo en México.

Esta versión, de la que ya se había hablado en Panamá, durante el desarrollo del Torneo de Naciones ganado por Costa Rica, se confirma esta noche.

Trascendió que la Copa de Oro, que hasta la fecha siempre se celebró en terreno estadounidense, se jugaría en varias plazas de México, como Monterrey y Guadalajara, y que la final se disputaría en el estadio Azteca, del Distrito Federal, debido a la posibilidad de una guerra contra Irak.

Inicialmente, la Copa de Oro estaba programada para disputarse del 12 al 27 de julio, en Washington, Nueva York, Boston y Miami.

Ya están clasificados seis de los 12 equipos; dos más surgirán de la eliminatoria del Caribe, en marzo; y dos más de la recalificación entre Honduras y los segundos del Caribe.

Los doce equipos los completarán Colombia y Brasil o Perú, como invitados.

http://www.esto.com.mx/030227/futbol/2futbol.asp

4. BennyDee19

BennyDee19 New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Ohio
    Isn't the US the host??? Why would we play in the final in Mexico??

-PB20

5. michael greene

Oct 31, 2002
    Re: Gold Cup to be played in Mexico

My Spanish is bad, this says the whole tournament might move to Mex, not just the final, due to the potential of war, right?

Thanks.

6. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    What the article say is if war breaks out with Iraq CONCACAF might move the Gold Cup to Mexico. With cities like Monterrey and Guadalajara hosting the group stages and Azteca holding the final.

7. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Gold Cup

According to the article the TFC had proposed changing the final of the Gold Cup during the UNCAF games (Central American qualifiers) and Now because of the possibilities that the U.S will go to War they are proposing having the whole tournament in Mexico.

Last year in a meeting between the FMF. TFC and FIFA the Mexican FA agreed to help improve the region by taking the tournaments more seriously and helping the smaller fed's in any way they could. I guess this is just the TFC saying you scratch our back we will scratch yours..

8. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    well... from different sources i have read...

IF war does brake out, they just might have it in Mexico.

But they are also thinking of letting MExico host thier group in MExico...So if War is not a problem, they will let Mexico host thier group in MExico and the final will take place in MExico

nothing is confirmed.... but these reports started coming out at the end of the UNCAF cup

9. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    La Copa de Oro, en México

La Confut lo hará oficial, dice la FMF. Brasil, con todas sus figuras, entre los invitados a la justa. La final será en el Azteca. Sin negarlo, la Federación Mexicana de Futbol tiene en planes realizar la Copa de Oro 2003 en México. Sin embargo, Alberto de la Torre, presidente del organismo, dejó al margen dicho anuncio, aunque tampoco negó que haya oficialmente un acercamiento y la petición, pero será la misma Confederación de Futbol quien lo dé a conocer de manera oficial.

The Gold Cup will be played in Mexico, The TFC will make it official in a few days. Brazil will also bring in their senior team and the final will be played at Azteca Stadium...

http://www.milenio.com/deportes/nota.asp?id=15392

10. iowa007

iowa007 Member

Apr 30, 2001
    California
    en mi opinion

creen que la gente del DF van a ir a ver la final entre los estados unidos y brasil?

just a thought, yes, it could be mex. Vs. Brasil, but it could also be US Vs. Brasil....

i hope for a good upset thought...those make things way more interesting...

iowa007

11. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    VS thanks for the heads up and the follow up. South Africans have told me that the most painful sanction from 1961 to 1995 was the sports sanction. Americans should get to know these new clothes unless we change our polices.

12. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Re: en mi opinion

Mexico will not face Brazil or US in any round except the final. It is most likely that the US faces Brazil in the semis. The only upset possibilities i see is if Costa Rica/Colombia beats el Tri then the final could be without its host..

13. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara

Do you mean this has got to do with the lawsuit against the USSF ???

14. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Re: Re: en mi opinion

I'd imagine that CONCACAF would set it so that Colombia and Brazil would have to meet before the final. No way do they want two CONMEBOL teams in the final.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm all for the Gold Cup moving around, so long as the host nation can still produce the revenue. But moving out of the US if there's a war is pretty stupid, because I'd say the chance of Iraq breaking through our lines and launching an amphibious assault on Los Angeles is basically zero. As for terrorism...I'm against this war, and one reason is because I think it will help al-Qaeda raise money more effectively. But that won't have an impact right away. I honestly don't think the war will increase the chance of terrorism over the next 6-8 months. Finally, if this is about sanctions, don't be a p**** about it. Ban the US from the whole thing. Or ban from hosting all nations that vote for the war on the Security Council (if you get my drift.)

16. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

New England fans wont like this at all. They have been advertising tickets for the gold Cup as part of the season ticket package. Just what the Rev front office needs if it is true. I will believe it when I see it.

17. Warner doesn't care about New England Revs.

18. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're both wrong. It's a floor wax AND a dessert topping!

Congrats, Thomas, you've finally been able to equate Title IX with apartheid. I guess it's all just downhill from here, huh?

Anyway, the locations for GC03 are now official.

I can't remember who said it, but this is probably a little bit of Jack the Ripper and the FMF doing a little back scratching.

The question I have is if the fianl is again Colombia and Canada, does Azteca get more than 2,000?

19. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Re: You're both wrong. It's a floor wax AND a dessert topping!

Originally posted by Eric B

I can't remember who said it, but this is probably a little bit of Jack the Ripper and the FMF doing a little back scratching.

That was me, allways a step ahead of everyone :D

The question I have is if the fianl is again Colombia and Canada, does Azteca get more than 2,000?

Did you not watch jAPOREA 02. Korea which had never won a WC game reached teh Semis. And your telling me that Mexico which has three Gold Cups will not reach the final playing all Games at the Azteca.

20. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    im looking forward to seeing mexico vs brazil or usa in the final at estadio azteca!

imagine the u.s beating mexico at estadio azteca in the final, that would be awesome.

21. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: You're both wrong. It's a floor wax AND a dessert topping!

Will Byron Moreno be officiating any matches? :D

22. Heródoto

Heródoto New Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Guanajuato, México
    No, That would be a miracle ;)