The Gold Cup bites!

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by lkeniston, Jul 10, 2005.

1. moreno9

moreno9 Member+

Aug 24, 2002
    Henrico
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info Lastort. Knew about the contract but didn't realize it was a 10 year gig.

2. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Chicago's Bridgeview will also open next year.

3. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Hey, I like Telefutura because I get that channel, whereas I don't get Univision... :)

The Gold Cup is a minor tournament, just like most of the regional tournaments - the only one that seems to really matter is the European Cup. But that is more of a function of the disparity between the levels of the teams and the lack of numbers. The European Cup has qualifiers that mean something and only the top teams go (granted teams like Latvia or Switzerland can make it but it is different than Cuba).

The issue with Copa America, Gold Cup, and Oceania Cup is that the federations have only a few powerhouses (i.e. Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, US, Australia - at least until recently) and a few occasionally good teams (i.e. Uruguay, Paraguay, Chile, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, Jamaica, New Zealand) and a whole host of poor teams (i.e Venezuela, Barbados, Nicaragua, Cuba, Haiti, Tahiti, American Samoa)... A combined tournament with just both Comnebol and CONCACAF would be terrific. Then you wouldn't have "guest teams" and you could have actual qualifying. Hold the tournament every four years, two years off from the World Cup... Would make for a decent tournament.

As it is now the "whenever we feel like having it" Gold Cup, doesn't really help the top teams other than provide some nice venues for lesser players to get some time. I'm happy that Tino is getting some quality training and match practice but I would prefer him to be playing with DC right now (same goes for Olsen!).

4. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would also add that the African Nations Cup is also taken pretty seriously.

5. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well yes, but I'm just back from standing with Sams Army in The Fort and other than the layout of the field you'd never know that it had anything to do with soccer or with the Revs. The sign over the jumbotron says "Gillette Stadium, home of the Patriots". The Patriots' logo is everywhere, even on the towel dispensers in the men's room. There are large, three story high signs featuring Patriot's players on the outside of the stadium...no one from the Revs.

Bob owns the stadium all right, and apparently gives all of his love to his NFL team, not his MLS team.

Kinda sucks.

By the way, I thought Ben had a decent game tonight. And Tino spent a bit of the half time stretching out his right leg. Since he was pulling up on his toe, must be the calf he was stretching out. Hope that's not indicative of anything.

6. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I agree that the scheduling could be better but it's MLS that's out of synch, not the ROW.
    I disagree about the TV. Univision does a far better job with soccer than any of the "traditional" english language networks. (No inane sideline bimbos and good announcers) Keep in mind these games don't get bumped for celebrity texas hold-em tourmaments, paraplegic bobsledding or any of the other crap aired by ESPN. The US -Costa Rica game was aired with English subtitles last night. As far as I'm concerned keep soccer on Univision, they do the best job.

7. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    I've never been so utterly disinterested and hostile towards a tournament the USA was playing in than this one.

Canada? Cuba?

Give us our players back.

8. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs and the Wizards.

9. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I like their broadcasts generally, mostly because I love the enthusiasm of the announcers, but they constantly miss live action by showing five or six replays of inconsequential midfield action. They missed a goal over the weekend.

That bit of nit-picking aside, I'm with you. So far as I'm concerned, they can host every soccer broadcast. My Spanish is decent enough that I get most of what they're saying. I haven't tried the captioning. That might be too distracting for me.

10. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, did anyone else notice the ReMax (or some real estate co) ad with Raul Diaz Arce and Cerritos? (came on during the half) They were just sitting at a table like they were doing a signing at the company's office. Totally random, I was looking at RDA and thinking, that guy looks familiar!

K

11. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, they only had a small video clip of them (RDA and Cienfuegos, wasn't it?), so they played it two or three times during the commercial.

12. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, it was Cienfuegos. It was a very silly commercial

K

13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a fan of Spanish announcers on a broadcast, but that's because I can't understand anything but the player names (or their pronounciations of the names), but you can defeinitely tell by the voices when the action heats up.
    Last night, I discovered the English CC well into the second half. At one point, the announcers said:
    Well, Hold tight onto that paint brush, I'm about to remove the ladder...
    Now we're just messing with the people doing closed captioning.
    :)

Later they were talking about the moon watching the game, they were all over the place. If Rob Stone did that people would be whining. It was funny, but the CC was SO far behind, it was annoying other than the occassional comedy. The CC foks had a hard time with the name Ruiz, first it was typed Reis, then Reese :)

These games all seem to go about 5-10 minutes past the time allotted on the Tivo guide, so I missed the last two minutes of injury time. Knew I shouldn't have paused the game to throw the sausages on the grill ...... but you just have to have tailgate food during games :)

14. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    As far as spanish speaking announcers go, these Telefutura guys are actually quite fair and positive towards the US. With a few notable exceptions, a lot of spanish commentary can be pretty slanted towards the latino team. I appreciate that these guys go out of their way to be very professional about it all. At least that my understanding. (also, don't judge my spanish comprehension from my fake translations.)

Tim

15. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Those were fake translations? :confused:

:D

16. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if I'm reading this thread right, we fans are stuck with the current Club v Country situation until more teams have their own stadia. So how many actual stadiums will MLS need to control their schedule? The idea would be that those without can play away games during conflicts. So what's the magic number?

Dallas, LA, Chivas, and the sCrew have their own SSS.

United's is supposedly due in '07, Colorado is due a stadium next year (?), Chicago will have one soon, RSL is supposed to build one (right?), and the Metrodonkeys are supposed to announce one in 60-90 days.

The Revs are probably never going to get one, Kansas and San Jose will probably be relocated and get their own stadiums as part of the move.

So its possible in 3 to 4 years to actually be "in control" of the schedule with at least 9 of 12 teams in their own digs. If these stadiums are built do y'all think MLS and USSF will start to work together to maximize their audience?

17. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    oh, dude, you are just cracking me up!

18. moreno9

moreno9 Member+

Aug 24, 2002
    Henrico
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't this the statement that they've read every 60-90 days for the last few years? ;)

19. imp65

imp65 New Member

Mar 25, 2003
    sloburbia
    Reading this thread back, I see that revelation managed to have the same idea as I had for this week's column, namely a merger of the Gold Cup and Copa America, with an 8-team finals tournament to take place every four years:
    http://www.matchnight.com/?Page=ARTICLE&articleid=685

Revelation, you are clearly a visionary and a genius. When FIFA inevitably calls me to organize all this, I'll cut you in on 1% of my consultation fee (to be delivered in a standard FIFA-issue plain brown paper bag).

20. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Thanks, I would like my cut in five Euro notes please... :)

The thing is 8 teams seems a bit small but 16 is too much and I hate the organizational structure that 12 entails with "the two best third place teams". Oh well, with 8 teams, there would at least be some qualifying competition.

The major hurdle though remains convincing COMNEBOL to give up their non-grouped WC qualifying process. They need four years to get through that schedule where everyone plays everyone twice...

21. Frog Boy

Frog Boy Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    I am actually enjoying the tournament. Anytime I can watch the USMNT play I am all for it. Does anybody remember Preki's goal against Brazil in the Gold Cup many years ago? Plus, it was one of Keller's best performaces as a keeper (and that is saying alot).

22. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Re: The Gold Cup bites! [R]

results/impact below....

With Ben Olsen's red card, he should be available for DC vs. KC on Wednesday. BA allowed Dempsey and Noonan to play for NE after the US win. USMNT will be playing Thursday night at 6pm against Honduras.

23. RFK 315

RFK 315 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    ...lurking...
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

THANK YOU, Froggie !
    I have been enjoying it as well, despite its lack of prestige, the experimental lineups, and the impact on DCU. This is STILL the United States Mens National Team, coached by Bruce Arena, for crying out loud ! I've watched every game, in spanish * which I dont speak, and have really enjoyed it. If we make it to the Final, I hope to make the trek to the swamp and root on Benny, Tino,KK, JOHN OBRIEN, and the rest of our boys, because it still means something to them, and it means something to me, too!

* - loving the English closed captions, too - gracias, Telefutura !

24. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I call shenanigans if Olsen isn't allowed to play for us in our next game.

25. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

I'm assuming he will be. But you never know. Kind of sucks that NE picked up 3 more points with Dempsey and Noonan playing. Bet Dallas hadn't game planned for those 2.