The Gold Cup bites!

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by lkeniston, Jul 10, 2005.

1. lkeniston

lkeniston Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Richmond, Va.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Taking away some of our players in best form for ages!

2) No games on TV (Telefutura, who negotiated THAT?)

3) Who cares who wins it in a WC qualifying year?

I'm glad Tino got some caps, but other than that - the Gold Cup sucks butt!

2. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which to be honest with you is the only reason Tino and Benny are getting caps. Because they are saving the more experienced players for WCQ. We just have to live with it.

3. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really stopped caring about the Gold Cup around 8 years ago, when we had a league/club to support and the US Team was no longer in need of 'moral victories'.

4. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Not to mention that the US games have been incredibly boring.

5. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I turned on the last 15 or 20 minutes of the Cuba game and saw three goals, I'm not complaining!

Watched the first half of the Canada match yesterday, and yeah it was pretty boring but so is Canada so what did you expect?

The Gold Cup isn't the greatest tournament, but it's incredibly useful for Bruce to get looks at guys that otherwise wouldn't be seeing any time with the Nats, and some (like a Quaranta or Noonan, etc.) could help earn a regular spot because of it.

6. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Yeah it is a pretty big joke as a competition. I was talking to someone in the Barra yesterday who didn't even realize it is our confederation championship. That's how big a joke it is, people don't even realize its supposed significance.

7. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Il Bruce is also finding out who no longer is capable of playing at the international level (Sanneh, Vanney, Olsen - regrettably).

8. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why can't MLS take a break for these competitions? At least try and schedule the league around competitions like WCQ, Gold Cup, and the WC proper. What would be wrong with taking July and maybe August off and playing two small campaigns with the playoffs at the end of the year? We'd have a longer season and the USSF could get more coverage and support from people like me that really don't care one wit about any national team.

9. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I watching last nights Kansas game without Moreno, Quaranta, Esky, and Olsen on the field I was reminded of last years debacle in Dallas, also caused by starters out or injured. Like that game the team just has to be patient for everyone to come back.

As for Tino being away at the GC, that is probably the best thing for his confidence. His attitude is sky high and that's a good thing in the long run for United.

10. albionroad

albionroad Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because most of the teams in MLS don't own their own stadiums and have limited control over playing dates. Hopefully that will change down the road, but for now we make the best of it.

11. moreno9

moreno9 Member+

Aug 24, 2002
    Henrico
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I've sent them emails in past years asking at the least to not schedule games during US National Team games. I realize schedules on both sides can be a nightmare to schedule/reschedule with all of the logistics involved and the occasional last minute arrangement of an International match but it would seem that USSF and MLS would want both of their respective matches to be viewed by as many as possible. Not force the fans that want to watch both to have to choose. Then comes the fact that it's on Telefutura and not available in many areas (like mine) so it flies under the radar of fans, media, etc.

12. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Out of 10 teams, 3 are currently playing in stadiums that are owned by the league or the team that plays there - the Galaxy, Chivas USA and the Crew. FC Dallas will have a stadium next month.

Until every team in the league has its own stadium, we're going to have to deal with scheduling conflicts, which means that the league won't be able to stop play during FIFA and/or CONCACAF tournaments - be they World Cup Qualifiers, the Gold Cup or the World Cup finals themselves.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that's just the way it is.

And the reason the Gold Cup is on Telefutura is that Jack Warner and CONCACAF sold the rights to the games to Univision in about 1996 or so, and Univision has elected to show the games on Telefutura. To the best of my knowledge, the contract was sold for ten years, so at some point Univision will lose the rights. Hopefully at that time SUM and/or USSF will be able to buy broadcast rights for those game.

13. lkeniston

lkeniston Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Richmond, Va.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info Mike. What a stoopid deal - 10 year rights?!

14. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Easy, Gold Cup conceptually sucks because it's mid season for MLS but during break for pretty much the R.O.W. All the games I've watched have been the equal or better than MLS games. I'm glad the spanish speaking TV industry supports all soccer and they deserve props. Remember Poker is a bigger draw on ESPN than MLS.

15. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike, there's 12 teams now.

I make the same mistake a lot. Funny thing is, when I try to rattle off teams, I don't leave out Chivas or RSL, it's teams like the Rapids. :)

16. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Doh!

I knew that. But 3 out of 12 is even worse than 3 out of 10 when it comes to stadium ownership. :)

17. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well 4 of 12, Chivas plays at HCD. ;)

18. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How 'bout we split the difference and say 3 out of 11 venues? :)

19. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Currently, we got Chivas, the Gals and the Crew.

That's three.

We'll have Dallas next month, which will be four.

Did I miss someone?

20. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No comparison at all between those 2 games. I think people are going over the deep end about the KC game. DC dominated the KC game, both shots and overall chances. The team lost the game because the finishing sucked, big-time. The Dallas game was a completely different beast. Dallas dominated from start to finish, and we didn't even look competitive. Two losses that couldn't really have resembled each other less.

21. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not an SSS, but doesn't Robert Kraft own and control Gillette Stadium?

22. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Colorado is building one - done next year?

23. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Bob owns the stadium (he built with his own money). Gillette just bought the naming rights.

K

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't think the DC-KC game suffered too much due to Gold Cup Callups. The LA-Metros game suffered so badly this past weekend, it was a joke. The Galaxy lost 4 players to the Gold Cup. Combine that with injuries to Albright and other key players, and then Sampson decided to rest Cobi and Jovan. The collection of players out there was an absolute disgrace. Sure, it's good to give some of those guys a game, but LA could do nothing. They got a great fluky goal from Herculez Gomez from a ridiculous angle, and that was it.

25. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Yeah, but the Revs schedule is still at the mercy of the NFL, and likely will be until they get a stadium all their own.