The God Delusion: A Logical Fallacy?

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by Solid444, Feb 24, 2009.

1. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    We do know the effects of gravity. We just don't know the reason for it.

We do know the cause of rain, volcanoes etc. The inability to predict accurately is simply a consequence of it being difficult to accurately model such a complex system as the weather or the changing pressure of the tectonic plates. We know the causes of these things and we also know that they are not caused or prevented by the amount of offerings we make to Horus or Neptune. There is no supernatural cause for these phenomena to occur. Our knowledge of the Universe is clearly far from complete but don't pretend that we know nothing. We know a great deal and our knowledge is increasing every day at an ever increasing rate. People are generally brought up to have a scientific and enquiring viewpoint. This is a massive change in mindset compared to the past where religious dogma offered explanations for unknown phenomena and actively discouraged dissenting explanations.

We do now know what causes rain and volcanoes, arguing otherwise is ridiculous. These things were once attributed to supernatural interventions but now they are suitably explainable. You may think Volcanologists, Geologists and Meteorologists are somehow frauds and charlatans but I do not. Is your theory for Global Warming the Wrath of Thor? LOL

If you wish to argue that we know virtually nothing about anything, then that is up to you. I disagree though. :D

2. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Yes, which is great. But irrational assumptions are added on to that method. For example, with modern medicine almost every remedy ever known before was thrown out the window by the medical establishment. The attitude developed that what hadn't been proven wasn't true. So the "scientific and enquiring" viewpoint led to unscientific and un-enquiring stupidity. When I saw a university doctor years ago about how to be a healthy vegetarian, I was told that people couldn't survive on a vegetarian diet. Except I had lived in India where millions of people were surviving on that diet. Doctors now, after many scientific advances, seem much more humble and reasonable about what they know and don't know.

I think many of us are passing through a similar stage of scientific arrogance that the medical community went through. We've seen progress so rapid that we can't possibly keep up with all new discoveries in all fields. But the cosmologist linked earlier in this thread said the present day attitude (not his) about origins was that what happened before the big bang wasn't spoken of. Basically the attitude is the scientific equivalent of sticking fingers in ears and yelling "LA LA LA LA."

When pressed we hear that the big bang really was the beginning, because before that there was no time and space, end of discussion. To me it sounds suspiciously like "God made the universe and that's that." Who made God? "LA LA LA LA!" It also sounds like "no one can survive on a vegetarian diet."