The Goat to say goodbye

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by Desigol, May 9, 2003.

1. Eyal Berkovic

Eyal Berkovic New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Manchester
    BLUES goalscoring legend Shaun Goater could be set for a switch to the Stadium of Light – providing Sunderland boss Mick McCarthy can offload some of his strikers.

The City fans hero looks set to leave Manchester after netting more than 100 goals in five seasons, and the Black Cats have emerged as favourites to sign him.

However, the former Ireland boss and Blues defender already has seven strikers on the relegated club’s books, including proven internationals Kevin Phillips and Tore Andre Flo, but that hasn’t stopped McCarthy targeting Goater as the answer to their goalscoring needs.

“I have met Shaun and he’s a great lad,” McCarthy told the official Sunderland website. “We’ll need someone like Shaun, someone who will get us plenty of goals in the first division.

“At the moment I’ve got Kev Phillips, Tore Andrew Flow, Lilian Laslandes, Kevin Kyle, Marcus Stewart and Michael Proctor. There will be no one knew coming in while I’ve still got all of them.

“If they are all still here come the start of the season then we have to get goals out of them. But if the wheels were put in motion and we end up with the chance to bring someone in, then someone like Shaun – a player with pace, a proven goalscorer at this level and an enthusiastic person – that’s the kind of player who would appeal to me.”

07/07/2003

2. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Dune

Dune Member

Feb 10, 1999