The Global Warming Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by NickyViola, Nov 30, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Re: Climategate: it's all unravelling now

Or for that matter any of the three threads we have on Hacked-Emailgate.

2. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. dogface

dogface Let's Just Pretend

Jun 22, 2002
    St. Peter, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Like you've read Hamlet. :rolleyes:

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  5. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

1 person likes this.
  6. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra

You're funny.

You mean a few emails refute hundreds of thousands of peer reviewed papers written by tens of thousands of scientists?

Get real.

7. KevTheGooner

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra

On what grounds to you call the massive collection of rigorous science "whackjobs" and "liars." Just because you don't like the answer the scientific community is giving you shouldn't make you call them names. Do you call the pharmaceutal and medical industry whackjobs and liars? How about the guys who run the water treatment plant in your town?

My point: you can't morally accept the science that makes your life easier and ridicule the science that asks you to make hard choices about your life.

2 people repped this.
  8. KevTheGooner

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra

80%

Reducing emissions by 1% a year in the next 50 years can prevent the climate from going over the very scary and very real +3C threshold.

Some, but they are minor. And they are basically insigificant when compared to climate warming induced releases of additional gasses (methane, the worst of all GHGs) from arctic peat, tropical forest, and seafloor methane (which can spectacularly set off fireballs across the sky...sign me up for that apocalypse, thank you). Basically, at +3C it's goodbye Holocene, hello hellish future on earth.

1 person likes this.
  9. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Right wingers once again are proving that they should stay away from discussions pertaining to scientific process. Just like they should stay away from the economy and away from new media.

Idiots. They should STFU.

10. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Shhh - ixnay on the ourinatedflay aterway. We don't want to even discuss how us ivoryway owertay folks indmay ontrolcay the assesmay.

But if you have to - keep using code. The ubesray don't understand atinray.

11. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Great quote. Repped.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Reality has a liberal bias.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-and-world/la-na-climate-emails3-2009dec03,0,2224917.story

Shouldn't we close this particular thread now? It's premise has been categorically disproven.

13. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

I must admit that I haven't, but I plan to. Perhaps there is a clue in there as to why he had Logan Pause, John Thorrington and Brandon Prideaux taking penalty kicks in the shootout. :D

This reminds me a bit of the Bush/Rather affair. Once the docs were exposed as fakes, that meant that Bush was a decorated fighter pilot with an immaculate attendance record in the air guard to some.

It's the politics of the small. Find an evil bogey man to attack and all related arguments are justified or verified.

14. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999

This Gate crap is driving me nuts. superdave ate a mustard based sauce in CarolinaQGate. Pathegon drove a Ford in DetroitCarGate. puttputtfc drank vodka in BourbonGate. (I was young I needed the money.) Chris M ordered a hamburger from Flash Taco in BucktownGate.

Anytime something is named X-Gate I immediately tune it out. If the world burns up tomorrow that's fine as long a scandal ends in something other than gate.

1 person likes this.
  15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If there's ever a scandal involving the Golden Gate bridge, there will be a lot of too-cute-by-half headlines tormenting you.

16. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis

Wasn't there a different thread with a bunch of the same stupid in it a week or two ago?

17. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999

Piss me off worse than a Palin rally.

18. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In related news:

Child star Kirk Cameron has exposed the ugly truth the Hitler really dug Charles Darwin, thus exposing evolutionary theory to be total hooey. Evolution-gate: It's all unraveling now.

Thierry Henry's handball against Ireland has revealed that he's actually a completely crap footballer who couldn't trap a dead rat with a net. Henry-gate: It's all unraveling now.

There was small area of discoloration and dryness located on Sofia Vergara's right shoulder blade, thus exposing that she is a hideous fat cow. Babe-gate: It's all unraveling now.

19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  20. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm hoping that Microsoft has a big scandal so we can talk about Bill Gates-gate.

21. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Or he could just buy the whole Bay Area and name it after himself, allowing the bridge becomes the Gatesgate bridge. Then, after the scandal emerges over misuse of public funds to finance the purchase, the media names it "Gatesgategate."

22. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

If you are going to bring BBQ into this, you might as well go with the best.

Gatesgate:

[​IMG]

http://www.gatesbbq.com/GeneralInformation/WhoWeAre.aspx

23. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This post makes me giggle.

BTW, you realize that part of the reason the description of the phenomenon changed from "global warming" to "climate change" in the media (which is still technically incomplete) is because knuckleheads like you don't understand what "average" means, right? And that the only folks making the "subtle implication" are deniers. I mean, which kind of moron would a climate scientist have to be to "imply" that climate does not naturally vary, when it's patently obvious that it does, in fact, change on it's own? Or are you trying to say that climate scientists don't believe in ice ages?

It's just more evidence that a middle school class in general science does not prepare someone for understanding real scientific research.

24. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999

You are opening up a can of worms my friend. When people start using the word best to describe BBQ, fights happen.

25. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

Understood. ;):D:eek: