"The Game of Their Lives"

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by Marchetti, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The movie, about the amazing 1950 US World Cup defeat of England, was in production all of 2003, and was close to release in the beginning of 2004. It is now late November, 2004, and I haven't heard anything about it. I did hear that the production company, Crusader Entertainment, did have financial troubles or something, but why hasn't the movie itself come out yet? And I also believe a trailer was made for it at last year's (2003) MLS Cup Gala.

Sorry if there is another thread about this, but I couldn't.

Thanks,
    Marchetti

2. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
  3. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may not have all of the details straight, but Crusader I believe is now reorganized and renamed Bristol Bay (the group that made the current, highly regarded movie 'Ray' starring Jamie Foxx). Whether it is a financial blockbuster or not, it has received early Oscar consideration.

I know one of the movies being devloped, Sahara, based on a Clive Cussler novel has had some lawsuits becaus Cussler feels the production company wasn't living up to the contract or some such....

4. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    ********ing a... the oldest kid from home improvement is in it

i had a feeling he would be... but i really didn't want to think it would happen

5. soccerdave05

soccerdave05 New Member

Nov 18, 2004
    so who thinks dicicco will take the job. i have first hand info on if he is or not

6. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What the F are you talking about?

7. Delsocfan

Delsocfan New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Soccerdave replied to the wrong thread. Seems he's talking about the Chinese Women's national team.

8. usa1950

usa1950 Member

Aug 18, 2000
    Indiana USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should have been given a part in the movie, based on Username Alone.

And I picked it years ago!! Actually, I had just finished the book by Geoffrey Douglas, and found bigsoccer shortly thereafter. Had I just stumbled upond BS today, perhaps I would have chosen.... "allgoodfireplayersleavingforeurope"

I recommend the book, but if you read it, you will know how the movie ends!!!!

9. SherwinRazmy

SherwinRazmy New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    No way, that guy is my friend. Zack played soccer as a kid so I am not surprised that they want him to be in the film.

10. goyoureddevils

Dec 17, 2002
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Is he still with that hot ass girlfriend, the one going to law school? I met her and Zach at the NSCAA convention last year and they hung out and partied with us until 4 in the morning. Zach played in the 4 v 4 tournament with a couple of my friends and did quite well for himself until he almost ripped up his knee. He told me he played for a nationally competative travel side as a teen and that he had a sniff or two at the California ODP squad. I believe it all from the way he played in Charlotte.

Zach is a great guy and a good soccer player, but seriously, is he still with the girl? She was smokin hot and I had about a three hour conversation with her while Zach learned how to shotgun beers with my friend Rob. Only problem is I can't for the life of me remember her name......... DAMMMMMMMMIT! Guess I wasn't paying attention to what she was saying :)

11. futbol2ot

futbol2ot Member

May 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are not Asian. Only Persian. Get your to Europe just like Turkey.

12. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should have been here in St. Louis in the summer of '03. They had open casting for extras, both in soccer and non-soccer roles.

Unfortunately for me, that was the month I chose to be in Europe. I missed my chance at screen glory. :(

13. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Does that make sense. Oh, and you're wrong.

14. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I see that Gavin Rossdale, the lead singer from the band Bush is in the movie. Just thought I'd point that out.

Oh and who else thinks Dicicco will take the job?

15. goyoureddevils

Dec 17, 2002
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Zach told me that Gavin was absolutely horrible, they had to chop up the scenes and fake alot of his action... said that most of what you'll see was from the waist up or the waist down. He said that the extras were mostly very good though, wish I would've known about the tryouts though.

16. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The interesting thing around here was that the filmmakers came to scout locations around The Hill (St. Louis' Italian neighborhood) to see if they could find places that looked like 1950, and they realized that the entire neighborhood still looks like it did in 1950. All they had to do was drive in some old cars.

17. futbol2ot

futbol2ot Member

May 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "You are not Asian" thing was a legendary BS post. Someone had posted that line in a completely unrelated forum. It was out of place like the DiCicco post was in this thread. I guess you've never seen it before. I guess the joke would only make sense if you saw the original "You are not Asian" post.

18. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Wasn't that also an obscure semi-reference in "The Da Vinci Code" too?

19. usa1950

usa1950 Member

Aug 18, 2000
    Indiana USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Hill is one of the great neighborhoods in America... I've been there many times. As for me wanting to be in St. Louis in 03 for the casting... well, I have wanted to be in St. Louis since I moved away from there in the 80's. My dad took me to two World Cup Qualifiers hled in St. Louis in 1984 and 1985 against T & T and the other against the Netherlands Antilles.... not many USMNT fans here on the boards go back that far.

He went to St. Louis U, and has been a soccer nutter his whole life. I am indebted to him for it.

20. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    Wasn't this the game at Busch Stadium that was called before 90 minutes because too many Netherlands Antilles players were ejected?

21. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Soccer at Busch Stadium ehh? I wonder what the attendance for that game was?

22. Delsocfan

Delsocfan New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was 12,463 for the Netherland's Anitlles and 15,823 for T&T. The largest crowds in St. Louis ever for the men's national team. Qualifiers have been played since then in St. Louis but for some reason as the team got better, attendance kept going down.

23. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *sigh* National team soccer in St. Louis, those were the days.

I was 9 and 10 years old when those games happened and I didn't even follow soccer at that age. Now I have to just watch on TV because you can't even fit a soccer field in Busch with its current seat configuration and our football stadium has a dome.

And with recent immigration, soccer has only gotten more popular here, but we don't get to watch any pro or national ball anymore. We have to settle for following St. Louis U products play elsewhere.

24. jmsullivan

jmsullivan Member

Sep 14, 2000
    Fairhaven Ma.
    In my playing days, the "70's", all the rave was St. Louis soccer. Obviously I do go back that far. My first WC experience was watching games at the Rhode Island Arena on closed circuit TV. Youngsters like Cryuff, Rep, Beckenbauer and "the bulldog" Mueller were the stars. Cripes, that was a long time ago..

25. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

he is still a putz