The Future USWNT

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FawcettFan14, Jan 25, 2021.

1. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Someday, if the talent around her is up to par. Just look at some of the best strikers in the World the US team beats on a regular basis. Has Marta ever won a major event in her entire illustrious career?

jnielsen repped this.
  2. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    #27 WoSoFan, May 11, 2021
    Last edited: May 11, 2021
    The US will have no problem finding the talent, the key will be finding the right talent. Talent that can compliment Macario's talents so she can do the things she does best, score and assist. At Stanford, she was the centerpiece of a very dynamic high scoring offense. A offense that set a Stanford team record for most goals(102) scored in a single season. At the same time, Macario set individual single season records in goals scored(32) and assist made(23). Kelly O'Hara(26 goals) and Christen Press(26 goals) also played at Stanford and had held the single season goals record before Macario.

jnielsen repped this.
  3. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    I think since Macario left Stanford has been less dominant correct?

4. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    "Has Marta ever won a major event in her entire illustrious career?"
    With Brazil, no, she won plenty in club soccer (Like Messi, I would say)

" Talent that can compliment Macario's talents so she can do the things she does best, score and assist. At Stanford, she was the centerpiece of a very dynamic high scoring offense." Good points.

"I think since Macario left Stanford has been less dominant correct?" I believe the 2020-2021 season was atypical due to COVID-19, so It is hard to find cause and effect in this limited performance.

While Macario's college career was outstanding, she isn't lighting up the French professional league (as of yet). She didn't do anything to question her potential. My point is that she is still more potential than anything and will need time to develop her game.

jnielsen repped this.
  5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #30 hotjam2, May 16, 2021
    Last edited: May 16, 2021
    not really impressed with the first 3 games of the opening NWSL regular season; only one goal scored in all 3 combined matches.

Vicky Pickett seemed to me the mvp of Louisville/KC matchup with some beautiful, often dangerous runs through the middle. But alas, she’s Canadian & hasn’t even hadn’t yet bet called on their senior NT(so could be poachable? lol)

Gotham/Houston; just based on highlights, Purce not only scored but had a close 2nd. I would pick Purce for the Olympics(especially since she can either play FB/wing, though just from the right side) but going with Vlatko past history in not giving Purse much playing time, it’s doubtful she’ll get chosen this cycle

Seattle/NC; just watched a rather dullish first half, surprised that Rapinoe or Balcar didn’t start(Reign roster will only get more crowded with the soon arrival of big names; Marozsan, LeSommer & Lavelle). Pinoe only appeared at the 57 min. mark but still got a post hitter. Brilliant one play by Fishlock getting passed NC defenders, so got to wonder why aging over 30 year olds still dominating the highlights? Another note; commentators were mentioning that the Reign field was “narrow”(but still regulation size?). This definitely makes it harder for wing play, plus added advantage for the Reign since they can get more used to adjust to it.

sorry, to bring too much NWSL talk, but apparently BS forum lacking NWSL fans as I haven’t seen any posts so far on these games

6. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I agree that the opening day of the NWSL season left a lot to be desired. If there was anyone that could finish the score in the matches I saw would/should have been something like 5-4. There were a lot of goalkeeping errors and yet it cost nothing because the field players were so incompetent.

If we were to pick players for the Olympics from the ones that have played so far we would be doing well to get two or three points out of our group. I believe this startup weekend will prove to be an anomaly, at least I hope so.

Does anyone else notice that a lot of players seem to run as if they are in flat shoes on ice, particularly when near the ball?

I was bored by much of the play so far and I am feeling less optimistic about pulling the Olympic squad from what has been show so far.

But the season is early and there should be a lot of improvement in future matches.

7. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    When is the OL Reign going to bring those players in?

8. Disapproving Hippo

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 17, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really looking forward to Marozsan and LeSommer playing for Reign but is Lavelle confirmed?

9. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Lavelle’s is not official as of yet. Don’t expect any massive output of any of the three, as they just completing that’s been an long euro season, rather probably be playing on rotation.

Still don’t see why the Reign allowed to use what the Twitch commentator kept emphasizing was an narrow field? I mean this gives them an humongous home advantage as all the opposing teams will have to adjust their flank attacking game

10. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Soccer is played on a field between 100 to 130 yards long, and 50 to 100 yards wide.
    Most Leagues have a stricter definition within that range and and for International play a regulation soccer field as defined by FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) is between 110 to 120 yards long, and 70 to 80 yards wide.

So not all soccer field are created equal and as long as they keep within the Leagues demad for size they may have it as wide or narrow as they want (or within the 50 to 100 if the League have no rules for it).

jnielsen and hotjam2 repped this.
  11. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    She is lighting it up at Lyon! She has become a big topic of discussion on all their club media TV shows covering the women’s team.

The coaches are amazed to how quickly she adapted to their style of play. Right now her five game scoring streak since she became a regular starter has got a lot of attention .Just the fact she has 6 goals in those 5 games is four more then any other Lyon player has scored in those games. She is definitely making a lot of noise in the league.

12. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Their Last game of the season for Lyon is June 5 so it should be soon after that.

jnielsen, blissett and Klingo3034 repped this.
  13. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Good. Get her self playing time in the June National Team games, show the same spunk and make the team. Will not hurt my feeling.

14. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I am sure Vlatko plans to give her plenty of playing time. He and his coaching staff closely monitor all the players playing abroad. For most players, they have easy access to videos of each game they play in.

They have to be really excited with her progress at this point. Conditioning is a strong point with Vlatko so he has got to be happy she is getting lots of playing time with Lyon.

15. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    why not just let the Portland Thorns represent us in the Olympics?(lol). They just walloped the Red Stars 5-0 swaying a path right through the USWNT's heartland(Ertz, Davidson, Naeher)

seems like it's official
    OL Reign add Rose Lavelle for the 2021 season - Sounder At Heart

Klingo3034 repped this.
  16. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    #41 FawcettFan14, Apr 28, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
    My likely 2023 roster at this moment in time:

G: Naeher, Franch, Murphy
    D: Dahlkemper, Davidson, Cook, O'Hara, Dunn, Fox, Mace
    M: Sullivan, Howell, S. Mewis, Horan, Lavelle, Sanchez
    F: Morgan, Macario, Hatch, Press, Pugh, Smith, Rodman

Alternates: Kinsbury, Sonnett, Girma, Huerta, Pinto, McCaskill, Williams

Roster notes
    -Dahlkemper with shaky 2021 Olympics; not the best start to 2022 NWSL season either. I do think we need to move on from Sauerbrunn. If Abby D continues to struggle, maybe she gets replaced by Sauerbrunn, Girma, Sonnett or (one can dream) Menges. I'd have confidence in Davidson and Cook as my starting CBs.
    -I assumed O'Hara would be phased out, but Vlatko seems to trust her, and the positive leadership she brings. Renaissance with Washington Spirit has helped her standing. I would say Dunn (if she returns in same form) and Fox are my starting FBs.
    -Mace with impressive Challenge Cup before getting injured. I like her combination of technique and power. Can play outside back, center back, or any utility position further up.
    -I admit, risky taking only 3 center backs. Ertz on the roster would help, with her versatility. But I have this weird feeling she may have other priorities than soccer going forward. And her distribution isn't the greatest. Maybe Ertz replaces Sullivan or Howell if she defies this assumption and returns as beast mode as before. Those near post set piece headers are killer too.
    -Really like the idea of Sanchez on the roster; she brings a creativity and off-beat style we lack otherwise. She sees little channels and pockets of space others don't.
    -I bet Morgan and Press stick around; both are finally happy with their club environments and ready to focus (Press in particular does need a better supporting cast). The other veteran forwards gotta go. We have better young options who are way more exciting.

Klingo3034 and NCChiFan repped this.
  17. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Kristie Mewis will make it before Howell. Howell did not even make a recent camp until there were injuries. She also did not roster for a game in the last camp. K Mewis brings something different than the rest of those midfielders. She connects the lines better than any of them, and is versatile. Sanchez is redundant to Rose (who is the better of the two). I believe Ertz will be back. She seemed to time her pregnancy with the World Cup in mind. I am not sold on Rodman at the international level yet.

NCChiFan repped this.
  18. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good guesses, but I might wait until July to make an actual prediction. But, at this point I think Sauerbrunn still makes the roster, if she's healthy, although probably not as a starter. At this point in time, I don't think Mace will make it; I think Girma or Huerta are more likely than her, but I think if Sauerbrunn makes it, then it might just be 3 outside backs (Dunn, O'Hara, and Fox) with Davidson also able to play outside. Dahlkemper does seem a bit iffy, but I'm not sure anyone has beaten her out yet.

I think Ertz will be back, and would make the roster over Howell. I can see yrts' point on Kristie Mewis, but I think there's a good possibility that Sanchez would make it as an investment in the future over an older player.

FawcettFan14 and NCChiFan repped this.
  19. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I like Mace. But, has she ever been brought into camps?

20. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She's been in a few camps and has 3 caps, but the caps were back in 2018.

ytrs repped this.
  21. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Sure hope Ertz comes back strong. No one else comes close to her holding, Defense abilities at her position. Yes, her shots seem to sail and her passing isn't the best. Still one of the best in the world at her position.

Namdynamo repped this.
  22. Disapproving Hippo

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 17, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very good point. Jill Ellis saw how special Rose Lavelle is and despite all the adversities (injuries and all) she persist on her and the rest is history. Vlatko hopefully will do the same thing with Sanchez because she is very similar to Lavelle and I believe she will be a huge difference maker now and beyond specially once Lavelle fades.

23. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    G: Naeher, Franch, Murphy
    D: Dahlkemper, Davidson, Cook, O'Hara, Dunn, Fox, Huerta, Sauerbrunn
    M: Sullivan, S. Mewis, Horan, Lavelle, Sanchez, Ertz
    F: Morgan, Macario, Press, Pugh, Hatch, Rodman

Possibilities: Kingsbury, Girma, Williams, Smith, Heath, Purce, K. Mewis, Rapinoe, Gautrat

Here's my guess on the 2023 roster. Not much different that the preceding guesses, although I think both Huerta and Sauerbrunn make the team as defenders. Among the forwards, I think Hatch beats out Smith and Purce. With an injury to an attacking midfielder on the roster K. Mewis makes the team; with an injury to a defensive midfielder, Gautrat makes the team.

24. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    ohhhhh nooooo
    Smith has too much chemistry going on with Macario, she’s been an starter now for what, 5 straight games? She’s definitely going to make the squad.

Might be an long shot but I would go with Purce since she can play anything on the right side; FB/mid/winger

jnielsen repped this.
  25. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    What has Rodman done at the international level to garner a roster spot at this point? Smith and Pugh have done far more. I have not seen anything from Rodman yet at the WNT level.

Sullivan has also not earned it yet. Feels more like 'by default' unless Ertz is back.