The Future of Gol TV

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by vevo5, Aug 17, 2012.

1. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    There was Uruguay league this weekend my bad. I noticed no Uruguay on Goltv either that’s what made me think no games this weekend. Strange

2. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nacional-Cerro was on GolTV but not on GolTV Play and only Portuguese games are listed in upcoming events.

3. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah now I see I wonder why they cut out Uruguay.

4. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Weird no Penarol matches on Goltv? Have been on in a few weeks. Wonder why?

5. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    They were on this past weekend. I have started watching Gol a lot more now that I stopped watching Ligue 1 and Bundesliga (other than Dortmund). Gol dedicates a lot of air time to Portugal, which I noted earlier in this thread. I get that there are 3 teams that people might care about from Portugal and there is probably a larger audience for these 3 sides than Nacional or Penarol but it does seem a bit excessive. I doubt that Sporting, which might be the least popular of the 3, draws a larger audience than the bigger sides currently playing in the Paulista or Carioca. I would think Gol would show more games from Brazil and the Mexican second division.

6. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I love GolTv. Brazilian league I follow São Paulo FC. I love their magazine show FootBrazil. Penarol and Nacional are great to watch too. Cool they have Portuguese league as well but don’t watch that league much.

7. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Over the past few weeks I've noticed that GOL has cut back on its Portuguese coverage, limiting it only to the big 3 (Porto, Sporting, Benfica). They had been showing 4-5 Liga NOS matches in weeks before.

8. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why cut back on anything. They don’t have much in way of leagues. So put some matches on delay same day.

9. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I agree. I'm personally not interested in the Portuguese league but I would assume that showing the big teams, plus 2-3 games featuring big sides in the Paulista and Carioca plus Nacional and Penarol can happen on any given weekend plus Mexican second division. Then they could show smaller teams during the week when there is nothing happening for most of the leagues.

I guess the big issue is the cost of paying people to do commentary. At this point there seem to be 3 guys doing English commentary (and it's not fully clear what Lindsay Dean's role is--as one of the 3). I assume that there are at least 3 games coming with English commentary from Brazil (although I learned from an email exchange with Jon Cotterill, who had been calling most of the games until the end of last season, that Globo has cut back it's operation so it might be only a matter of time before they aren't sending out any English commentary). The second division Mexican matches and the Uruguayan matches come with Spanish commentary so that cuts down the amount needed to pay people. So Portugal is the big league in terms of needing to pay English and Spanish commentators. Gol is mostly down to one-man calls on the English side so that saves some money. Only for big derbies do they use both guys.

10. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I recall when Liga NOS was on NGSN a couple of years back they used the international feed with its own supplied English commentary; I wonder if this is still available to GOL.

11. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I don't know the details of GolTV's deal for Brasillian football but today is a good example of odd choices. We're down to the 1/4 Final 2nd leg of the Paulista and neither game is airing tonight. They aired one game last night and one game later this week but the two tonight aren't shown. If they don't have the rights to all 4 games then I get it but if they do have the rights, which I think they would then it makes no sense. Similarly, there's a big rio derby airing this week and another that aired last week and neither will air/have aired. The Carioca matches require GolTV commentary but it would make sense to put someone on these games instead of Portugal games if, as was posted above, those Portugal games come with commentary.

Luckily PFC will fill the need via IPTV but I'd rather watch on Gol with English commentary.

InterFan76 repped this.
  12. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not sure either but their Paulista coverage of 2018 has been spotty at best. Just glad I was able to watch São Paulo FC last night.

13. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Sorry if I missed this announcement earlier, but GolTV now showing Ecuadorian league on US channel(not literally this minute, but yeah).

Cantona and HomietheClown repped this.
  14. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Gol has stepped up the quantity of Ecuadoran games this weekend. I know from looking at the South America GolTV schedule on-line that the games last season were mostly limited to Barcelona and Emelec but GolTV USA is showing smaller teams as well this weekend. I think they have 3 games listed. Of course, to keep with my theme above: it seems like they just cut other stuff to make room for these games rather than showing other games on delay. Most noticeably mssing, unless it happened midweek and I failed to see a listing, is the second leg of the Carioca final. The thing that sucks about that choice, if the game is played this weekend, is that the first leg was a real thriller.

Onto the reason for me coming to this thread. I received an email from GolTV Play today, which was the first time. They are showing a lot of Uruguay game through this platform. And even more Ecuador games, although those aren't available in the US so you would need a VPN to show a different locale. I wish they would develop an app for this since streaming through a browser isn't ideal for me.

HomietheClown repped this.
  15. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I got the email too and also saw a commercial that they will be showing Arsenal TV on the channel. Seems like they still look for more programming each season. Would be cool if they showed Italian Serie B.

16. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    A friend told me that they will releasing an app in May. Let's hope it has video on demand as well as live games.

17. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hope it has Brazilian matches as well.

Redbullsnation2012 and daniloni repped this.
  18. kalin21

kalin21 Member

May 26, 2009
    TX
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    now with Ecuador league en Portugal league I hope Goltv HD returns to Directv...do you guys have HD on other providers?

19. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe U-Verse still has GolTV in English and Spanish (one via SAP) in HD.

I know it's in HD. I don't know language options, but I remember one of them being English.

20. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Love Goltv for Brazilian league

21. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have GolTV in HD on Spectrum as an old Time Warner customer. If I want to switch to a Spectrum package (and not be on a legacy TWC package) I get faster internet, but I lose 4 channels. GolTV is one of the channels I lose. Apparently, according to the Spectrum rep, they don't offer GolTV at all.

22. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005
    FiOS has dropped gol TV effective October 1st.

23. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well...at least they're on iGol and Fubo

24. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gol TV was on a higher package than any sports channel except for FS+, so I didn't pay for it.

25. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Same here. I looked into it a few years ago and they only offered it on the spanish package. My spanish is awful and already getting fsdeportes, bein espanol, and univision etc, it wasnt worth the extra for me