The Future is Now! Ajax 2021-22 Season

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, May 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Finally a match where we didn't have to wait until the 85th minute to see if Ajax would win. Ajax were dominant in possession but fortunate that a couple of open chances for PEC did not find the net. Some very good pressing and for the most part the defense was quite good. I have to eat my words about not starting Klaassen, he picked up a garbage goal knocking the rebound after Timber clanged one off the post but his second goal was quite sublime. He also led the press as the middle of the front three with Haller moving out to the right side and almost embarrassed Lamprou by nicking the ball just wide of the goal. Haller was poor on the night again missing an open goal after being set up nicely. Pressure is now on for PSV to get a result against Willem II tomorrow. Willem II are in a relegation fight and a point will move them above PEC Zwolle.

Player Ratings:

Stekelenburg (6) - didn't have a hard save to make as all the major scoring opportunities sailed over the cross bar
    Tagliafico (6.5) - decent match and he was making some good runs in the offensive half
    Blind (6.5) - a good game subbing for Martinez in the central defense
    Timber (7) - defensively sound and had a really good run that was picked out by Tadic with the result of a hard shot that ricocheted back to Klaassen for the put in
    Regeer (6) - played well in his Eredivisie starting debut coming off with a leg complaint in the 66th minute; it will interesting to see if he can make the transition to RB
    Gravenberch (6.5) - more than decent shaking three for four attempts on goal that unfortunately were all at the keeper
    Klaassen (7.5) - really good on the evening with lots of pressing and two goals
    Taylor (7) - another good match from him and I think he will be starting for Ajax next season
    Tadic (7.5) - out of the doldrums and into action tonight, wonderful strike for the match winner and a near assist to Timber; held the ball up well and was seldom dispossesed
    Haller (4) - disappointing and nothing more
    Kudus (6.5) - really played more as a MF and was good on the ball
    Berghuis (5.5) - came on for Kudus and was OK
    Rensch (5.5) - replaced Regeer at RB and was decent
    Brobbey (NR) - on late for Haller
    Alvarez (NR) - on late for Taylor

Big games next week. Ajax travel to AZ and PSV to Feyenoord. The title race just might be decided!

BTV802 repped this.
  2. "I have to eat my words about not starting Klaassen, he picked up a garbage goal knocking the rebound after Timber clanged one off the post but his second goal was quite sublime. He also led the press as the middle of the front three with Haller moving out to the right side and almost embarrassed Lamprou by nicking the ball just wide of the goal."

In this case better to have to eat your words than to say "I told you so", although I would have liked it the other way around:p

3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Klaassen never fails to amaze me. He can have three very poor games and then he looks like an NT player and every move is perfect..

BTV802 and Deadtigers repped this.
  4. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Mazraoui hasn't played since Cup final when he got hurt...

Unfortunately, that might have been the last time we'll see him at Ajax. Total waste to lose him on a free.

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Gravenberch injured his ankle in training today and will miss the remaining three matches.

6. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    And now officially Antony, Martinez and Schuurs all out for the rest of the season. I'm curious if Maz will play again too.

We might not see 3-4-5 of those guys play again at Ajax.

I really loved Tadic centrally last match. I am so confused why it took that long to have him there. I'm guessing we will see a unique lineup again.

Deadtigers repped this.
  7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Mazraoui may be able to play. With all the injuries, this match with AZ is going to be on a knife's edge. Hope for all three points but would settle for a draw.

Deadtigers repped this.
  8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    At least Ajax came away with a point thanks to Alvarez's header late in the 2nd half. Really awful defending on both AZ goals. Blind was clearly at fault on the first goal but the 2nd goal was a total lapse in concentration by the MF who needed to check free runners. EtH really should have gone back to a 4-3-3 in the 2nd half as Haller was totally worthless as a winger. This team really misses Antony out on the right wing and just cannot create any opportunities.

Player Ratings:

Steklenburg (6) - did not have any tough stops to make and his kicking was very good
    Tagliafico (6) - decent enough
    Blind (4.5) - two really bad passes inside the Ajax half and poor marking on the first goal; his days as a starter are over for me
    Timber (6) - OK match
    Rensch (4) - he needs to readjust his thinking that he is a good player, he is not
    Alvarez (6.5) - got the tying goal and defensively he was very good disrupting a lot of play in the MF
    Taylor (5.5) - wonderful pass over the top for Brobbey on the first goal but ordinary other than that
    Klaassen (5.5) - really not much of a factor at all
    Brobbey (6) - nice chip for the goal but he really cannot play out on the wing
    Tadic (5.5) - couldn't impact the game much at all
    Haller (4.5) - totally lost as a wing player
    Berghuis (5.5) - had a couple of good balls into the middle but I wonder if he was one of those at fault on the 2nd AZ goal
    Mazraoui (6) - too bad he couldn't go the full 90, he might have had more of an impact
    Daramy (4.5) - lots of speed but he doesn't know what to do with it
    Kudus (NR) - on late and still a continuing enigma as to whether he is good enough

Regardless of the result in Rotterdam, Ajax are in control of their own destiny and need four points from the final two matches.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #934 Orange14, May 8, 2022
    Last edited: May 8, 2022
    Ajax just need to win on Wednesday to bring home the trophy!!!

BTV802 repped this.
  10. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No Antony and little to no creativity. Speed of play and dynamic movement seriously lacking.
    Gravenberch missed too today.
    I guess it was a 4-4-2 with Haller and Brobbey but not much supply.
    Klaassen and Taylor provide little cutting edge.
    Tadic is really slowing down too truthfully.
    Ajax will need several quality reinforcements along with a new Coach.
    Finally there is Daley Blind who is really poor. How teams just don’t pressure him constantly makes no sense. He is a total liability out there defensively, and athletically.
    Football is impossible if you cannot run.
    Is Van Gaal watching this continuous horrible play?
    Hopefully Edgar Davids joining Oranje staff will awaken LVG to the facts that Blind is done.

11. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    That Feyenoord miracle comeback basically saved Ajax.

ten Hag is totally out of ideas and quite honestly has been awful to end the year.

There will need to be massive changes this off-season. Gravenbersch is so good and without him, the midfield is flat out awful. Mazarouai has probably been the best player this season too. Those two leaving is huge.

Daley is done. Sad but the guy cannot run at all. Klaassen is a nice late sub option but has basically no place on an Ajax team trying to go anywhere in Europe. Tadic is dead tired-- next year he needs more rest/rotation. He can't play every single match anymore. PLEASE do not buy Brobbey unless there is a total system change. Even then-- no thanks.

IF we lose Timber and/or Antony, next year could be really rough.

We probably need 4-5 legit transfers in. I'm not sure how many of the Jong Ajax guys you can count on to be up to snuff except maybe Taylor.

BTV802 repped this.
  12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I try to watch every Jong Ajax game that is broadcast via IPTV. Unfortunately, only about half are. There are some very good players on the team and Heitinga has done a good job of squad rotation so they all get playing time. It's difficult to say who will be able to step up. There are some good wing players and of course Unuvar who is better on the ball than any MF currently playing for the first team. Kian Fitz-Jim is a deep lying play maker with great field vision, but his defending is suspect right now. Salah-Eddine is a promising LB and Youri Reeger who already has played for the senior team is being converted to a RB just as Mazraoui was. Of course there is Ihattaren who might contest for a starting spot next season. van axel Donen is a good winger who also played with the first team. Perhaps the best prospect of all is Misehouy who just turned 16 and jumped all the way to Jong Ajax. There are no center backs worth writing about. Rasmussen has seen the most action as striker but I can't tell whether he has much quality..

Both Max de Waal, striker, and Kik Perie return from loan but I don't know that they can make it. Perie has missed most of his loan time at Twente with a back injury.

13. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Ihattaren is really the X-factor for me. IF he can play, that would fill a giant void as a creative MF. But it'd very difficult to count on him.

Unuvar's numbers are ridiculous-- kinda surprised he hasn't even made a first team Eredivisie bench yet. Especially considering the lack of options at wing.

What does everyone think the main positions to target for the off-season? IMO:

1) Good midfielder -- I'll take a great 10 or a great 8. Just need someone who can come close to the quality of Gravenbserch.
    2 ) Right back -- need a starter there.
    2b) Left back -- assuming Nico leaves. I hope we just buy Wijndal. But who knows how much AZ will want.
    4) Winger -- Daramy looked brutal today and after him it's ???

The biggest goal should really be to keep Timber, Antony and Martinez.

14. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    IPTV?
    What is that and how does one get this?

15. richsavare repped this.
  16. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    With a very strong likelihood that most of the current squad moves on a big concern regarding some of the Jong Ajax players is that most are physically pretty small.
    Definitely will need a GK.

17. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You have to be crazy to still pay for regular cable TV. IPTV is where its at. The channel selection is much better than cable, and it costs almost nothing

Deadtigers repped this.
  18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    https://www.torpedoiptv.com/ is the IPTV provider that I use. as @Brilliant Dutch said you get a huge number of channels. I use a PC that has VLC Media player (free) and you just load the code they give you plus your password and that's it. You get channels from all over the world. We stopped cable TV last year and stream everything now. I started by getting 3 month subscriptions to see how it worked and then moved to a year subscription. I've not had any problems.

BTV802, Deadtigers and richsavare repped this.
  19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'll write more on needs after the season is over but would offer the following. Unuvar is a much better MF than wing player. I don't know whether Kudus and Daramy are Ajax players. Daramy may end up being another bad purchase by Overmars. Kudus was hurt most of last season which was too bad. Antony is under contract until 2025 so if he does want to leave Ajax will get top dollar. Martinez contract has two more years to go so there is no hurry there either.

Deadtigers repped this.
  20. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I use Torpedo IPTV as well, but they are now my backup. My primary provider is IP Guys now, their channel selection is insane. You even get Netflix with it:

http://ipguysusa.com/

If you're gonna watch IPTV on your regular TV I highly recommend getting the Formuler Pro. It comes with a built-in channel guide

https://www.amazon.nl/Formuler-Android-16GB-Flash-WLAN/dp/B09KM6CNS9/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_nl_NL=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=1ZEOFH71PVJBT&keywords=formuler+pro&qid=1652094983&sprefix=formuler+pro,aps,251&sr=8-4

richsavare repped this.
  21. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    My bro also recommends a VPN.

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    CHAMPIONS!!!

BTV802, BPBlueSox and Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  23. Congrats.

BTV802 and Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  24. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax are champions with a pretty thorough dismantling of Heerenveen 5-0. It took a while to get the first goal but once the pressure was off with the Tagliafico goal, Ajax kept the pressure on. Stekelenburg had to make one tough save but otherwise was not troubled. The EtH reign comes to a successful end.

Player Ratings:

Stekelenburg (6.5) - one outstanding save and some good kicking but otherwise not troubled
    Tagliafico (7) - really nice goal for the match winner at the 20th minute and had a nice game overall
    Blind (7) - solid game after some sub-par games
    Timber (7.5) - strong defensively and took some good opportunities to go forward
    Mazraooui (7.5) - outstanding in an abbreviated performance and got a standing ovation when he was subbed off
    Alvarez (7) - had a weak pass early in the first half that might have caused a problem but was good over all with a goal to top it off
    Taylor (7) - decent enough to make a case as a starter next season
    Klaassen (6) - really didn't do much and his touch was poor
    Tadic (7) - moved all over the field and did well in some combination plays
    Haller (6) - really not effective out on the wing but in absence of a true winger that where he landed; took the penalty well
    Berghuis (7) - really played more in the MF than as a winger and was good on the ball, missed a sitter but he was probably off sides but had a nice goal and drew a penalty
    Rensch (6) - decent enough finishing the game for Mazraoui
    Brobbey (6.5) - strong coming in for Haller and netted the fourth goal
    Kudus (6) - had a hard shot that clanged off the post and did a decent job in the short stint he was on
    Reeger (NR) - on late for Taylor
    Daramy (NR) - had a nice assist on the Alvarez goal

One match to go to finish out the season, away to Vitesse

25. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Mazraoui is officially off to Bayern as he announced on television after the match. Schreuder looks to be the next trainer as Ajax will pay the release amount to bring him in on a two year contract with an option for a third

Deadtigers and gabrielguilarte repped this.