The Future is Now! Ajax 2021-22 Season

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, May 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Antony will be gone soon too.
    I'm very surprised he hasn't left already

2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He has three more years on his contract. Ajax will ask a lot of money for him. Everything I have read says he enjoys Amsterdam and playing for Ajax.

3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What an awful performance and Ajax were fortunate to get the late goal and come away with a 0-1 victory. Brobbey was strong and Kudus made the right pass to him and he turned his man and slotted the shot home. Ajax were close to scoring a couple of other times and this match really should not have been close. EtH is really losing the thread with this team as his stubborn attachment to certain players is not helping things. Why he didn't sub earlier in the 2nd half is just mystifying. I guess his time at Ajax is really up now and I'm glad he's off to another adventure.

Player Ratings:

Stekelenburg (6.5) - one outstanding save and made himself big on a second NEC chance forcing a wide shot
    Tagliafico (6) - really worked hard out there and had some good runs
    Blind (3.5) - possibly his worst match in an Ajax shirt, really slow out there and passing was just bad
    Schuurs (5.5) - was decent until a knee injury forced him off
    Timber (6.5) - had one of the better performances for Ajax today
    Gravenberch (5) -just ordinary and this won't cut it at Bayern
    Taylor (5.5) - had some very good moments and some very bad ones; I still think he can be a good player with more time on the pitch
    Klaassen (4) - just wandered around aimlessly and displayed an awful first touch
    Tadich (4.5) - went the full 90 minutes in what was a horrible game for him
    Haller (5) - nothing good but also nothing bad about his game
    Berghuis (4) - he either plays in the MF or sits on the bench but with Antony lost for the season, the second option won't happen another stubborn attachment for EtH.
    van Gelderen (5.5) - didn't screw up which was all he needed to do
    Brobbey (6.5) - got the precious match winner and had another hit the post
    Kudus (NR) - on late but had a great pass to Brobbey but he should have done better when in on the keeper
    Alvarez (NR) - on very late for defense

Home to PEC Zwolle next week, another match that will pose difficulties for Ajax

richsavare and BPBlueSox repped this.
  4. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Frustrating as all hell but boy do they make for good drama this season.

5. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    ten Hag's biggest weakness is in game adjustments including subs. He reacts late. In the Cup Final last weekend, they needed changes sooner.

Lack of squad rotation as well. Tadic looks absolutely gassed (and has for a bit) as does Gravenbersch (he's being asked to do too much).

We're crawling to the finish line. 538 has us at 96% to win the league-- I believe that is accurate. But things can change quickly over the weekend with an awful result.

richsavare repped this.
  6. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Gosh. Another lovely (sarcasm) performance. Will be in person next Saturday against pec (assuming there aren’t anymore strikes at Schiphol!) They are battling relegation and have been fighting hard so I’m not feeling super hopeful.

Orange14 and wynaldaisagod repped this.
  7. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    You lads are backing into the finish. I hope you do it.

8. [​IMG]

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Jong Ajax with a thumping 6-1 win over VVV Venlo today. Ihattaren with a hat trick, Unuvar with two goals and Kudus with the opening goal. I won't be surprised if EtH starts Ihattaren at right wing on Saturday. He was watching from the stands sitting next to Utrecht's Willem Janssen.

10. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not sure if Antony is ready for a move to ManU to join Ten Hag which is being heavily rumored.
    Antony is a fantastic player but I believe he is very immature and has a lot to learn before making such an important move at this moment in time.
    Certainly if he goes Ajax will make a nice profit on him, but again any potential move for the Brazilian needs to be seriously discussed by the player and his representatives as he has much personal growth to still develop.

11. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Agreed. He would do well with another six to twelve months in Amsterdam for his development.

12. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Maybe, maybe not. Normally Man U has become a place to destroy young talent. I believe if EtH is there with MvdG and McLaren with Ralf doing real work as Assistant DoF. There will be greatest structure for a talented young player like him and some of the other ones being recruited to actually succeed.

I won't deny that right now we're a dumpster fire but hopefully it will be restructured so that talented young players like Anthony and others that are we are bringing up in the academy will be able to immediately contribute in a well-functioning system.

13. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    It's not a question of talent or ability or tactics or support. He can pretty much play anywhere at this point.

It's a question of maturity. He's not ready for the week in, week out pressure of ManU/PL. There have been so many mini incidents with him with just flat out stupid kick outs, outbursts that probably should have been red cards.

From a pressure standpoint, it's an absolutely massive jump. I'm not sure he's ready for it. Talent wise? He's 100% ready.

Almost the opposite of Donny who just isn't good enough to play at level of PL/Man U unless he's in a very specific role.

14. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Donny is an 8 maybe 10. He had Fred and Pogba in front. I don't rate Fred but for some reason the coaches did. Our 10 is Bruno, Lingard and a bunch of others. Man U should not have bought him. Now with so many leaving maybe he can find his feet as a contributor.

gabrielguilarte repped this.
  15. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Kudus at RW is odd but intriguing and I’m glad Taylor gets a start cause he deserves it. Get to see what Regeer is all about too.
    198422F8-6617-46A8-AA7F-51F257324E95.jpeg

16. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    @BTV802 - this is a terrible lineup. Kudus should be in for Klaassen, move Tadic to the right side and start Daramy. Maybe it doesn't matter against PEC, we will see. We'll see if Regeer has what it takes at RB

17. Are there injuries or suspensions?

18. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    I think Donny is best as a finishing 10. By far his best asset is being in the box in tight spaces and scoring. But I agree Man U is a bad fit because they have better guys than him at the 10.

I don't think he does enough passing wise to be a 8 at the level of Man U. Maybe at lower teams he could be. He does run hard, tackle, etc. but for me not enough quality to be making tons of decisions, advancing ball.

richsavare and Deadtigers repped this.
  19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Only Martinez who is not in the squad. Berghuis has a knee complaint but in the match day team. Nobody is suspended.

20. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    #920 BTV802, Apr 30, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    No big argument there I just don’t want to see Berghuis starting as he’s been pretty awful lately. I’m reading Kudus will supposedly feature on the right side of a midfield diamond with Klaassen at the tip. We’ll see if it actually works out that way or not.

Deadtigers repped this.
  21. Why are there so many absentees from the regular culprits of the team?

22. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Mazraoui, Martínez, Álvarez & Schuurs all missed the last training session. I assume injuries?

Deadtigers repped this.
  23. Orange14 posted only Martinez has issues and Berghuis a minor niggle that doesnot prevent him to be on the bench.

BTV802 repped this.
  24. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Just what I read on Twitter so don’t quote me :thumbsup:

25. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Forgot that Schuurs was injured in last week's game. Problem is there has been virtually no announcements from EtH about injuries. All I can go by is what I've heard and who is on the substitute's bench.