The Future is Now! Ajax 2021-22 Season

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, May 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    What happened in the Twente v PSV game. Twente was up 3-0 after like 30 minutes but game ended 3-3.

2. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only Johan Neeskens was still around ...

BTV802 and Orange14 repped this.
  3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    PSV scored three excellent goals. Twente just could not control possession. The second goal by Gakpo was really fine.

4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    She's been gone for some years. Last post was in 2013.

5. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy to think it was that long ago. Seems like just yesterday she was defensively posting about how great Twente was. I found myself wishing she was around during Twente's slide to the Eerste Divisie just to get the inside scoop.

BPBlueSox and BTV802 repped this.
  6. The Mexican player Guti made twice a tactical defensive covering error and the goalie did one gaffe.

Deadtigers repped this.
  7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ihattaren started tonight for Jong Ajax and played 60 minutes. He scored his first goal in Ajax colors and had an assist on a free kick that Kenneth Taylor put away. Jong Ajax won 4-1. Brobbey had a PK and Taylor had the other goal for two on the night.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  8. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Saw the highlight of the goal... sweet left foot!! He looked really pumped celebrating. Also noticed that he wore a no. 10 shirt.... not that it had any magical power, but must be a confidence-booster for him.

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Jong Ajax do not have permanent assigned numbers. Starters get the shirt number of the position they are playing.

BaritoPutra repped this.
  10. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He really should not have traveled for the Brazil matches. They already clinched a WC slot and Antony was carrying a knock on his ankle. I won't be surprised if Ihattaren is called up for Saturday's match if only as a substitute.

12. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What happened to Neeskens?

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I guess real life became more important to her. She's been absent since 2013.

14. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    My dad would have loved that. When goalies started wearing 13 and strikers 15, he became the classic old man "kids today..." Guy.

15. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    I don't think ten Hag's been at his best this year. Lots of bizarre decisions. He did a good job with the club but it's time for new ideas. I'd kill to get Boss back.

The whole Brobbey situation is so strange. Playing in Jong Ajax matches is weird for a guy on loan. It seems like he always wanted to be at Ajax. I wonder if he will try his best to force a move back.

Just looking at the roster... my 2 cents:

100% gone: Onana, Mazraouai, Danilo, Klaiber/Labyad (10m for ten Hag guys... what a total giant waste of money)

90%+ gone: Nico, Gravenbersch (let me dream)

Few other guys Ajax has to make a decision on...

Antony-- this injury may let us keep him for a final season? He's signed through '25 so probably due an extension/giant raise. Anything under 40m Euro for him highway robbery.

Blind -- Is he done? One year left on his deal. I don't know if there's a market for him.

Schuurs -- Seems like he's not good enough to be part of the XI. Might be time to cash in on him before the contract winds down.

Alvarez -- I'd sell him. I just don't see Ajax winning much at the highest levels with him as a MF. I don't see his value getting any higher. Could make a really big profit on him. SELL!!!

Haller -- It's hard to find a '9'. I know he doesn't fit Ajax's style but someone who just finishes is a nice change of pace. That said -- he's at his top value and for Ajax to continue to thrive, they have to sell. If he is sold, can play Tadic as a 9 a lot more.

A core of Timber, Tadic, Martinez, Antony is a very good start. I would like to see a creative 10 brought in. Also: another 9, deep lying MF, RB, new CB, Winger.

Should be a very busy summer.

16. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He had very little game time at Leipzig and then he was hurt. He needs competitive football which he can get at Jong Ajax in addition to the first team. When he playe for Jong Ajax he seldom plays more than one half.

Klaiber may have one more year on his contract, I'll need to check. He is a useful utility player. Gravenberch has reportedly agreed to terms with Bayern and Ajax are in a bind as they do need to sell him this summer or risk getting nothing for him. Tagliafico would have left last summer except Covid screwed things up. He had a promise from management when he extended his contract.

you and I will never agree on Alvarez. For me he is the most improved player on the team and a linchpin in the defense. You saw how out of sorts Ajax was last Saturday until he came on.

Kik Perie returns from his loan to FC Twente. Unfortunately, he missed a good part of this season so it is really difficult to assess whether he can slot in to the team. Ihattaren will be ready to play first team football next season and may even get picked to be on the bench now that he appears back in shape. Ajax have some very talented youth MFs, wingers, and two FBs (Baas and Reeger) but I don't know if any of them will be ready for the first team.

A lot of Ajax transfer policy will be dictated on winning the league. If they slip up and finish 2nd, I don't think they will be spending big as there is no guarantee of CL football. It's too bad they lost to Benfica as the UEFA coefficients were leaning towards Netherlands overtaking Portugal.

17. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    I agree Brobbey needs matches. He really has very little game experience vs good competition. Just can’t remember loan guys playing for Jong Ajax.

Klaiber is fine. i just disagreed with using 10m Euro on him and Labyad. Lots of better uses of money. That’s not pocket change for us.

Nico is 90% gone not 100% because it feels like he’s been for sure gone for 3,4 windows. The market for him just hasn’t been there. He is older is my guess?

I am hopeful Ajax can get a good fee for Gravenbersch. Bayern will try to be cheap. I am guessing he would much rather go to Barca/Real or a different club that drive the price up. It would be a shame if we give him away but it might end up like that.

at this point, we cannot rely on Ihatteren to give us anything. He hasn’t play a first team match in a year. You almost have to approach him as whatever he gives Ajax as a bonus until he proves he can get fit. That may take until midway through the fall.

I also think getting a Creative 10 will push him. You can return Berghuis to wing. What to do with Klaassen as well. What a disaster signing that was.

The coefficient for 2nd vs 1st doesn’t apply until 23/24 with NL v POR. So even if we won advanced, that would come into play next year. But PSV/Feyenoord doing well in Conference league would help big time.

Deadtigers and aveslacker repped this.
  18. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't think Ajax have agreed to a transfer fee for Gravenberch yet. They want more than Bayern are willing to pay. Bayern are also trying to low ball the offer with performance payments.

20. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Onana has become a total embarrassment. Please no more of him. Is ten Hag asleep at the wheel?

21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Another horrible first half of football and Ajax are down 0-1 going into the second half. Onana with a weak pass out and Alvarez compounded the problem when the ball came back to him leading to a nice goal from Sparta. Tadic helps get things going with some very good play and Klaassen gets the sides even. A short while later, Tadic is clinical from the spot following a hand ball on a free kick. Haller had what looked to be the clinching goal but after about two minutes of VAR was ruled off side. Tadic gets MOTM for all around leadership and play. Kenneth Taylor had a nice game coming on after Tagliafico suffered an early injury.

Player Ratings:

Onana (5) - I wonder what the Inter management are thinking these days
    Tagliafico (5) - on for only a half hour before getting injured
    Blind (7) - had a nice match playing mostly at LB
    Schuurs (7) - better than decent
    Timber (7) - solid game at RB
    Alvarez (6.5) - other than the poor pass on the Sparta goal he had a good match, mostly at CB
    Gravenberch (6.5) - spent most of the match as the holding MF after Tagliafico went off
    Klaassen (7) - nice run to get first Ajax goal and played strong all game
    Tadic (7.5) - really good match picking up the team when they were suffering after the first half
    Haller (5.5) - his only shining moment was annulled for an offsides
    Berghuis (6.5) - pressed well and his passes were spot on
    Taylor (7) - solid match coming on a the 30 minute mark
    Brobbey (6) - in for Haller and very lively for 10 minutes
    Kudus (NR) - on late for Klaassen and had one good run with the ball

Beker final next Sunday against PSV in Rotterdam.

22. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    It’s crazy how bad the form has been. For months now.

23. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    His attitude leaves a lot to be desired, too. Stek is back now, might as well just play him now! Not like Onana is making some big difference on the pitch in a positive direction!

24. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Well looks like the reports are ten Hag is going to Man U. I wonder if Ajax will get some sort of compensation (maybe a few million Euro?). I remember they got 5 for Bosz from Dortmund.

Who should replace him?

25. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I forget the exact number, but there is a release clause in ten Hag's contract. It is not as high as Bosz.

26. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I think it’s like 2.5 if I recall correctly.