The Future 26-Man Squad (4 Years into the future)

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by artistwantab, Dec 31, 2022.

1. artistwantab

artistwantab Member

Dec 7, 2022
    I wanted to start this to see how is stacks up a year from now and beyond.

I think our group for the EURO is so weak it unlikely anything drastic will happen in the next year. Hoping our new coach actually schedules friendlies against the stronger nations.

Obviously Pepe & Ronaldo wont be around due to age.

From the 26 currently this is who will survive a year from now and likely beyond.

Bold are clear starters baring injury.

Position No. Player Club Age Cap

GK 12 Jose Sa Wolves (ENG)
    GK 22 Diogo Costa Porto (POR) - I sure hope he matures more.

DEF 2 Diogo Dalot Manchester United (ENG) - I am not sold on him but he is our current best option
    DEF 24 Antonio Silva Benfica (POR) - Promising
    DEF 4 Ruben Dias Manchester City (ENG) - He didn't play well recently but rumors are he played hurt
    DEF 19 Nuno Mendes PSG (FRA) - we were a different team with him on the field

MID 8 Bruno Fernandes Manchester United (ENG) - I don't think he will be starting for anyone in two years
    MID 10 Bernardo Silva Manchester City (ENG) - Experienced sub
    MID 16 Vitinha PSG (FRA) - I think at best he will be the next Bernardo Silva

FWD 15 Rafael Leao AC Milan (ITA) - He wont be special but he'll be a fast sub
    FWD 11 Joao Felix Atletico Madrid (SPA) - I hope he figures it out because he has the most talent of the next generation of players.

Here is my future predictions...for starters

Renato Sanchez - Controlling Mid/Defensive Mid
    Fabio Vieira - Attacking Mid - I don't think he will be "special" but a step above what we have
    Vasco Sousa - Mid-Fielder - I see something in him
    Fabio Carvalho - Mid-Fielder - Probably one of the most talented but not sure he has the mentality to be great.
    Florentino Luis - Def-Mid - I like this player and expected him to break out in Monaco and already be part of the national team. Not sure now if he will be the star I expected

Thats it on my list - Sadly I don't see anything "Special" but we can be hopeful

jec1 and verde-rubro repped this.
  2. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    It's Sanches not Sanchez, we ain't Spanish.

Gonçalo Inacio has been starting for 3 years for Sporting and doesn't get a mention for CB? At least as a depth option.

artistwantab repped this.
  3. artistwantab

artistwantab Member

Dec 7, 2022
    Ha! I can't believe I did that. "sancheS" Been living in California too long.

Actually yes. He deserves to be on this list.

I am sure I missed some players off this list. Some players JUST do their job and fall under the radar. Ricardo Carvalho was that type of player. Sorry I missed it.

4. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Midfield is very important imho.

Palinha
    Florentino
    Renato
    Vitinha
    William

Keeper: I'd start Jose Sa over Diogo.
    Back end: Cancelo/AS/Dalot/Mendes/Ignacio/Rui (Pepe is gonna retire)

Forwards is up in the air.

Ramos
    Leao
    Felix
    Guedes
    Trincao

obviously... anything can change. Regression/injuries.

Don't forget, Diego Moreira/Rodrigo Ribeiro who may be stars, also CR junior.

My honest opinion: we have a really solid team. So s**t up haters!

5. artistwantab

artistwantab Member

Dec 7, 2022
    I think this is a solid guess for immediate future.

But I don't think the following will be around in two years. They will be called and dropped and then called and dropped and rarely used in the next two years...

Palinha - No we have Sanches & Florentino - we wont keep three defensive mid unless Sanches gets moved to controlling mid
    William - He is 30 and he isn't getting any faster.
    Cancelo - Age
    Rui Fonte - I hope you are kidding - Ignacio - Silva - Dias We never bring more then (3) CD Danilo will be called as long as he is starting for PSG because he can play DM also
    Ramos - He will be a bench warmer shortly after leaving Benfica - Andre Silva was a better player when he left Portugal
    Guedes - His career is on a down swing with no upside
    Trincao - age is on his side but he has degraded since he was 18 with every passing year being worse

CR Junior
    Ronaldo seemed to hint in an interview that his son didn't have the work ethic and you rarely see Ronaldo post any pictures of him training with his son on insta or other anymore.

He may be like Pele and Plantini's Son - Good enough to get his chances but rarely anything special.

I hope I am wrong.

Diego Moreira
    Rodrigo Ribeiro

- I don't comment on youth players until they start regularly for the "A" teams. We have a long history of players excelling from 16-19 only to become average later.

Because Portugal clubs are in the business of "selling" players I wonder how much of the hype is Propaganda fueled by the clubs to raise prices.

6. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    CR JR is on the Real Madrid youth team in Spain while his dad is playing in Saudi Arabia. Which is interesting.

7. artistwantab

artistwantab Member

Dec 7, 2022
    Don't forget he was born in San Diego California.

He may play for the United States.

8. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Is his mom mexican? San Diego is pretty close to the border.

9. artistwantab

artistwantab Member

Dec 7, 2022
    I don't think so.

CR Jr looks Brazilian.

jec1 repped this.
  10. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    you're right, It's impossible to know the line up but i am optimistic... the talent is there!

I'm more concerned about the coach. We need someone that brings them together and likeable.

11. artistwantab

artistwantab Member

Dec 7, 2022
    I wish we hire a french or German coach.

Anti Santos repped this.
  12. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ironically, Frances coach is their version of cuck santos. They just have mbappe carrying to mask it

If i was in charge of the FPF, my first question in the job interview would be "what is your opinion on Bruno Fernandes". Extremely important part of the vetting process....

13. artistwantab

artistwantab Member

Dec 7, 2022
    You play with the best 11 you have. We don't have a strong enough 11 to play attacking soccer.

14. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    How? Benfica has played attacking soccer successfully all season and Portugal has a better selection of players (Leao, Bernardo, Cancelo) in addition to the ones already on Benfica (Rafa, Ramos, Antonio Silva)

15. artistwantab

artistwantab Member

Dec 7, 2022
    I know you are taunting all the Benfica fans here because you can't possibly compare league play to international soccer.

Benfica's midfield consists of two midfielders (Joao Mario and Rafa) who couldn't consistently even break into the Portuguese starting 11. Mario failed everywhere else he played and Rafa smartly stayed in Portugal his whole career.

Renanto Sanches recently whined in an interview about the pressure playing in Germany. I was high on him. If you can't handle that pressure how are you going to handle the pressure in a 0-0 world cup game when its do or die. Explains why he was never trusted with playing the DM position and rarely started for Portugal.

16. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Anyone who thinks José Sa should start ahead of Diogo Costa, all I see from that guy are cheap mistakes, just look at City's 3rd goal today.

17. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Diogo Costa was amateur hour at the world cup.

18. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Yes so he should never play? At Porto he's been a baller. Has way more future than Sá

19. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    for now no, He had his shot and blew it. I would give Sa a turn now

20. artistwantab

artistwantab Member

Dec 7, 2022
    Costa made to glaring errors but he also made some great saves.

I think its too early to remove him because I didn't see anything from Sa in the youth tournaments.

That being said I wish we played Patricio at the WC.

21. artistwantab

artistwantab Member

Dec 7, 2022
    BTW....Whats going with Bernardo Silva? He been on the bench a lot lately.

22. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    They're other midfielders are just in better form. And he's been repeatedly moody about leaving, I think he wants out, wouldn't be surprised if he's at Barcelona next summer.

Some rumours that City wants Leao and are willing to include Cancelo in a cash + swap deal.

23. artistwantab

artistwantab Member

Dec 7, 2022
    Never going to Barca. That rumor has been on the surface for years and years and I think it started with his camp or Man City to increase his value.

Barcelona basically said in a statement that he isn't worth the money.

“We will not spend €80m to sign Bernardo Silva from Man City, that’s for sure,” he told Cadena SER, before also fielding a question on star striker Erling Haaland: “He’s playing for Man City now - we have Lewandowski in that position, Robert is doing great.”

He was never going to sign with them. He will end up with a mid-level team in France if his Man City transfer fee drops. He may end up on Benfica to replace Enzo.

His career is dwindling down.

24. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Too early for Benfica but I do think he'll end up back there one day. Maybe after the next world cup.

His current value is 80M on transfermarkt, 2 years ago he was in form and worth that much but after a sub par season this season where he's been on the bench mostly, they could be quick to move him on for 40-50m and bring in a younger guy (Maybe they enter the race for Enzo if he stays til the summer).

25. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Its because kdb plays his position, and he is the worlds best midfielder. Whenever kdb is out injured, Bernardo usually stars in his role

Barcelona did want to buy him, the only reason they didnt was because they couldnt sell De Jong