The Front Office and Its Lack of Sack.....

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Rooney20, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DeRo...to Toronto REALY?...REALY?? Great move for them...this makes them scary. How can they get DeRo for a defender i have never heard of and only 150 k allocation???

Just once I wish Agoos woud find his nuts and pull a move like this...we need a CAM bad. Come on Agoos sack up and get us a worth while CAM...I dont care where he is from...N. America....S.America...Europe...Asia....Australlia...Lets ********ing go we have waited long enough for him to come through.

2. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is Canadian, so it makes sense.

3. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, but TFC got him on the cheap!

4. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Amado might be expendable to them so you know we need an attacking mid so maybe emm we could call Mo up to hook us up on a sweet deal you know...thaat guy that played for us a few years ago..:p :eek:

5. kahlva

kahlva New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    I have a feeling DeRo was an enormous part of this - he wanted to go to Toronto. Has wanted to ever since Toronto came into the league.

With our salary cap restrictions (which are severe), the player has to WANT to come and play here. The little money we can give alone is never going to grab us a creative mid.

We play in an unfriendly, cavernous environment, and our coaching/front office has been a mess for years. It's finally starting to look like we're standing on solid ground, so - we'll get one sooner rather than later, I think.

6. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, we should trade for players that don't actually want to play here. Always smart.

7. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No genius...trade for a player of DeRo's caliber?

8. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    No fuc*king way, he is mentally disturbed...He only play good when he pleases and that's every five games...

9. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Derosario wanted to go back home. MLS granted him his wish.

Agoof can't find a nut while standing in a planters canning plant. That and he's too damn busy trying to cut everyones salary.

10. qzpt7

qzpt7 New Member

Dec 10, 2008
    The restrictions depend on a few things. #1 there is no way RB is going to keep 4 DM's , I have a feeling Stammler is gone. #2 is Etcheverry coming back? #3 Im 99% sure DVB is gone . #4 no one on the D-line is a lock except for Petke.

So in my opinion, the restrictions may not be that much of a hindrance. Morales was had for $245K so..... I think it depends more on what Osorio plans on doing. In my opinion, there are a few options in the USL that could help out as well. we will see

11. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have always thought the FO needs "Sack" :cool:

12. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

C'mon, who else besides me read the thread title and thought for a second this was about Nick Sakiewicz?

But anyways, if Agoos is smart and not lazy, he do much better scouting this offseason than last. If not, cut him loose already.

13. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHAD????? What has Agass done? Anything to help JCO with players?

14. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He does help. He offered VDB a paycut recently.:rolleyes:

15. MetroStone

MetroStone New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He offered Kassel a developmental contract :cool: look how well that worked out.......for Maryland

16. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Touche.

Those corner kicks on sunday sure looked good.

17. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And had they signed him last year, they would already be a year in on the "You can't sign another homegrown player for 2 years or else we will neuter you rule" bullsh-t". He was one of if not the top freshman in college this year, yeah yeah college sucks etc, and he would be Zero freaking Zero to our cap his first year as a GA contract. 12 years of dingbat management make me believe that this will not end well. This kid in a DC shirt or playing for Bruce in LA will piss me off.

19. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Well, it could end well, if they signed him. In a year when the Bulls are not well-positioned (definitely middle of the pack) in a strong draft, they essentially get a freebie. Despite the GA contract the Bulls could be picking number one in the Kassel draft. They would have an extra draft pick, perhaps not a first rounder; but definitely in the top half.

That value in itself could give them the option to play a little with their other draft picks. The Bulls could draft a stud defender in the first round. They could trade down and load up on picks for future years. Or they could package some picks and get a veteran player or allocation money.

Osorio is of a mind to go out and scout for players not in the college system. I wouldn't be surprised if they took advantage of the market and traded away some or all of the picks.

But having the rights to Kassel basically gives him one he doesn't have to draft.

Question: Are there any Bradenton or other youth players who could be seen in that Altidore/Bradley class of sleeper picks?

20. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well put, 10 bucks they screw something so obvious up.

As for sleepers, none that I know of. Renken, Gyau and Jerome are the animals on that team and are being scouted heavily. Although you do have another rb academy kid there in John Agudelo.

21. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Exactly. The Bulls are neither well-positioned nor predisposed to pursue anyone like that this year. Unless the club/Osorio sees something in a sleeper type player I don't see them trying too hard to get players through the draft. But Kassel is a freebie, so to speak.

22. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year, if we signed Kassal to a GA contract and he didn't work out, we'd be screwed. Letting him play a year in college, proving his worth so to speak, is a gamble, but it's paid off.

If he's going to sign with MLS now, we can still pick him up with first rights. He's got the talent to be a good developmental player, or we can trade him if he doesn't fit. That's better than losing him outright in the draft.

I hope he signs and turns into another Mike Bradley. But even if we pick him up and trade him for something, we'll still be cashing in on the academy investment, and I'll accept that. What would be a real dumb-ass move is to allow him to sign with another MLS team without getting anything in return.

23. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How would we have been screwed? I understand that I'm pretty much clueless about the leagues set in jello rules, but as I understand it, again I may be wrong and if so please someone enlighten me, but as I understand Generation Adidas contracts. It's zero to the teams cap.

The League/Adidas signs them and they are purely freebies to the team. Sounds like win win to me, and when taking into account the other BS "Homegrown player" rule, and considering Kassel was tabbed as RBs homegrown player. Wouldn't it have been better to have signed Kassel last year and be one year in on the clock for the next player? Say a Walter Hines(currently playing for St. Johns U) or John Agudelo(rb academy now at bradenton U-17)? I don't seem to be able to find the screwed part had we signed him last year. The kid gets signed first academy player in MLS to do so, attracting more youth players into the system looking for pro contracts,exposure to better coaching and pro scouts, GA contract meaning free to RB in terms of cap. He pans out RB can sell him off to some euro team or other in a few years. If he doesn't pan out no harm no foul it didn't cost RB a dime Adidas was picking up the tab anyway.

Am i missing something? Kassel signed as a GA and still have our first round pick in the draft at 14 which should land us a serviceable CB who can't be any worse than the bunch we have now preferably a GA as well. Both free prospects , zero to the cap and roster exempt( not sure on this one).

24. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way I see it, other teams knew a bit about Kassal, but he was still a kid that was doing good in a kid's league. So, if he was brought into MLS too soon, he might not have developed into a player worthy of keeping the GA spot for three years. So it would have been a gamble.

Having declined to gamble, we're now in a better position. Kassal's stock went up with his success in Maryland. We still own first right of signing, and other teams may be more interested in him as a GA. So, if he'd failed, we be stuck with a failed GA. Sure, that can still happen, but at the time, signing Kassal was an all or nothing thing.

Now, we can sign him and keep him. Or sign him and trade him. Being patient has helped increase the options open to us because it helped him develop even more.

25. Ilvinotinto

Ilvinotinto Member

Apr 8, 2008
    New York
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Well , for the moment I have my questions on how the Red Bulls handle themselves. The GM acts as a Cashman of baseball at times without having anything to back him up.

A number of things need to change in the Red Bulls and I think it should start with part of the adminitrative staff.