The Freddy Adu catchall thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Blustar, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I think it was confirmed no games until Spring

2. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found Part 1 of Grant Wahl's new podcast on the prodigy of Freddy Adu really interesting. Should be a very good series.

taylor, um_chili and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  3. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Ugh Grant Wahl is the worst.

taylor and WrmBrnr repped this.
  4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    why? I like him.

5. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn’t remember that he’d made so much money as a teenager or that he went to Bradenton at 11.

CyphaPSU repped this.
  7. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    Same here. Didn't know he was there at 11.

11. That's crazy.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  8. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Was kicked out for sneaking in hookers at 12.

9. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Signed $1M deal at age 13 and graduated from HS at 15.

10. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Filmed a commercial with Pele!
    Pele soN!
    Who gets to do THAT?!?

11. maroonlaw

maroonlaw Member

Mar 26, 2015
    Listened to the second episode of American Prodigy today. I couldn’t believe Adu’s ‘mental conditioning coach’ Trevor Moawad would go on the record that he believed “the kid has to play” and “earn[ing]... minutes” with D.C. United was “not the deal the league made... with Sierra Mist and with Nike.” Tells you a lot.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  12. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every time I scroll past this picture, I think, "No, this is Freddy years from now, still waiting for a call from a fourth-division team in some obscure backwater country."

Marko72 and glennaldo_sf repped this.
  13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait really?

14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I Googled it and it brought me back to this thread.

15. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't know he had a thing for rugby players

aveslacker repped this.
  16. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have listened to the first 4 episodes of Grant Wahl's Freddy Adu podcast and man, what a blast from the past. It really reiterates how US soccer and MLS really screwed the pooch with this guy and credit to Freddy for shouldering all their crap and never giving up even as his star faded dimmer and dimmer.

It shows him in a new light for me...he was a golden link in an otherwise iron chain. He was by all accounts, a bonafide top youth prospect who was tasked with: 1) save the MLS 2) propel US soccer to the next level 3) become an American pop star 4) develop as a player 5) develop as an adult...all at 14.

But every copper, silver, and golden link we've had since can trace their game back to Freddy. There's a great interview with Ebobise (sp?) about how he saw Freddy, suddenly, as the young black player that gave his own soccer playing relevance. He reckons he never would've stuck with the sport if not for seeing Freddy (and any of us that played in those days know what a 2nd class sport soccer was). And who knows who else trades in their shin pads for something else.

Freddy has every right to be aggrieved about it all but still comes across as a happy, care free guy, albeit a bit wiser and hardened by all that's happened. Highly recommended listen.

And all of this is not to say, "man, we really missed out on a global superstar" but Freddy today, with the current climate and infrastructure, would be playing at a decent professional level, and certainly would've had a much better shot at developing like a normal great prospect and playing and living with kids closer to his age than he did. He both started and missed the train. I can imagine going back to your hotel room alone-- as a 14 year old!-- as Ben Olsen and Mike Petki and Kovalenko all go out for dollar beer night and try to pick up the cigarette girls.

17. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    The whole manufactured superstar thing was not good. But I’m skeptical an okay three year start in MLS damaged his development to such a degree that multiple opportunities in Europe couldn’t begin to “rehabilitate” Adu into a solid pro.

18. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I'm not sure he developed into a "pro" in the first place. There were stories about his days at DC United that he didn't take advice from pros or anyone else but we mainly dismissed that.

50/50 Ball and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  19. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also kinda confirmed by the podcast. I think it's 3-fold:

The MLS in ~2004 was not nearly as professional nor nurturing of young talent as today. I think the next youngest guy on the team after Freddy was Kovalenko who was in his early 20's. There were no reserves, no youth team, no plan, no safety net.

Freddy seems like a naturally gregarious guy. There's a story of him wanting to go to a club with the guys and them saying no, obviously not, and then showing up only to find him already at the club in the VIP section. I don't think Freddy was a drinker or anything, but I think he liked to be around people and play with his new found fame.

Freddy got money and fame immediately and he thought that should translate to respect from his coaches and minutes on the field. Both had to be earned and that was conveyed to Freddy as "grind your way in, get beat up, devote yourself to the team" which was contrary to Freddy's personality and what Freddy was having whispered into his ear, and to his soccer experience in the States up until that point.

Listened to the latest episode while making dinner last night and Freddy for the first time was nearly in tears talking about what a mistake it was leaving Benfica for Monaco. He and Angel Di Maria were vying it out on Benfica at the time and Angel stayed while Freddy left (at the behest of a cousin advising him). The rest as they say is history.

20. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Am I the only one who finds this podcast so far to be a heap of pointless fluff? Grant Wahl has unearthed absolutely nothing we didn’t already know. How do you interview so many people and basically have them say nothing new?

UniversalAdvice and DisgustinJustin repped this.
  21. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's probably value in that for folks that haven't followed the entire saga as closely as some of us have; or even for them, having all the info compiled into one narrative.

22. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of the interviews are great and it's amazing to hear from guys like Olsen and Petke who have gone on to be MLS coaches and they still kinda sound like inarticulate boneheads. In their mid-20's or whatever they were probably insufferable.

The early 2000s still feels like the neanderthal dark ages of the sport -- little to no guidance for youth, vets who vowed to "take lumps out of" the rooks, sports psychology and mental coaching were after thoughts or poorly implemented. Oh Fred, you were before your time.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  23. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I really hate that I don't get bs freddy notifications.

24. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    One of the quotes that has stuck with me through all of these years was Ricardo’s (?) comment while he was at Monaco...”there were steps in his footballing education that were missed.”

At the time it didn’t mean that much to me. But as the years pass I become more convinced....his problem was playing first team football, and playing/practicing with first team squads....his entire career. He was never placed in an environment to learn....where he was deliberately placed in situations where his weaknesses were exposed, where he was forced to address them. First team football is about figuring out how best to win this weekend. First team football isn’t a place where you try to expose young players weaknesses so they can learn from them.

he would have been much better off playing for Benfica’s youth team when he went over at 18. Instead he, an probably his advisors, were convinced that he just needed to find a place where he could play on the first team. And went around the world trying to find it during a critical time when he should have been playing games where the goal was to improve on weaknesses in preparation for eventually playing in pro matches that matter.

the first team isn’t the place to to do that.

I liken it to him being a teenage math whiz being asked to join a group of engineers designing an airplane. He had the skills needed to be an engineer. Perhaps the best engineer among the group, But without the engineering education...he wasn’t going much value.

Simply getting older doesn’t make a difference. He reached a point of being exactly who he was going to be real early.

25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. These days he probably end up in a German or Dutch U19 team at least for the first few months.

50/50 Ball repped this.