The Freddy Adu Award for the ultimate underachiever

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Ehho_O
    He was injured for a long time.

Orange14 repped this.
  2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm not sure given he had several bad knee injuries from which he really never recovered. I remember at one point he was the top talent in the Ajax academy. It's sad when injuries take these players away from us.

3. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Fair enough, I didnt hear about the recent injuries.

2020 is almost coming to a close though, so we need a few candidates. Please post your choices

4. Teak

Teak Member+

Feyenoord, VfB Stuttgart, Valencia
    Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I don't know. Freddy Adu set a pretty high bar with the hype. I think that Royston Drenthe reached that level also, what with his move to Real Madrid before even becoming a regular in the Eredivisie.

It seems that Adam Maher never reached the lofty predictions placed on him.

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He is still a starter in the Eredivise so maybe he escapes the award for this season.

Teak repped this.
  6. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  7. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
  8. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah, I didnt want to start a Drenthe thread on its own, so I put it in this one

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What is the name of the Portuguese MF who just like Drenthe had a great Euro tournament when he was 17 and then signed a big contract with Bayern? He has been shuffling around and I don't even know where he is playing right now. He could be a candidate.

10. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It cant be Joao Felix, can it???

After that I dont know

11. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Renato Sanches- lille. Has made the portguese team again in the last few NL games.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  12. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You guys, are only Dutch players candidates now??

I'm gonna have to scroll back a few pages now

13. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Maher was mentioned on page 1

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Any player is eligible!!!

15. Teak

Teak Member+

Feyenoord, VfB Stuttgart, Valencia
    Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Okay, here is an update on Royston Drenthe, the front runner for the Freddy Adu Award.

He has signed to play with Racing Murcia FC of Spain's 4th tier (Tercera Division). The Tercera Division has 360 teams divided into 18 regional groups! Currently Racing Murcia lead Group B of Group 13 by 1 point after 9 matches. If they win promotion, they will move up to Segunda B, the 3rd level in Spain, which has only 102 teams in 10 sub-divisions.

Guys, the way back to Real Madrid and the Dutch NT starts in Murcia!!

https://www.sportbible.com/football...has-not-kept-in-shape-after-transfer-20210108

The brother of Paul Pogba is also at the same club.

https://us.soccerway.com/teams/spain/murcia-city/46793/

16. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freddy Adu was never fast and that wasn't his game. It was all about what to do with the ball, which he did very well. He just didn't like to train and pretty much stayed out of shape for his whole adult career, and didn't put in the effort needed to succeed.

17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I saw him play as a youth and then when he was first with DC United. As a youth player he was outstanding because he had skills way beyond his age group. Unfortunately, there are a great many examples of this throughout the world and as players reach professional age, they need to have strength, speed, quickness, and an ability to see the field. Adu's lack of speed and quickness at the professional level is what doomed him to mediocrity. We could all see that in the early days with DC United. One wonders if Naci Unuvar at Ajax will go down the same road. He was amazing in the youth ranks.

18. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Wow... I didn't realize that many kids left early in their teens for a greener pasture. Pick you favorite!

Attached Files:

19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    A lot of those moved to England as 16 year olds for money. With England out of the EU, that won't happen any longer.

20. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Now they go to Dortmund :(

Orange14 and Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  21. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes exactly! Another big Euro league will just take over from England

22. Different country, same mojo.
    Zirkzee went to Bayern and hasnot developed at all.
    Decades ago there was a Feyenoord central defender in the youth, who was stolen by Bayern. Beckenbauer talked about the next Frank Rijkaard. Never heared about him since.

23. There's a reason why we disproportionally from our population numbers and number of young people paying football have stars.
    It all has to do with the gametime given at the age of 17-21 years.

24. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Just curious. Has anyone done a study whether Portugal produces more top flight football players than the Dutch. Both countries are similar in population and both have good NTs.

25. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    without a doubt Portugal. the difference between both is the dutch often fail too make the transition from the eredivisie to other big leagues while portugal has had far greater success in this aspect. Bruno fernandes, Joao felix, Ruben Dias, Joao Cancelo, Bernardo Silva, Ruben Neves, upand coming, Francisco Trincão, Pedro Neto, Diego Jota, Rafael Leão. the list is long

their success can also be attributed to production line of talents which all three sporting, Porto and benfica continue to produce in youth ranks and with the trio featuring in CL and EL season after season, has been an excellent stepping stone for the players .

the other aspect would be to that of the Brazilian influence in the league making it more competitive compared to eredivisie. again you cant look no further to this at Shakhtar Donetsk.

also credit to Nuno Espírito Santo present day who has transformed wolves team with the Portuguese contingent and this again has being a good stepping stone for the players at both club and international level..

lastly you also have to give credit to Fernando Santos who has been at the helm for portgual since 2014. he is master tactician as well and with the current generation they future looks bright.