The Fox Soccer Era

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by tsun23, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just a random guess, but I wonder if some of that switching has to do with the team or a player. Would they rather focus on Chelsea 4 - 0 Maribor or Zenit 1 - 1 Benfica?

At least Chelsea is a "name brand" as opposed to Zenit-Benfica.

(See what I mean?)

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The clubs could be a factor but if you pay for Fox Soccer Plus you could be interested in all the clubs. Chelsea fans who wanted to see their club keep scoring didn't need Multimatch 90 to see that. Fans of Zenit or Benfica needed Multimatch 90 or DirecTV.

3. tsun23

tsun23 Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FOX Sports is planning the most expansive and comprehensive multi-platform coverage ever of the FIFA Women’s World Cup™, including an unprecedented 16 matches airing live on FOX broadcast network, when the tournament commences in Canada next June. The announcement was made today by Eric Shanks, President, COO and Executive Producer, FOX Sports.

FOX Sports televises all 52 games in the expanded tournament from six cities across Canada between June 6 and July 5, 2015 live on FOX; FOX Sports 1, America’s fastest growing network; and FOX Sports 2. Digitally, all games are available on tablets and mobile devices via the FOX Sports GO app and online at www.FOXSportsGO.com.

In addition to the 16 matches committed to FOX, which include one semifinal, the third place match on July 4 and the final on July 5, FOX Sports 1 carries 30 matches, including all eight in the round of 16, two quarterfinals and one semifinal. The remaining six games are slated for FOX Sports 2. Never before has a broadcast network televised 16 FIFA Women’s or Men’s World Cup matches, and the 2015 event marks the first time since 2003 that any FIFA Women’s World Cup™ matches are scheduled for over-the-air broadcast in the U.S. Combining games with anticipated pregame, postgame and complementary programming, FOX Sports is expected to provide almost 200 hours of coverage from the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2015™, averaging between six and seven hours a day over the month-long tournament.

The field for the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2015™ has been expanded from 16 to 24 teams and from 32 to 52 matches. Eight countries make their debuts in the tournament while four champions return, including the U.S. Women’s National Team. The top-ranked USWNT finds itself in the “Group of Death” which includes Sweden (No. 5), Australia (No. 10) and African champion Nigeria, the only group featuring three of the world’s top 10 teams.

Japan enters the tournament as its defending champion, having beaten the USWNT in a penalty shootout following a 2-2 draw extra time in the 2011 final in Germany. The US (1991 & 1999) and Germany (2003 & 2007) are the only teams to win the title twice since the quadrennial tournament began in 1991. Norway took the crown in 1995.

The last five FIFA Women’s World Cup™ tournaments were televised by ESPN or ESPN-related networks and game coverage featured: 32 matches in 1999, 2007 and 2011; 18 matches in 2003; and six matches in 1995. ABC last broadcast FIFA Women’s World Cup matches over the air in 2003, carrying just three. ABC combined to carry just seven FIFA Women’s World Cup™ matches in the three tournaments from 1995 to 2003.

4. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    1) Your own words, or quoting a press release? Good job if you wrote all that yourself.

2) Don't care how expansive and comprehensive, it probably won't touch the numbers seen by the Mia Hamm-led teams. At least the US games won't.

Thx,

Jay![/QUOTE]

5. tsun23

tsun23 Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [/QUOTE]
    Press Release

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Hate to say it but women's soccer ratings will be bad as long as the teams wear 1999 baggy, men's uniforms.

7. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Report Card For FOX Sports’ MultiMatch 90 Soccer Coverage.
    Christopher Harris - World Soccer Talk - Wednesday, December 17.

Now that the Group Stage of the UEFA Champions League is over until the Knockout Round kicks off in February, it’s perfect timing to give a report card for FOX’s new soccer TV experience called MultiMatch 90, which was quietly debuted in September.

The concept of MultiMatch 90 is to mimic a similar experience that NFL fans enjoy with the RedZone channel where instead of broadcasting one LIVE UEFA Champions League game, FOX Sports offers a broadcast that jumps around from LIVE game to LIVE game when anything exciting or of note happens such as goals, free kicks, red cards, etc.

The challenge with soccer is that it’s more spontaneous and unpredictable than gridiron football, so it makes the job for the producer that much more challenging to pick and choose which live moments to show in key games.

Having said that, FOX Sports’ MultiMatch 90 is the best and most unique coverage that the network has offered soccer fans since FOX killed Fox Soccer channel back in September 2013.

Here are the highs and lows of the MultiMatch 90 service -

Read more at http://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/12/...match-90-soccer-coverage/#BSJtUju80uq3D6iJ.99

8. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy for the commitment and hope it goes well but have a feeling that the ratings are going to be pretty poor for everything other than the US games (hope I'm wrong). This looks a little like a TV executive at the ratings for the 2014 W.C. and the ratings for US women's games going back to 99 and thinking the two will combine for epic ratings this summer.

Hey look Sepp Blatter has joined us.

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, he may be an idiot overall but not everything he says is automatically nonsense. I'm pretty sure he was right when he made his fashion comment. I mean, the current popularity of women's soccer certainly isn't proving him wrong.

10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are we talking about Oliver again? Something-something BeIN and plexiglass news desks.

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Wikipedia lists Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2 as U.S. English language broadcaster but we all know that site has been wrong before.

12. tsun23

tsun23 Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can Confirm as of right now for the FA Cup
    SAT
    FS1:Tranmere Rovers vs Swansea City
    FS2:West Brom vs Gateshead
    Both at 10 ET with prematch show possible replay on Fox?
    SUN
    Match Day 730EST FS1
    8AM EST Dover Athletic vs Crystal Palace FS1
    10 EST FS2: Manchester City vs Sheffield Wednesday
    FS1: 10 EST Match day followed by Yeovil Town vs Manchester United 10:30 EST
    12:30 EST: Hull City vs Arsenal

EDIT: Just found out on Monday they will show Wimbledon vs Liverpool on FS1 at 2:55

QPR Kevin H and MetroChile repped this.
  13. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    Starting to think I'm going to drop FS+.. I like Scottish soccer and A-League, but with the primary function of the channel being Champions League/Europa League replays for the 9 billionth time stuff crowding out 90% of the stuff I DID watch there, it may not be worth $15/month anymore

14. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ^ Definitely would not pay $15 for it, but as part of my $10 Sports Pak it's good to have especially as it seems to have gone back to all-football-all-the-time lately after losing Premiership/Pro 12 rugby.

15. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    you see, I'm the exact opposite, the rugby was a value add.. :)

QPR Kevin H and Gonzo repped this.
  16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I negotiated with Dish to get Fox soccer plus free for 3 months because Fox News was dropped due to their contract negotiations. :D

After 3 months I will probably find something else to complain about to get this channel free. :thumbsup:

17. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Complain to the retentions department about the overall price. They should lower your bill for a while. As long as the total discounts are equal to, or greater than, the cost of FS+, you're good to go. And they may throw in a premium movie channel or two for a while.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I did not want to gloat too much...
    ... but I did negotiate those things too. :D

19. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dumped FS+ like a year ago not because what was on but because Verizon was making me pay 15$ a month and the Channel is not even Offered in HD.

20. tsun23

tsun23 Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I found the Official Press Release with some more info than I had namely Alexi Lalas debut and another game on FS1 on Tuesday featuring Everton
    FA CUP RETURNS TO FOX SPORTS

Third-Round Action Features Eight Matches from Jan. 3-6 on FOX Sports 1 & FOX Sports 2 including Arsenal-Hull City Rematch

Alexi Lalas Makes Studio Debut

Los Angeles - FOX Sports rings in 2015 with exciting third-round action from the FA Cup, the world's oldest soccer competition and England's main domestic cup tournament, Saturday through Tuesday, Jan. 3-6 on FOX Sports 1 and FOX Sports 2. The single-elimination tournament is open to teams from the full tier of leagues in England, from professional to part-time, clashing in true David and Goliath fashion.

The weekend slate begins on Saturday, Jan. 3 with a doubleheader on FOX Sports 1 and FOX Sports 2 as Tranmere Rovers-Swansea City and West Brom-Gateshead kick off simultaneously. Eleven-time FA Cup champion Arsenal looks to keep defense of its 2014 crown alive on Sunday, Jan. 4 in a rematch of last year's overtime FA Cup Final against Hull City on FOX Sports 1, one of the channel's three matches that day. Also on Sunday, FOX Sports 1 features Manchester United, the only other club with a record 11 FA Cup titles, traveling to third division team Yeovil Town, while Manchester City hosts Championship side Sheffield Wednesday on FOX Sports 2. On Monday, Jan. 5, Liverpool visits the fourth division's AFC Wimbledon on FOX Sports 1 in a replay of the famous 1988 FA Cup Final that resulted in Wimbledon's 1-0 win over Liverpool. In the lone fixture on Tuesday, Jan. 6, Everton takes on West Ham United on FOX Sports 1.

FOX Sports' FA Cup coverage begins Saturday, Jan. 3 with the 30-minute FA CUP MATCH DAY pregame show on FOX Sports 1 and FOX Sports 2 at 9:30 AM ET. Rob Stone hosts pregame, halftime and postgame coverage alongside analysts Eric Wynalda, Warren Barton and Alexi Lalas, who makes his FOX Sports debut. FA CUP MATCH DAY continues Sunday at 7:30 AM ET on FOX Sports 1 leading into Dover Athletic-Crystal Palace, and airs again at 10:00 AM ET prior to Manchester United's opener. Monday's Match Day coverage kicks off at 2:30 PM ET on FOX Sports 1 before Liverpool takes to the pitch. Stone, Wynalda, Barton and Lalas review matchups and provide commentary on the third-round action live from the FOX Network Center in Los Angeles.

All FA Cup matches and related studio programming on FOX Sports 1 and FOX Sports 2 are available to customers of participating pay-TV providers via FOX Sports GO and FOX Soccer 2Go apps, and on the web through FOXSportsGO.com. FOX Sports GO is currently available for iOS, Android, Kindle Fire tablets and Fire phones and select Windows devices. Fans can download the mobile app for free from the iTunes App Store, Google Play, Amazon App Store and Windows Store. Fans can also follow minute-by-minute commentary via @FOXSoccer and @FOXSoccerTrax Twitter accounts using #FACupOnFOX.

Replay matches, if necessary, are scheduled for Tuesday, Jan. 13 and Wednesday, Jan. 14, and the television schedule is yet to be determined. Fourth-round play begins Friday, Jan. 23. The complete third-round television schedule is listed below (subject to change; all times ET).

Nice to see majority of games on FS1 and knocked off to FS2 showing Fox taking this competition seriously

LaxBandit repped this.
  21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Lalas made sense since they will be broadcasting USA matches this cycle and the World Cup.
    I think it is a good move.

22. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For who?

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Everyone involved.

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Agreed. Although when you go straight to golf or college b-ball 3 minutes after the games, it kind of makes it irrelevant who is in the studio to break-down the games for viewers.

JayRockers! repped this.
  25. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously, they do have an obligation to get to their next show on-time...as long as their previous event isn't running over. I agree that it does feel rushed on occasion, but I think they have gotten better. I remember when MLS was a two-hour broadcast. Kickoff would be at :07 or :37 and the game would typically end about 4-6 minutes before the next show started. For a while, ESPN would add in an extra five minutes, so the show would go from 3:55 to 6 PM or it would go from 7 PM to 9:05 PM.

The 2.5 hour broadcasts are simply wonderful.