The Fox Soccer Era

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by tsun23, Jul 27, 2014.

1. tsun23

tsun23 Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THIS JUST IN: FOX decides to YOLO it and names Joe Buck as new soccer announcer. In reality it was the right and honorable call and we all hope Gus the best. For FOX now is the time to hire Martin Tyler or Ian Drake

2. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Dammit i swear i was just about to write the joe buck joke. Im psyched for now but Im sure Fox will screw this up. Guaranteed!

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As I have said many times in many threads, I don't mind Gus and Wynalda doing USA matches. I found their Gold Cup broadcasts to be entertaining for the most part.

Being the lead announcer for the World Cup though would have needed some major work on his end along with Fox hiring a good color commentator.

Now they can just focus on poaching ESPN guys or even catering to the masses here and taking the international feeds.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  4. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Realistically Jon Champion is their best option to get right now seeing that Darke is tied up to ESPN/BT Sport right now. ESPN does not have the the next two WC's but they will still air WCQ's and Euros which Darke will be calling.

5. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Thank God!
    Good Riddance Gus!
    The guy at Fox Shanks should now be canned.
    Gus experiment was awful.
    Now bring in the real talent.

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I'm going to watch a full match this afternoon, but I'm recording the whip-around show on FS+ because I'm curious to see how they do it. It seems like something that would be fun to watch on delay if I didn't know the score of 7 other matches that I didn't watch, but avoiding scores will be tough/impossible.

NFL RedZone sorta works because due to the nature of the game there is generally a long build-up to scoring plays. I say 'sorta' because with the invention of the remote control, I still don't know why you'd want to have someone else decide for you what match you should be watching and when.

Is anybody else planning to make use of FS+ today?

7. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    What they do in Germany is they switch over to a game when they score and stay on there to watch replays and then watch like 3 or 4 minutes of play after the goal, and then they switch over to another game until someone scores/gets sent off/penalty/ dangerous freekick happens. Normally you don't see the goal live, you just get to see the celebration unless they were already at that game. I stream it on my laptop while watching the one game I picked to watch. It's fun if you get it with a radio stream you like. So I listen to cadena see along with the stream and the match on TV.

8. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ^ Yeah that's basically what I do with the 10 am EPL games - I have Sky Sports Radio running on the computer, and if they announce a goal or penalty or something I switch to that game to see what happened

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easy solution, at least in theory:

A "main team" hired by FOX to do USA games and the final and possibly the opening game...similar to what ESPN had with Ian Darke. This way, the studio guys can have their own team in Russia to talk to during various studio shows, etc.

International feeds for other games.

HomietheClown repped this.
  10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd check out FS+, except for the fact that it's $15/mo for me. So, no. If it was on a sports tier or premium HD tier, then perhaps.

NFL RedZone works for me because sometimes I want to watch games other than what I'm fed by the local FOX/CBS affiliates and since Sunday Ticket isn't an option, so be it. You're right about the long build-up towards scores though. The only real downside is that when they put a large logo on the screen, sometimes it's hard to tell if they're going to a replay or if RedZone is flipping games.

unclesox repped this.
  11. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Gus Johnson steps down as pbp for champions league

His explanation:

"What I realized about calling soccer and especially international soccer, I needed to do 35-40 games just to get my bars up and my chops going," Johnson told SI.com.

"Because of my schedule, I never had a chance to get that kind of experience and work in. I always felt like I was cramming, and I don’t think that’s a good thing. If I am not the best I can be, I did not think it was something I should continue to do."

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, we already know. :p

Don't get me wrong...I'd love to have new announcers. There's nothing wrong with that. The problem (at least for the past 10-15 or more) years is that whenever someone, such as ESPN or FOX, tries to get a new announcer on board, they try to bring their own schtick to "Americanize" the broadcast AND these new announcers are always thrown "off the deep end without knowing how to swim" as an example.

If a new announcer watched the game, THEN worked from the bottom up, it just might work. Learn the basic rules of the game, then the players and teams, etc.

Why anyone would announce a large-scale final in their first or second season of commentating is anyone's guess.

13. tsun23

tsun23 Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone catch Multimatch 90. What were your thoughts

14. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    It was cool: similar to RAI's La Giostra dei Gol and what Sky Germany did with the BuLi. In other words, the channel is not showing any specific game: just a random one, and if something "interesting" occurs at a different match, then the broadcast switches over to said match and so on.

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah the multimatch was better than I thought it would be. I only watched it after I had watched a couple of games live and knew all the scores already.

16. Krypts

Krypts Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Louisiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Fox just removed FS1 and FS2 from their Fox Sports Go app? I watched the Liverpool match on it yesterday but those channels are now gone today.

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    For those of us with Dish Network...
    ...Fox Sports 2 is now available in HD.

MetroChile repped this.
  18. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Just noticed that, as well. :thumbsup:

19. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes sense. I actually think he could have been a good soccer announcer. I like him in basketball and football and if he knew the game better, and used the over the top voice at the right time, it could have worked. But as he pointed out himself he would have needed to become a full time soccer announcer and probably spend a significant part of the year in Europe. Would have had to give up his college football and basketball gigs seems like he wasn't willing to. Fair enough and good on him and fox not continuing to do it half assed.

Now go find someone who is willing to do it full time.

20. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I don't know who this Mario guy is who is handling commentary on the Wolfsburg-Lille match, but he is brutal. He seems to be the FS2 commentary guy for Europa since last MD his every other word "you know" graced the one of the game on FS2. I wish Fox would follow the CL model and go with feed commentary. Why hire freelancers? Save some money and hire a couple guys to do half-time but there is no reason to use these guys for EL. Does Fox think such a move will draw more viewers? Europa is truly for the hardcore football fan since most of the matchups are not going to entice peripheral fans or gloryhunters.

bigtw64 repped this.
  21. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Former Chelsea and Dutch international Mario Melchiot.

Has the pedigree people usually expect on their international feeds, if they come with color commentary.

Thx,

Jay!

22. tsun23

tsun23 Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the press release for there CONCACAF Women's Championship Coverage
    FOX SPORTS NAMES ANNOUNCERS FOR COVERAGE OF
    CONCACAF WOMEN'S WORLD CUP QUALIFYING TOURNAMENT
    Reporter Jenny Taft Embedded with USWNT
    30-Minute Pregame Show Precedes Every USA Match
    Los Angeles -- FOX Sports today unveils the announcers and analysts covering the complete
    2014 FIFA Women’s World Cup CONCACAF Qualifying Tournament across the FOX Sports
    family of networks beginning Wednesday, Oct. 15. For the first time ever, all 16 tournament
    matches are televised, with coverage provided by FOX Sports 1, FOX Sports 2, FOX Soccer
    Plus, FOX Sports GO and FOX Soccer 2Go. The announcement was made today by FIFA
    World Cup on FOX Executive Producer David Neal.
    “The group we’ve assembled for the 2014 CONCACAF Women’s Championship is an exciting
    mix of veterans and newcomers who we're sure will blend together nicely, providing soccer fans
    the insight and coverage they clearly expect,” said Neal. “We're committed to providing a level
    of coverage this tournament has never seen, and we've set a terrific foundation.”
    FOX Sports’ game analysts include numerous U.S. Women’s National Team veterans. Cat
    Whitehill is a 10-year veteran defender and current player-coach for the Boston Breakers in the
    National Women’s Soccer League, while midfielder Angela Hucles played on the USWNT for
    seven years, including two FIFA Women's World Cups. Defender Danielle Slaton spent five
    years with the national squad before moving on to play for Olympique Lyonnais, where she was
    a starting defender on the French First Division team. Tony DiCicco, best known as head
    coach of the USWNT that won the legendary 1999 FIFA Women’s World Cup, adds a coach’s
    perspective. Completing the team are former University of Minnesota soccer star Kyndra de
    St. Aubin, who has covered women's soccer for the Big Ten Network and Pac-12 Networks,
    and former Canadian Women’s National Team striker Christine Latham.
    Jenny Taft, a FOX Sports 1 reporter and update anchor and a former Division I college athlete,
    is assigned exclusively to coverage of the USWNT for the duration of the tournament. Taft is
    embedded with the USWNT throughout the 12-day tournament, providing an in-depth look,
    news updates and features from the inside. Her reports also appear daily on FOX Sports 1
    studio shows AMERICA'S PREGAME and FOX SPORTS LIVE.Calling play-by-play throughout the tournament are John Strong, JP Dellacamera,
    Calling play-by-play throughout the tournament are John Strong, JP Dellacamera, Mark
    Rogondino, Justin Kutcher, Jenn Hildreth and Mark Followill who have all called the game
    at the international, professional or collegiate levels. Each play-by-play announcer is paired with
    various analysts throughout the tournament.
    Before every USWNT match, coverage on FOX Sports 1 or FOX Sports 2 kicks off with a 30-
    minute pregame show live from Los Angeles with host Rob Stone alongside a rotation of expert
    analysts. Included in that group are U.S. Soccer Hall of Famer Eric Wynalda, former USWNT
    stars Leslie Osborne and Heather Mitts, as well as former Mexican Women’s National Team
    defender Monica Gonzalez. Julie Stewart-Binks also hosts pregame coverage for select
    matches. FOX Sports soccer insider and Sports Illustrated senior columnist Grant Wahl serves
    as a tournament correspondent, and longtime FIFA and Match Commissioner Dr. Joe Machnik
    provides insight and opinion as it pertains to officiating.
    The CONCACAF Women’s World Cup Qualifying journey begins on Wednesday, Oct. 15 with a
    doubleheader live from Kansas City’s Sporting Park on FOX Sports 2 as Guatemala takes on
    Haiti at 6:00 PM ET, followed at 8:00 PM ET by the USWNT opener against Trinidad and
    Tobago, also live on FOX Sports 2. All games stream live on FOX Sports GO and FOX Soccer
    2Go.
    Group Stage and Playoffs
    (All times ET; schedule subject to change)
    Date Time Show/Match Announce Team Network
    Oct. 15 6:00 PM Guatemala – Haiti Dellacamera/Hucles FOX Sports 2
    8:00 PM Pregame Stone/Mitts/Wynalda FOX Sports 1
    8:30 PM USA-Trinidad Strong/Whitehill/Taft FOX Sports 2
    Oct. 16 6:00 PM Jamaica-Martinique Followill/de St. Aubin FOX Sports 2
    8:30 PM Costa Rica-Mexico Kutcher/Slaton FOX Soccer Plus
    Oct. 17 6:30 PM Haiti-Trinidad Hildreth/de St. Aubin FOX Sports 2
    8:30 PM Pregame Stone/Mitts/Osborne/ FOX Sports 1
    Wynalda
    9:00 PM USA-Guatemala Dellacamera/Whitehill/ FOX Sports 1
    Taft
    Oct. 18 4:00 PM Costa Rica-Jamaica Hildreth/Slaton FOX Sports 2
    6:30 PM Martinique-Mexico Rogondino/Whitehill FOX Sports 2
    Oct. 20 5:00 PM Trinidad-Guatemala Rogondino/Latham FOX Sports 2
    7:00 PM Pregame Stone/Mitts/Osborne/ FOX Sports 1
    Wynalda
    7:30 PM Haiti-USA Strong/DiCicco/Taft FOX Sports 1
    Oct. 21 5:00 PM Martinique-Costa Rica Dellacamera/Hucles FOX Sports 2
    7:30 PM Mexico-Jamaica Kutcher/Whitehill FOX Sports 1
    Oct. 24 4:30 PM Semifinal 1 Rogondino/DiCicco FOX Sports 2
    7:00 PM Pregame Stewart-Binks/Mitts/ FOX Sports 1
    Osborne/Wynalda
    7:30 PM Semifinal 2 Kutcher/Whitehill/Taft FOX Sports 1
    Oct. 26 3:00 PM Third-Place Match Hildreth/DiCicco FOX Sports 1
    5:00 PM Final Strong/Whitehill/Taft FOX Sports 1
    *Update: Due to scheduling conflicts, Costa Rica-Mexico has been moved from FOX Sports 2 to FOX
    Soccer Plus.
    - FOX

TJNash repped this.
  23. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    This whole thing where Dr. Joe chimes in every 5 minutes with stupid referee factoids is pretty pointless. Does Europa League not provide world feeds?

BostonGunner repped this.
  24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Okay, the Multimatch 90 might not have been the worst idea but it is probably the worst implemented idea.

Maybe they should adhere to some guidelines just to make it a little bit watchable. My suggestions would be:

1 - When you switch to a game, stay on it for at least 3 minutes unless something major happens else where (Note: "major" does not include a corner-kick being taken somewhere in Europe). At least for the first 80 minutes. I counted several instances last week where they stayed with a match for literally under 5 seconds. That's just over-doing it.

2 - Don't feel compelled to switch to a game just because a corner is about to be taken. Obviously to the person in the control room a corner kick is the most riveting thing in life, but most of us don't feel that way. I'd much rather they stay on a match where the action is flowing than to see a bunch of players standing around waiting for a corner to come in. At the end of the 2 hours viewers have witnessed about 40 corners. :sleep:

3 - After the 88th minute don't ever switch to a match that isn't tied or a 1-goal game (unless you're replaying a goal being scored). What the heck is the point in showing a blowout when there are several undecided matches to choose from?

4 - You don't need to tell us who the commentators are each time you switch to a match. Especially if you're not following guideline #1 above.

Lets start with those basics ... :p

25. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Haha, do they? I remember reading a study within the past year and only ~2% of corners are converted into goals.