The forgotten men (any generation)

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dark Savante, Nov 27, 2004.

1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Ouch! I remember Van Breukelen giving Matthaus a good talking to when he dived in the penalty box in 88. Oh what fun memories.

2. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
  3. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Like I said, I missed that tournament. What a pity.

4. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

He is actually very similiar to Littibarski, except Littibarski played on the wing.

5. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    IMO everyone knows Witschge, van Breukelen and Johnny Rep. The only one I had never heard about is the first one. Which team did he play for?

6. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Excellent summary of lesser known 1980s German players. Just one correction: tpmazembe, whom you quoted, was not talking of Felix Magath (who was the son of a Puerto Rican U.S. soldier), but Hansi Müller. Müller, despite looking like it, was not a transplanted Central American.

7. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Maybe this is news to you, there were plenty of Dutch players of the late-80s/early-90s that wore mullets, too.

8. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    Talking about German players: anyone remembers Dietmar Eilts, who was chosen player of the 1996 EC?

9. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Was he? I'd forgotten that. Hmm. He was a very effective defender, but player of the tournament?

He manages the German U21 team now I think.

10. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    Correct, was referring to Hansi Muller.

The thread has a mix of descent, good, and great players.....and quite a bit of average (IMO) thrown in for good measure. I'm as guilty; though Hansi was a personal favorite, I freely admit he never reached anywhere near an all-timer level.

If you want to talk about one of the best players of the last half century that never gets mentioned, you need look no further than Florian Albert. How many times does he ever get mentioned on these boards? He played in Europe and his performance at WC'66 is available on video. Very few excuses for his omission. http://www.euro2004.co.uk/players_past/481_florian_albert.html

If you take the approach of greats who didn't make the WCs and never got international exposure, I'd submit for your pleasure Canhoteiro. It is widely held in Brasil that from a technical perspective he was Garrincha's equal...but on the left-wing. There is a great biography of him available to Portuguese speakers. Here's an article about him. http://www.gazetaesportiva.net/idolos/futebol/canhoteiro/

11. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny you should mention him-he's the guy who sets up Farkas on that first-time volley against Brazil? That's a clip I should post-one of the best volleys you'll see.

12. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    Would have to review my game tape, but believe Bene made the pass to Farkas on the second goal. As I remember Albert set up the whole play by conducting the ball from almost half way line, before laying off the pass to Bene. Though my recollection is sketchy on that particular goal, I do remember it being a fantastic display by Albert for the game on the whole.

Here are his stats in European Club competitions [Fair's Cup is the predecessor to UEFA Cup.] http://galeb.etf.bg.ac.yu/~mirad/Stats/Scorers/FlorianAlbert.html

Here is the Canhoteiro biography. [Notice the title: O Garrinch Que Nao Foi...The Garrincha That Wasn't]. http://biografia.comprar-livro.com.br/livros/217775/

13. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR
    Singlehandedly? Together?

Ah, great memories....

14. geovanni hernandez is the natural inheritor of valderamma ill post a link of a video of a goal by him he has the skills

15. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    Arthur Friedenreich, The Tiger.

Son of a black Brazilian mother and a German father, Friedenreich was born in São Paulo, in 1892. A green eyed "mulato" (a Brazilian word to describe the child born from the miscegenation between black and white) in a world where racism was the absolute rule, he managed to play football, the sport of the early 20th Century's elite in Brazil.

He played for 26 years, with Sport Club Germânia, Paulistano, São Paulo da Floresta, Flamengo, Santos, Atlético Mineiro, State of São Paulo Team (Seleção Paulista) and Seleção Brasileira. He was seven-times State of São Paulo champion, three-times Brazilian Champion (with Seleção Paulista in the State Teams National Championship) and two-times South American Champion (with Brazil NT).

Friedenreich won 9 times the individual scoring title in São Paulo and scored 1.239 goals along his career. A genius whose existence most Brazilians ignore, he died in 1969.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://placar.abril.com.br/nasbancas/ate2000/junho99/fried.html

17. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    That was very interesting, thank you.

Personally, I always thought one should mix Germans with Brazilians. Imagine a cross between Oliver Kahn and Rivaldo. You can bite somebody in his neck and then collapse on the floor pretending he has hit you, getting a penalty in the process. That's a match winner, surely.

18. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Nearly forgotten from the 90s:

Freddy Rincon
    Valderrama
    Alex Aguinaga
    Marcelo Salas
    Ivan "BamBam" Zamorano
    Nelson Tapia (and alot of the 98 Chile team)
    Ariel Ortega
    Javier Zanneti
    alot of Nigeria's WC98 team...
    Jay Jay Okocha
    Sunday Oliseh
    Amokachi.. West.. i'm still surprised they didn't win in 98.
    Roger Milla

Mustpaha Hadji who I will always remember for his goal in WC98... which I would upload to my site but I have a feeling the amount of Bigsoccer traffic would crush my bandwidth (if you want to see it PM me)... he was like a bolt of dreadlocked lightning running down the field... did the most fluid stepover i've ever seen and (unlike cristiano ronaldo) scored a brutal goal right in front of the keeper.

Marc-Vivien Foe
    Alphonse Tchami

Under-rated by all EXCEPT themselves:

Romario
    Bebeto
    Faustino Asprilla
    JL Chilavert
    Patrick Kluivert

19. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    I don't believe these are almost forgotten players except for Tapia and perhaps Aguinaga. Especially Valderrama and Mila. How can they be forgotten? They are legends...

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Let's go through the Frenchies:

Domenique Rocheteau and Didier Six, both played in 1978 and 1982.

Marius Trezor who played in the same Cups also and volleyed a fabulous goal past Toni Schumacher in the 1982 semis.

The forgotten back-up midfielder of the "magic diamond" - Bernard Genghini.

And some forgotten English players from that era: Trevor Brooking, Kenny Sansom, Tony Woodcock, Trevor Francis, Viv Anderson, Gary Birtles and a NE Revs coach Pete Mariner.

21. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Ajax. I remember him also scoring fantastic goals for Holland in the 1980s, against Hungary I think. Just when it was expected that he would be sold off to some big club, when he was at the height of his career, he got a stroke.

Google Robbie de Wit and I'm sure you'll find loads on him. He's still very good friends with Marco van Basten btw.

22. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Get yourself a sense of humour Gregoriak.

23. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London
    one word:

gary breen.

strictly speaking that's two words, i know, but he's such a special player it should really be condensed to garybreen, as he is brazilian in all but actual nationality.

we all dream of a team of garybreens, a team of garybreens, a team of garybreens...