The Forest Gump Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Demosthenes, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Forrest Gump (1994)

This was on TV the other day. I remembered that it was crappy and massively overrated, but what I hadn't realized is how deeply offensive it actually is.

2. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Re: So Last What Movie Watch You Did? Vol. XXI

You're going to have to enlighten me as to how it's offensive...

3. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

or crappy and massively overrated.

1 person likes this.
  4. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is going to be interesting. I've been thinking about Forrest Gump recently--I should watch it again. Mostly I was thinking about it in comparison to The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, which as an interestingly similar film.

5. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, I find it overrated because it's maudlin, and it shamelessly and self-indulgently panders to baby-boomer nostalgia and egomania. It has many humorous moments, but the tone shifts from satirical to sentimental in a confused and rather clumsy way.

It's offensive because it quite literally glorifies stupidity. The message of the film is that a person who lives unquestioningly according to inherited, trite homilies, without ever examining his own life or tackling moral issues and complexities, will have comfort, wealth, love and contentment. Meanwhile, those who question authority, who lack complete faith and certainty, who seek some sort of meaning and sense of purpose wind up addicted, maimed, victims of abuse and dying of AIDS. The movie reinforces reactionary values at every turn. Do your duty and put your faith in God and you will become rich; join the antiwar movement and you will get beaten by a nasty, no-good, girlfriend-beating hippie. And above all, stupidity is charming and inherently good. It's really quite a disturbing message.

1 person likes this.
  6. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

What a terribly negative view, I bet you're a riot at parties.

1 person likes this.
  7. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

I'd rather party with her than a bunch of retards.

1 person likes this.
  8. PeanutFlush

PeanutFlush Member

Jul 8, 2009
    NoVa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Except for the thing that she is 100% correct. I can't stand Forrest Gump either.

9. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I'm on the same page about said film. Is it really that surprising or shocking that people who don't like it exist?

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

When I saw Forrest Gump for the first (and only) time, I was stunned about how people raved about it. I was so bored with it.

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's because you interpreted it as making fun of Alabamans. Your so sensitive! Tide Roll! :)

12. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

You post on BigSoccer. You're already partying with a bunch of retards.

9 people repped this.
  13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

Truer words...

2 people repped this.
  14. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

I have no problem with someone not liking a film but calling it offensive is taking the plot and characters of the film and twisting it into the most negative way possible.

I can understand people being offended by certain film topics but Forest Gump...get the ******** out.

15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

If we're talking Zemeckis, then if it doesn't have a flux capacitor as part of the plot, I don't want to see it (again).

16. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

Not even Who Framed Roger Rabbit or Romancing the Stone? But having said he deserves a swift kick in the nuts for Contact.

17. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

I might be the smartest movie goer or a movie critic on here, but I ain't exactly a Forrest Gump either. Really don't understand all the animosity towards that movie.

18. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think it's fair to call my understanding of the film's meaning "twisting." I know that I didn't write out a close textual analysis citing the basis for my interpretation of the movie, but you can trust that if I wanted to I could. It may be fair to say that I "read" or "deconstructed" the movie, but I just like to say that I "watched and understood" the movie.

19. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm curious:

For those of you who disagree with Demosthenes' reading of Forrest Gump's message, how would YOU describe the film's message? I confess I also find Forrest Gump to be somewhat reactionary.

20. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

I just liked the movie and the acting.

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

The main problem I have with Forrest Gump is that it turns 35 odd years of American history into some weird, sugar-coated Disneyland ride. Segregation, the Vietnam war, the cold war, the emergence of aids, ... are all used to tell a syrupy fairly tale.

22. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Since this is now the Forest Gump Film Club, I figured I should weigh in despite the fact it's probably been a decade since I've seen the film...

Obviously, there is a lot of ridiculousness. IIRC, I enjoyed the film for what it was, but I didn't really like Jenny. She was pretty horrible to Forest. That said, it's hard to disagree with Demo's take. It's pretty obvious when you think about it.

I'm finding it kind of curious how many Tom Hanks films that I like the first time around and don't hold up to closer scrutiny (Saving Private Ryan is another one, IMO). It makes me want to avoid re-watching some of his older films that I liked. That's a lot of films - he's been a major movie star for 25 years now!

When he hooks up as an EP on something with HBO, however, he's solid gold.

23. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think overall Saving Private Ryan is a good film, but Spielberg damages it by inserting unnecessary moments that are completely on the nose. Spielberg does this a lot. In Saving Private Ryan, it's when Tom Hanks says "Earn this" and then we return to Ryan as an old man asking his wife if he's been a good man. It's as though Spielberg was saying, "Now I'm going to insert a scene that makes the movie's message a painfully obvious sound bite, just in case any of the morons in the audience hadn't got it yet." He does the same thing in Schindler's list (the ring scene), and in Munich (in the conversation between Eric Bana and the Palestinian that takes place in the safe house in Greece).

Sorry, I've just been wanting to get this rant about Spielberg's recent films off my chest.

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

My take on Saving Private Ryan: the Omaha beach scene is still brilliant, but everything after that is more suited for "Indiana Ryan in France" than a serious WWII movie. Just too much ridiculousness and gimmicky Spielbergisms in there.

Ask the 606s very own Jitty Slitter for an analysis of the German's absurd tactical ineptness in the final battle.

Now, this all would have been fine had the goal been to make a WWII movie in the style of Kelly's Heroes, but this one pretended to give us an accurate reflection of what it was like for the men on the ground.

I'm afraid the real allied para-troopers and rangers came across German commanders who did know how to use their armor an superior numbers to their advantage. :eek:

Still, I'd gladly watch the opening 25 minutes again any time.

25. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

But..............it's a movie. It's not supposed to be anything more than that. It's not a historical documentary or some educational piece of cinema, it's just a movie.

Most movies, broken down by their hostorical or any other "real" value will probably suck anyways.