The first RSL player is...

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by dysko, Nov 17, 2004.

1. dysko

dysko New Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear Loyalists,

I was just informed by the RSL front office that todays announcement if an excusive event for Loyalists and whomever they invite. The regular season ticket holders did not recieve this invite. So please spread the word and come see who our first player is and get the chance to mingle with all the RSL big wigs. Airwaves Cafe (700 East, 500 South SE Corner) at 3:45 (Nov 17).

Hope to see you there.

2. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought maybe Keller but if they are unvieling the first player in Utah it would be hard to get Keller back to C-Bus in time for his WC Qualifier.

Perhaps it is the youth player whats his name..Flores?? that is playing in S. America.

Or a Real Madrid guy...yeah right.

3. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
  4. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Anyone find a list of protected players? I thought that the MLS said they'd have it published today since teams had to turn it into the league last monday.

5. soylentcbc9

soylentcbc9 New Member

May 14, 2003
    C-bus
    Deseret new reporting that it is by trade this player has been acquired.

MLS draft list likely stacked with goalies
    By James Edward
    Deseret Morning News

When the MLS expansion draft unprotected list is unveiled this morning, fans can expect as many as eight goalkeepers to be among the 70-plus players available for Real Salt Lake and Chivas USA to pick in this Friday's expansion draft.
    "The list will likely be loaded with goalkeepers, which is no surprise to me," said Eric Wynalda, an ESPN soccer analyst and former U.S. National Team player.
    Wynalda expects Chicago's Henry Ring, Dallas' Scott Garlick, New England's Adin Brown, San Jose's John Conway and New England's Matt Reis to be among the goalies available in Friday's draft.
    Whether or not Real Salt Lake coach John Ellinger decides to make a goalie one of his top priorities remains to be seen.
    "Garlick is a guy who's won championships, and he brings the veteran leadership that Real Salt Lake might be looking for," said Wynalda.
    Chivas has the first pick in Friday's draft, which will be broadcast on ESPNews at 2 p.m. Real Salt Lake's draft headquarters will be the Skybox Sports Grille in The Gateway, and the event is open to the public.
    In speculating about players who will be left unprotected, Wynalda sees a great opportunity for Salt Lake to piece together a winning team.
    "There will be some great soccer players on the list," said Wynalda. "Some of them really haven't had the opportunity with their (current) teams."
    While former national team players like Jeff Agoos, Brian Maisonneuve, Joe-Max Moore and Carlos Llamosa will likely be unprotected, it's doubtful either expansion team will select them based on their high salary and the fact they're in the twilight of their career.
    At the same time, Ellinger can't afford to just gamble on a bunch of young guys, because expansion doesn't necessarily translate into losing in the MLS.
    "That first-year thing really isn't something that should scare Real Salt Lake," said Wynalda, who was playing in the league when Chicago won the title as an expansion team in 1998.

ENDLINES: Real Salt Lake will introduce its first player at an announcement at 3:45 today. The player was acquired via a trade.

Wow, Eric Wynalda now getting interviewed for his thoughts on MLS talent--this coming from a guy who still thought Chicago had the best shot to win MLS cup 2/3 of the season in.

6. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Very likely Kreis. We haven't seen Dallas or DC's unprotected lists yet. From the rest we could probably tell if the team lost a player via trade.

7. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Kovalenko.

8. soylentcbc9

soylentcbc9 New Member

May 14, 2003
    C-bus

A proven goal scorer in this league; if he could stay healty for the next couple of years; would be a good mentor for a lot of the younger players that are expected.

9. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    It's Kreis.

For future considerations and cap room for FCD.

10. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Cap room? As in cap room from Kries not being on Dallas' books? Or cap room as in RSL is giving to Dallas some of their salary cap allocation in addition to what will be taken up by Kries?

11. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Ouch!!!

12. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats on landing Kreis. Pure class. Great veteran presence to help build a team around.

13. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Kreis will be a great fit in the SLC community. I’M STOKED!!!!!
    Does anyone know if Kreis will be there at the announcement? If so, I might have to pull a disappearing act at work…

14. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great news for Dallas..i hope you can get a years worth of production out of him. His charecter is of value though for a new team in need of vetern leadership.

15. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    What’s wrong with his character? He is the leagues top goal scorer!!

16. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I take it this is 3:45 our time (Mountain), right?

I had once heard it was going to be at 4:00 Eastern.

17. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    3:45 our time

18. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations to SLC in landing The King of Goals Jason Kreis Superstar. Truly a win win situation. The RSL fandom will truly endear this great champion as Dallas has. Cheers !

19. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Cool, I'll be there.

20. Mad Hattah

Mad Hattah Member

Jun 7, 2000
    North Florida
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kreis will give you a nice solid vet to build upon. Hope he has continued success at RSL... except when ya'll play us of course. :D

21. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope its some huge name player from europe just so that it will blow all your expansion draft protectee candidates out the friggin window

22. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    It’s already confirmed that its Jason Kreis
    www.3rddegree.net

23. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutly nothing wrong with his charecter he is class in that aspect..a good vetern presence. Yes he is the all-time leading goal scorer but he has played a signifigant amount more games that the guy the took that record from and his production as steadly decressed over the past 2 years. Not saying he is a bad pick though my original post may have came across that way, just think he was brought in to provide vetern leadership not to light up the scoreboard.