The Fire Bruce Arena Thread [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by rwhunter4, Mar 13, 2004.

1. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX

one of the most sensible things mentioned on this board tonight! Smart man.

2. somebody

somebody New Member

Feb 18, 2004
    little kids don't really count, especially when soccer is still not even considered a major PROFESSIONAL sport within the country behind football, baseball, basketball and hockey.

The media does more than you know.

3. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Kaiser
    I think we see the problem in the way Bruce has handled Mathis. Mathis is a very creative and skillful player
    Creative players disapear during matches and thats ok because it doesn't take 90 min to score a goal just 1 minute of genius.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you agree with this post, Deuter, and think it's sensible...then why do you always rag on Donovan for "disappearing" or being "invisible"? He's as creative as Mathis is. And I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, but why not same standards for both players?

I tend to agree with this thought, though. Seems hard to get the right combination of players on the field so these creative players are free to create something.

4. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

maybe BA sees something (from Wolyniec ) you don't..

5. CleanSteve

CleanSteve New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    SF
    Fair enough. The point is that there are players who do deserve more looks than others. Ralston is also a pretty good player, but hasn't shown anything for the Nats. AND he's still starting. It's getting to the point where this team needs to start showing better!

6. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Since the World Cup, the USA is 11-5-4..

Hardly terrible results.....

7. Toejam Football

Toejam Football New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Columbus,OH

Wrong, Ghost. Donovan scored on a PK vs. Denmark, remember?

Anyway, ANYBODY we put out there should have gotten a win vs. Haiti. Friendly or not, any player who can't play with anymore desire than they did tonight doesn't deserve to wear the USNT kit again? Especially Wolyniec, Armas, and Albright. Any US fan who put down money to watch on PPV or who went to the OB should demand their money back.

8. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    First off don't blame the media for Arena and USSF being as terrible as they are.

If they had good entertrainment and filled stadiums, trust me the media would be there in force.

Is it any wonder our terrible playing national team can only be "SEEN" on Matchtracker. Our Olympics team was not even on TV.

9. CleanSteve

CleanSteve New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    SF
    Maybe I'll give him (Bruce) a call. I'd love to find out what that is. Maybe he could set my mind at ease.

10. somebody

somebody New Member

Feb 18, 2004
    CleanSteve:
    Who deserves looks more than others is clearly subjective. Otherwise we wouldn't be discussing Arena's player selections etc... I think we can agree on that. With that said, there are a lot of things we don't see, such as how players perform in the training camps etc...

That's why I take little stock in friendly matches and like to try to judge the coach based on his team's results in major events. And in my mind the only major events really are WCQ and the WC itself. Again, that is just me. Obviously there are many people in this thread who disagree with me! But that's the beauty of this message board. We can have these discussions even with morons running about.

Some people are saying "let the young kids play!" Well, Wolyniec (I wouldn't pick him either) Gibbs, Bocanegra, Donovan and Beasley all played tonight didn't they? If you let all the young guys play when would you mix them with the more experienced players? It's a catch 22 in that respect folks. What's a proper mix of 'young' and 'old' players?

11. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twellman is coming off a major injury and just rounding back into shape; both Buddle and Martino were sent home injured from the U-23 IIRC. I think all these were factors in why they weren't called into this camp.

And Ghost, we scored v. Denmark, albeit a PK.

We've been horrible. Presumably Arena knows that and has an idea or two to get us out of our funk.

12. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, Deuter, I take it back. I think I got you mixed up with somebody else. :) Think I'll shut up now.

13. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    What major events?!?!

Arena and US Soccer pussed out of going to Copa America! Please.

Wait every 4 years to see if you suck, good idea.

14. somebody

somebody New Member

Feb 18, 2004
    that's why they pay him the big bucks!

finally, a good post.

15. Jimjamesak

Jimjamesak New Member

May 3, 2003
    Anchorage Alaska
    [​IMG]

If you want to fire BA then please name a suitable replacement, not just some random country. If you can't, STFU.

16. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    YO uguys are right about the PK against Denmark. We scored on a PK that was gifted to us to make up for a screwup on the other end. My worries are over now. :)

17. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Heres a starter:

Fernando Clavijo, took 11 nearly homeless players from a poor country of 7 million and tied 11 complacent Americans from a country of 300 million.

From the country of the "world series" surely you must know there are many many coaches better than the Bruce Allmighty.

18. Jimjamesak

Jimjamesak New Member

May 3, 2003
    Anchorage Alaska
    Fixed your post.

19. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's okay. I wasn't paying attention anyway.

20. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we stop using "our populace doesn't care" as an excuse?

The number of people in this country who DO care about soccer is probably comparable to the number of people who do care about soccer in a lot of European countries.

We have talented players.

They are not getting results.

What are the reasons for this?

Excuses are not the answer.

21. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

This is our 2006 :

------------------HOWARD

-----???--------POP-----BOCA---------JOB

---------------------REYNA

MARTINO---------R. CLARK---------CONVEY/DMB

---------------DONO--------ADU

it will be ready for 2006.

22. Jimjamesak

Jimjamesak New Member

May 3, 2003
    Anchorage Alaska
    If you would please note the Players not giving a crap.

And so is firing the coach, let the one we have now fix it.

23. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    How about letting the Enron guys write legislation - oh wait ....

24. Jimjamesak

Jimjamesak New Member

May 3, 2003
    Anchorage Alaska
    Sarcasm is suppose to be funny, not stupid.

25. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    So are people.