The Final Countdown...

Discussion in 'Ottawa Fury FC' started by Ottawa MLS Fan, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Coup de boule

Coup de boule Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Ottawa
    I agree with this. MLS never set a definitive deadline to make an announcement, they've waited this long, and waiting a few more weeks isn't going to hurt.

2. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I hope you are right, and I'm sure that Melnyk is in regular contact with MLS.

3. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    From the Ottawa Citizen today:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Sports/Becks+Melnyk+group+unfazed/1364194/story.html

"We believe in MLS and in the sport" said Cyril Leeder. That's the sort of news that will thrill thousands of local soccer fans who have been inundating the Senators with calls asking what they can do to help. "We are having to hold them off," Leeder says. "We need crowd control."

I e-mailed and asked what I could do to help a month or so ago, but never got a reply.

4. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It might not be the end for Portland, but this may be the first crack I have seen in their bid for some time...

http://www.24thminute.com/2009/03/trouble-brewing-in-pdx.html

To quote: "But, the news does give pause. Does MLS have a plan if Portland's stadium plan falls through? Most likely MLS would fall back to plan K (or something like that) and sit tight until Ottawa made a decision on its stadium."

5. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  6. ChrisB

ChrisB New Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So with all the rumours floating about that Vancouver is definitely in, and Portland talks breaking down, that has to mean Vancouver and St. Louis (I would think). And Portland and Ottawa in 2013? Or could they pull a curveball and give us three teams?

7. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Cyril leeder was talking on Team1200 this morning and he basically said that MLS will award a franchise to Ottawa if we get the stadium. Of course, may or may not mean anything, but assuming the stadium is approved, MLS know that if they don't give us a franchise, Council will revoke any conditional stadium agreement and go with Lansdowne, which will mean that they lose Melnyk for ever.

I think their approach will be that $40M in their hand is worth more than a possible future expansion fee from another city, particularly considering the state of the economy. Who knows what will happen if they open up another bidding process late this year. There may be no takers, unless things are starting to get better.

I would expect that if the stadium is approved, Ottawa will get a franchise for either 2011 or 2012.

8. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So, the rumours say that Vancouver gets their franchise announced tomorrow:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/03/17/sp-whitecaps-expansion.html

While we all know what rumours are worth where does this leave the Ottawa bid, if it is true? We are still more than a month away from the council decision on the stadium, and I haven't seen any evidence of pressure from Melnyk to move the date of that meeting, so I have to believe that Ottawa will not be out of the race in the next few days, even though most posters seem to believe they will be.

Will Vancouver get the franchise, even without a SSS? I can't see them awarding to Portland yet, without the last piece of the financing puzzle being complete. I hear rumours that the St Louis financing position is getting better, but it doesn't seem resolved yet, so I don't see them getting anything tomorrow. And of course Ottawa couldn't get anything more than a conditional franchise yet.

So my prediction for tomorrow... Vancouver will get the first franchise. Portland will get a conditional franchise for 2011. Ottawa and St Louis will be awarded conditional franchises for 2012.

Or something completely different.

9. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If there is still hope after today, here are the details on how you can get on the list to speak to Ottawa council on April 20:

Sent: Monday, March 16, 2009 9:00 AM
    To:
    Cc: Blais, Diane
    Subject: RE: Stadium Debate

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that the staff report on both proposals will be tabled at a joint meeting on April 6th. At which time, the report will be available on ottawa.ca. A second joint meeting is scheduled for Monday, April 20, 2009 to hear from public delegations. If you would like to address committee, you would have 5 minutes to do so. You can also submit written comments.

Please advise if you would like to speak to the matter on April 20 and whether you will be providing a written submission.

Regards,

ROBERT TREMBLAY
    Committee Coordinator
    Planning and Environment Committee

10. ChrisB

ChrisB New Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think there is still hope. As long as Melnyk has the money I think Ottawa will be in the next round IF we have a stadium. The MLS is not known for their rigidity! I could see Ottawa and St. Louis getting announced for 2012.

That being said.... When I was 11 years old, the Vancouver 86ers formed. I saw so many great Canadian players out at Swangard (Dale Mitchell, John Catliff, Paul Dolan, DOMINIC MOBILIO!, Pesch, Bunbury, Lenarduzzi, the extremely underrated Martin Nash, my here Sven Habermann). I used to take the bus there with my friends 10 times a season to see the Sixers when I was in high school, and then the Whitecaps later on. I was there during their 46 game unbeaten streak. So many great memories.

So, needless to say, I am pretty stoked that the Caps are entering the MLS. Now all we need is an Ottawa expansion team and another franchise to relocate to Montreal. And hen a Sportsnet TV deal showing every Canadian game, and finally... Canada in the World Cup!

11. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If you are going to dream, you might as well dream big. Why not Canada winning the World Cup :D

12. FandesRens

FandesRens New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's not big... Canada winning the World Cup THREE TIMES IN A ROW is big... :D

13. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  14. ChrisB

ChrisB New Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The Whitecaps are streaming it live too... Thinking about the party afterwards at the Shark Club has me back in dreaming mode, when we all gather at the Irish Village (chosen due to size and not any Downtown vs Kanata jibe) and celebrate our team.

Oh yeah, and David Edgar, David Hoilet and Amir Begovic leading Canada to the next World Cup.

15. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We can gather wherever you wnat to celebrate that, even Lansdowne (although that might be in slightly poor taste :))