The Final Countdown...

Discussion in 'Ottawa Fury FC' started by Ottawa MLS Fan, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fellow Ottawa soccer fans, we are entering the final phase of this round of MLS expansion and the outcome is still very much in doubt. We need to make sure that Ottawa City Council are in no doubt that about the level of support for soccer in Ottawa. Nothing gets politican's attention like the possibility of thousands of disgruntled voters.

The following is a quote from a Montreal Impact player after yesterday's game, played in front of over 55,000 people in Montreal. If you want MLS Soccer in Ottawa, make sure your councillors get the message that there is support for soccer in Ottawa as well.

"The support we had in the stands was unbelievable … everybody wants to make it seem like this is a hockey nation. This is not a hockey nation, this is a soccer nation," said midfielder Sandro Grande, who played a key role in the win.

Here are the e-mail addresses of council members. Use them to let council know how you feel. Make your voice heard:
    Georges.Bedard@ottawa.ca; Michel.Bellemare@ottawa.ca; Rainer.Bloess@ottawa.ca; Glenn.Brooks@ottawa.ca; Rick.Chiarelli@ottawa.ca; Alex.Cullen@ottawa.ca; Diane.Deans@ottawa.ca; Steve.Desroches@ottawa.ca; Clive.Doucet@ottawa.ca; Eli.El-Chantiry@ottawa.ca; Peggy.Feltmate@ottawa.ca; Jan.Harder@ottawa.ca; Diane.Holmes@ottawa.ca; Peter.Hume@ottawa.ca; Gord.Hunter@ottawa.ca; Rob.Jellett@ottawa.ca; Kitchissippi@ottawa.ca; Jacques.Legendre@ottawa.ca; Maria.Mcrae@ottawa.ca; Bob.Monette@ottawa.ca; Shad.Qadri@ottawa.ca; Doug.Thompson@ottawa.ca; Marianne.Wilkinson@ottawa.ca; Larry.OBrien@ottawa.ca

Also write to the Ottawa Citizen, the Ottawa Sun, Dalton McGuinty, Larry O'Brien's Blog, the Ottawa MLS Facebook group and anywhere else you can think of. We can still win this, but we need to show real support.

2. FandesRens

FandesRens New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    it won't hurt to send it... But you should know that councilors get hundreds of these, each arguing the merits of CFL football, MLS Soccer, non of the above, Lacrosse etc.etc.

So I think most of them will be glanced at and forgotten.

But like I said, it won't hurt to send it.

3. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed, but I have had a few questions back from Jan Harder, Bob Monette and Gord Hunter recently, as well as from Randall Denley and Richard Starnes of the Citizen, so they do read and question what is raised to them. I certainly wouldn't go as far as to say it would sway their opinion, but ...

The thing I most want to avoid is soccer fans assuming there is no point in voicing their opinions to councillors, and this being perceived as a lack of interest by any of them.

4. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck with the campaign, I hope its successful. I'm considering trying something similar with the Orlando USL bid.

5. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Appreciate the support, buddy. I don't think there is any one approach that works in things like this, it's a combination of things, but if you have a good bid from a solid ownership group, it's up to the public to back it up and show their support.

Good luck with the USL bid!

6. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  7. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The odds are certainly better, although Ives is saying Vancouver is the front-runner now. Having both slots awarded to Canadian teams, while probably a great idea, is unlikely to happen.

8. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree that two Canadian teams are probably unlikely, assuming that there are more than two teams left in the race at the end, but I would still put the Ottawa bid in front of Vancouver, only because of the SSS.

9. ChicagoFC (FireClub)

Jan 25, 2009
    Logan Square
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if you want to make an impression, you can always try to upstage the PDX rally with a larger one.

10. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It certainly couldn't hurt :)

11. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It would be good to demonstrate support for soccer to MLS and to Ottawa Council.

12. Coup de boule

Coup de boule Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Ottawa
    Do you know how cold it is here right now?

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caon0512

;)

13. FandesRens

FandesRens New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  14. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  15. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clarifying, it couldn't hurt the bid. The cold will hurt like hell, though ;)

16. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I am thinking more and more that this will either be an All-Canadian expansion or an All American one.

The biggest issue the Canadian teams have is convincing MLS that they add economic value (read sponsorship/marketing value) to the league. If you bring the total Canadian contingent to 3 you have a better chance to draw large, national, Canadian sponsorship deals that offset the fact that two more Canadian teams do little to the value of the US deals.

So, if Vancouver really is the clear front runner....then I think that is good for Ottawa.

17. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  18. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The biggest thing hurting Ottawa right now is the lack of government support for the stadium (as of now). Obviously, MLS doesn't like to take chances. If they did, St. Louis would have had a franchise years ago.

19. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If MLS really like the Ottawa bid as much as they are saying, but they can't wait for the council decision, maybe they will award Ottawa a conditional franchise for 2012. At least that would put the Melnyk bid on an equal footing with the CFL in discussions with council.

20. KLR650

KLR650 Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Halifax, NS
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Why would MLS want to grant a conditional franchise?

If St. Louis, Vancouver or Portland get a franchise, MLS cashes $40 million cheques. Now if Melnyk is willing to give MLS a $40 million non-refundable deposit for an Ottawa team, I'm sure they'd be happy to oblige.

Ottawa does not have a SSS, a finalized location for a SSS, blueprints for a SSS or funding for an SSS. Melnyk has a nice artist's rendering for a SSS. Ottawa can't even use Lansdowne unless the lower stands are rebuilt.

St. Louis does not have a SSS either, but everything else is lined up. That's a huge difference.

Vancouver does not have a SSS. But Kerfoot owns some land, and will finance the stadium by himself. You've got to say that Vancouver is farther along the SSS path than Ottawa. And at least Vancouver has a temporary/permanent home at BC Place.

21. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sorry, my point was that Portland and Vancouver (or whoever) would get franchises awarded for 2011, but if MLS wanted to support Ottawa in their battle with the CFL, they could chose to even their footing with the CFL by awarding a conditional franchise for a future round. I wasn't suggesting that they would award a conditional franchise for 2011.

22. FandesRens

FandesRens New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Le'ts not give up on this one. After all, there were supposed to be 9 bids for MLS to consider, three of them (Montreal, New York, Miami) were considered locks. Only seven bids materialized (no Phoenix, no New York). Then Montreal was pulled (another less lock), Atlanta bailed out, now Miami (who was a definite lock) also withdrew....

There are four bids currently and nothing is definite until MLS says so. I still think there is a chance we see Ottawa (and perhaps St.Louis) win this out. Neither Portland or Vancouver have SSS garantees at the moment.

MLS could also pull a trick up it's sleeve... And announce Vancouver and Portland as expansion in 2011, and St.Louis and Ottawa as *conditional* expansions in 2012/2013 *IF* their stadium situation is resolved.

We can still win this.

23. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Except that St. Louis's stadium is already approved (with funding) pending the granting of a team. So making StL wait a year will do nothing for their bid. If it is true what we hear that Garber&Co. are not fully enthralled with the ownership group....then it is what it is and they should tell them that and move on....granting them a conditional franchise does nothing, really.

That said, I am still of the belief that it will, either, be an all-Canadian or all-American expansion. Sadly, I think it will be all-Canadian.

24. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My biggest concern is still Ottawa council not voting on the issue until April 22. I just can't see MLS waiting until then for their 2011 decision, unless Melnyk has some magic up his sleeve.

25. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

The only reason they would not wait is if there were two bids/offers which MLS deemed "perfect enough".....that does not seem to be the case as someone (MLS) has managed to find fault in all of the bids and is, therefore, reluctant to commit to any of them.