NSR: The FCB forum 2008 Olympics Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Barcelona NSR' started by jfcule, Aug 8, 2008.

1. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    If you see the video, you can see that he ran the first 100 m in about 9.8 seconds...which would mean he ran the second 100 in about 9.5 seconds :eek:

I took this screencap of when he reaches the 100 m mark.(Don't click on it, it's not the video!:D)
    [​IMG]

2. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Damn, Youtube took the video down :mad:

3. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    LMAO that was fast! I still have it open on my browser!
    The guys at youtube are probably faster than Bolt! :D

4. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Watch it before they take it down!

[youtube]<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/073qt1KJMjM&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/073qt1KJMjM&hl=en&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>[/youtube]

(Sorry, no sound)

5. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  6. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It doesn't work...

EDIT: it works now :eek:

7. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that is dusting people. I know it's cynical to ask, but are we sure he's not doping? I mean, he KILLED the competition.

There's some polls on espn.com comparing Bolt and Phelps... I love Phelps, but a case can be made that Bolt's accomplishments are more impressive. We just witnessed one man beat the 100 and the 200 and set world records and destroy the competition. That has to be the best performance ever. I mean, setting the 100 alone means being the fastest man alive, which is like being the Heavyweight Champion of the World, or the single season Home Run King. Those are the big ones, at least in most American sports views.

I'm babbling. THAT WAS AMAZING!!!

ETA: It worked for me! I must have just got in there. LOL, maybe I'm the fastest man on the youtubes.

8. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You kinda reminded me of Bob Costas right there :D

I agree with what you said earlier...it's just very hard to believe someone can be so much better than all his competitors like that. I guess I'm just a bit cynical by nature.

Hendrix, try my non-youtube one again. It worked for me right now.

9. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL
    "On a slightly hazy night in Beijing... one man, determined to make it his night, put his name right up there with Babe Ruth and Satchel Paige."

Costas makes me sick, but you know what they say. The personality traits that drive you nuts in other people are the same personality traits you don't like about yourself.

I think I'm babbling again.

10. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I still give it to Phelps just because of how many races he swam (17 I believe), how many events he swam (8, five individual, three relays), the time-frame in which he did it (8 days, swimming two world record finals in one night, less than an hour apart), the manner in which he did it (blow-outs to unbelievable, come-from-behind, seemingly impossible, clutch victories), the competition (his competition was a lot fiercer than Bolt's) and the historical significance (8-8, most gold medals in a single games, most career gold medals).

11. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That's the part that makes me say Phelps. Bolt had more time to recover between races than Phelps.

12. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still gotta give it to Phelps, as what he did was not only unprecedented, but gave him more gold medals than anyone in Olympics history.

Usain Bolt has been unbelievable though, and I totally agree that being "the worlds fastest man" carries way more cache than any swimming feat aside from winning 9 golds.

13. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I give it to Bolt.
    The manner in which he won the 100m, the way he eased up towards the end yet still broke the world mark, was amazing in itself.
    I don't think people realize what Bolt has done in the 200m. It was believed that when Michael Johnson did his 19.32 in Atlanta '96 it would last at least as long as Bob Beamon's 1968 long jump record, which lasted until 1991 (23 years) and is still the second longest jump 40 years later. The question now is which record will last longer: Bolt's 200m or Mike Powell's long jump.

Add to that the number of times swimming world records have been dropping like flies this year since those new swimsuits have been out and it was almost expected that Phelps would break some records.
    Will any of Phelps records last as long as Bolt's or Powell's? Not at the pace that they're all being broken.

14. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you could bring up the argument about relays being team medals, not individual competitions. Or that any race besides the freestyle isn't a race for "the fastest swimmer at that distance." (Here's an idea: let's make them run the 100-yard dash, except everyone has to do it with their arms crossed.) But still, fair point about the amount of work Phelps put in, 17 races in 8 days! and that does indeed tip it. USA! USA!

15. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Would love to see him attempt a go at 400m someday.

EDIT:
    Wikipedia has him running a personal best of 45.28s in the 400m last year in Kingston.
    Michael Johnson has the world record at 43.18s set in 1999.
    I'd still like to see him give it a try. :D

16. manyfaces

manyfaces Member

Feb 4, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll go with Phelps. It's not just the 8 golds this Olympics, it's the fact that he successfully defended all 4 of his individual golds from 4 years ago.

Regarding doping, Bolt beat the 200m record by .02 seconds. If we don't think Johnson was doping, why would we think Bolt is.

And FWIW, I think that the worlds fastest man is the winner of the marathon and I've always like Costas.

17. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um... I wouldn't doubt it at all if accusations surfaced regarding Johnson. To be honest, I kind of suspect all the runners of doping. I know it's not fair, but I think it's just the state of the game. Not all sports are equal, and just as I'm way more likely to think that a Baseball or Football player is doping than I would a basketball player, I generally suspect runners more than swimmers. I might be fooling myself in both regards, but what can I say?

For what it's worth, I generally suspect American athletes more than non-American athletes. :)

18. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Did anyone see the Cuban tae kwon do athlete who kicked the judge after he disqualified him and cost him the bronze medal? They banned him for life.

19. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    USA wins the men's basketball gold medal.

[​IMG]

20. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It was never in doubt.

21. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    After the three pointer that made it (IIRC)89-91, even the US players had some doubts.

22. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Didn't watch the game but after seeing Spain get crushed by the US while back I didn't give them a snowballs chance in hell. :D

23. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spain was down two with eight minutes left. Don't tell me there wasn't "any doubt." But then Kobe made the dagger of silence three.

It's exactly what I was hoping for: the USA to win, but not for it to be easy. I think every USA basketball fan now knows that all it takes is one bad shooting day and one red hot opponent and we can get dumped out of a tourney real quick but if we prepare to win, we'll come out on top.

24. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Default Re: The FCB forum 2008 Olympics Discussion Thread.

Admittedly, I was getting a little anxious after Spain cut the lead to 2 points but in the back of my mind, I couldn't comprehend the possibility of this team losing. Spain played the best they could have possibly hoped for...and still lost.

Respect for Spain though, they played with balls (literally :p) and heart. There's no shame in losing to the greatest assemblage of basketball talent in the world. They are a worthy #2 in the basketball world :cool:

25. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. I mean, even when it was a two point game, I never had any doubt that we were going to win. None.

That said, I couldn't be happier with the game. Neither team played a lick of defense, but at least they executed on offense and made it an entertaining game. Rudy Fernandez looked great last night, as did Marc Gasol, and I can't wait to see those guys in the NBA. Same with Ricky Rubio, who I was most looking forward to watching in the game. I've been a big fan of his for a while now, and it was great to see him getting crunch time minutes against the U.S. in the gold medal match when he is still essentially a senior in high school.

It was honestly one of the most entertaining games I've seen in years.

Also, I realized about 3/4 of the way through the game, why I was loving olympics basketball so much. I knew it had to do with the flow of the game, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Then it hit me: way fewer commercial breaks. Having fewer pauses in gameplay improves not only the viewing experience, but also the game itself. That is something I wish would come to the NBA. Two time-outs a half, subs allowed at all dead-ball situations. I guarantee that alone would hugely improve the the quality of the NBA.