NSR: The FCB forum 2008 Olympics Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Barcelona NSR' started by jfcule, Aug 8, 2008.

1. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    OK, post all NSR Olympics related stuff here now. I know the dates don't match up, but that's I because moved most existing Olympic NSR stuff here.

2. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Phelps + competitive swimming = Real Madrid sucks?

Not a bad conclusion :p

3. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Re: The Other Teams Discussion Thread: [R] All leagues, sports and competitions

Michael Phelps is now 6 for 6.

200m individual medley gold + world record

He's now equalled his 2004 Olympic gold tally (6)

4. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island

does that mean madrid sucks even more?:confused:

5. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Must be nice these days to be some other male swimmer than Phelps - no one cares about you no matter how good you are.

I would go so far as saying that Real Madrid would suck not depending on how fast someone swims in a chinese pool.

6. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sure, but it certainly doesn't help...

7. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Michael Phelps is making Real Madrid look really bad :cool:

8. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL

The LPB always look bad. ;)

9. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The 2008 Olympics Thread.

His 7th event (tonight) will most likely be his toughest; the 100m Butterfly against world record holder Ian Crocker. Crocker set the world record a few years ago but has lost to Phelps in their last few races. Crocker's advantage is that the butterfly is his specialty and he can completely focus on it. Phelps' advantage is his drive and superior mental toughness, his better recent results over Crocker, and the fact that he's the reigning gold medalist in this event. I think Phelps will win but I don't know if he'll set a new world record (he never has in this event).

His 8th and final event is the 4 x 100m medley relay tomorrow night.

If Phelps can hold off Crocker tonight, 8 gold medals are virtually a lock.

10. USCule

USCule Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA

he's got the 100m Fly and the Relay.

He and the Americans are practically a lock for both competitions. His harder competitions are behind him.

The experts say that the only thing that can stop him at this point is a disqualification.

All we have to do now is sit back and enjoy history. You can tell your grandkids that you were 'there' (and by there I mean sitting on your couch eating Cheetos) to see the greatest Olympian in history pimp slap the world.

11. PARAdoxx

PARAdoxx New Member

Mar 1, 2007

Your sig - [censored]***[/censored]:eek:. Don't jinx da man.

12. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Fixed it :eek:

Nice catch. I didn't even notice it.

13. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

7 For 7

Move over Spitz

14. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

He won by .01 seconds :eek: (finger-nail lengths distance)

Most clutch finish in professional swimming history.

He set the new Olympic record...no world record.

15. Barca106

Barca106 Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Connecticut, US

that was UNBELIEVABLE!! what a finish

16. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

I hear the Serbians are filing a protest for the race...they want Phelps to share the gold with Cavic. :rolleyes:

No source :eek:

17. Barca106

Barca106 Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Connecticut, US

i would be so pissed if i was that guy who lost. PHELPS IS THE BESTTTTT

18. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Serbian challenge officially denied (NBC reported on TV).

Classless by Cavic's coach imo. Suck it up.

19. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Cavic 'should' have won...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    If that wasn't the most clutch finish in Olympic (if not professional) swimming history, I don't know what is.

(Sorry for the misspelled "Felps", I didn't make those pics :eek:)

20. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Phelps is the farthest over.

[​IMG]

:eek::eek:

21. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

In other news, Usain Bolt is the fastest man on Earth...again. The Jamaican sprinter finished the 100m sprint in 9.69 seconds winning the gold medal in a blow-out and beating out his previous record of 9.72. He even started celebrating 20m from the end :eek:

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/trackandfield/news/story?id=3538279

22. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

And the IAAF listed the wind speed at 0.0m/s. That is just sick.

Okay Hendrix, I've always been a Mark Spitz fan because of what he accomplished (I was only 6 at the time but I very much remember the hoopla surrounding what he did). So although your boy Phelps is on the verge of winning his eighth gold medal, I equate Spitz's record to that of the 1972 Miami Dolphins: The record can't necessarily be broken, only equalled because he won every event he competed in. :p
    And don't forget that Spitz, who retired from competative swimming after the Munich Games at age 22, attempted to make the U.S. team 20 years later, and although he just barely missed out, he actually bettered some of the times he won with at Munich. A clear indication of just how far the training methods for the sport had gone. ;)
    Not taking anything away from Phelps, of course. Both Spitz and Phelps could only beat the competition they had in front of them, and they both got the job done.

Link to NBC interview with Bob Costas, Michael Phelps and Mark Spitz.

23. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

I have to agree with Ron on this. Spitz won 7 for 7, but if he had a chance to compete in 8, he would've probably won 8. Also, he won with a regular swimsuit, no cap and a moustache! All I'm saying is it's a completely different sport now. There's no need and no way to compare the two. You can only compare each athlete to his/hers contemporaries.

I saw that interview last night. I didn't like Phelps's attitude. Don't get me wrong, Phelps appears to be a humble guy. But if you're talking to a legend in your sport, and you're about to surpass his acomplishments, you have to give the man his due. Spitz was praising Phelps and encouraging him all through the interview, saying how closely he's followed his career, how he's celebrated Phelp's triumphs, etc. Phelps should've then said something along the lines of "well, Spitz, you're an inspiration, a role model, etc" , but instead he hardly aknowledged Spitz, talking more about how he(Phelps) had worked hard for his dream. I know it's a bad comparison, but I really loved how 'roid driven Mark McGuire acknowledged Roger Maris, and brought Maris back into the spotlight.

24. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Let's leave it at this:

Mark Spitz is the 1972 Miami Dolphins.

Michael Phelps (assuming he goes 8 for 8) is the 2008 New England Patriots (had they won the SB :p)

Football analogies...LOL :D

25. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

You're making too big of a deal about it. Phelps' isn't exactly an eloquent person in the first place (just listen to him or watch interviews). Plus, he himself said he was at a "loss for words" after Spitz's praise.