The FC Dallas Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ielag, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know when Collin Smith moved to the Dallas area from Jacksonville?

2. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Not exactly but a long time ago. I recall seeing him play very young for Solar Farley back in the day in U11 Classic League.

Balerion repped this.
  3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ussoccer97531 and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  4. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018

I have never seen this kid play until that game and for the amount of hype I didn't see it yet. Of course it's one game, he is only 15 and it really means nothing but the hype had me expecting more. I can see he is really big for his age and wonder how much of his progression is based simply upon being the biggest kids on the field as he has grown up.

5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    You're first comment should have been a huge hint to not post.
    Anyone who knows about soccer development knows he's a very good prospect, stop using a cliché argument. He moved up to play this game because he's 15 because you can't play tiny players against grown men. He's far from a slam dunk prospect but he's tidy, reads game well, and often the best player on the field for U17 Dallas at the age of 15!!!

Agent_Orange repped this.
  6. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Are you his agent? This is what happens on this board. (Ever seen the Andrew Carlton thread?)

People give opinions on players. Mine was limited to the only game I saw him play and made that clear. I don't think anyone on here knows the first foggiest thing about player development or identifying talent as far as I can tell. It's all just a bunch of folks that watch kids soccer making guesses and comments.

Its not a cliché to say he is bigger than most kids his age, just a fact. The hype train is off and running and time will tell.

onefineesq repped this.
  7. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I think some of us on here know player development more than others. On one game where a 15 yr old gets 30 minutes. He literally didn't do anything to make any judgement about his long term development. No judgement at all. All I know, really know from watching many of his youth games is that he is a really good prospect and a top player against his peers. I agree, no one knows where it will end up but for now he should be encouraged and recognized for what kind of player he is rather than derided for the player he hasn't become.

8. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    It's very late and I've had a long day. Funny enough, I've got an early morning meeting at a club, where this kid is one we are to discuss. Since it is late, I will save everyone a long winded post.

Everyone needs to get ready to hear this negative opinion about this kid, because most American fans need to see some flash to rate a player. There is a sophistication to his game that just isn't recognizable to the average US fan. You will get very little flash from Cochoran outside of some of his assisting and goals and free kicks. What you will get is what has European clubs already excited. You will get a player that can dictate entire matches and one that will make very few mistakes.

A good analogy around him was a Technical Director comparing him to Tom Brady. You will only rarely get 400+ yard passing games and you aren't going to see many highlight reel running plays. What you will get is a player who hands to ball off when needed, throws for 300 yards, two touchdowns and most likely a victory.

David Kerr, Balerion and twoolley repped this.
  9. abcdefghi

abcdefghi Member

Real Madrid
    Trinidad and Tobago
    May 31, 2018
    One huge issue on this forum is that you get a couple posters who make repeated posts about a player, and often like in this case, one of those posters is a family member. A couple other posters start repeating that opinion whether or not it’s based on their own opinion or just read it enough to believe it to be true. Others read all those comments and accept their opinions as fact, and soon enough a player is collectively thought of as something they may or may not be. I don’t think anyone would argue he’s not a solid player who is likely to have a professional career. Whether that is usl or epl is to be seen. First touch, technical skills, decision making, and speed are not high level enough to be the slam dunk some think he will be, but they are good enough that he could be. I don’t think proclaiming he is a can’t miss Champions league level player at 15 does him any good though.

butters59 repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  11. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    For a player who only just turned/turning 15 he seemed very composed on the ball and made good decisions. I think Ft Lauderdale also plays alot of youth so it would be interesting to see how he plays against the more pro squads in USL.

13. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    I agree. From the clips I've seen this player has great explosiveness with the ball and is a decent finisher. He'd make a great RW for them imo. It seems like FCD is trying pigeonhole players with certain profiles into fullback.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #1864 Clint Eastwood, Apr 29, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    Well.....................if by pigeonhole you mean set up those players for big money, life/career-altering moves to Europe and future USMNT involvement. Then yes. Folks can go ahead and blame FCD for that. Seriously, are we criticizing FCD for converting Bryan Reynolds to a right back after his move to frickin' Roma? Really? Collin Smith should be so lucky. We see the trend in European football of using more athletic/explosive players in right wingback/fullback roles.

Worth noting that Luchi has been playing a lot of 3-4-3 and 3-5-2 formations. A player like Collin Smith might fit better into that than a player like..............John Nelson.

twoolley, USSoccerNova and gogorath repped this.
  15. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Yep.

Fullback is now an offensive position. And if you are explosive with some offensive skills, but not someone with absolutely incredible dribbling/one on one skills, your upside in terms of level (and therefore pay) is almost certainly higher at fullback than winger.

I haven't seen him more than those highlights, but this move looks totally reasonable.

twoolley and USSoccerNova repped this.
  16. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    Reynolds has been great for FCD finances... but he's definitely still a work in progress according to Roma fans. But I agree when it comes to modern tactics. Davies is the best example I can think of rn.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #1867 ussoccer97531, Apr 29, 2021
    That’s a highlight video of what he’s done over the course of about three seasons. He has weak technique, and very little/no creativity. He’s not a particularly prolific goal scorer either. He’s not going to be creating many attacking chances or scoring that many of them either. He’s a good athlete that makes good decisions with the ball and he has a good work ethic. I see no problem with moving him to the back line. It maximizes his ceiling. As an attacker his ceiling is something around the level and playing style of Teal Bunbury.

TxEx, butters59, twoolley and 2 others repped this.
  18. Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Nov 17, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1868 Agent_Orange, Apr 29, 2021
    I wonder if they're using his height from last season with NTX? Smith looked noticeably taller in the FTL game than I remembered. Agree that 6'0"ish feels closer to the truth.

Two things I take from this video. (1) Chris Hayden praising him for "adapting" - almost exactly word-for-word what he's said about Jesus Ferreira in the past. Related to FCD's policy of pushing kids to levels beyond their comfort zone. (2) There are some *very* large looking male family members in the background of some of these shots. He might still have a ways to grow.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think we also have to get over the notion that moving a young player to fullback/wingback is some sort of insult. As if we're moving kids there because organizations feel they're "not good enough" to play in more advanced positions. Its nothing of the kind. Its not some sort of demotion to a lesser position.

.....................also worth noting that this right back discussion kicked off due to a tweet. The kid literally played centerback recently. Who knows how this will go?

Organizations move players around. Its weird. Bayern Munich plays Chris Richards at RB and LB, and people view it as the club finding a way to get a young player an opportunity on the field. An MLS club does the same thing and its "HOW DARE THEY!!?"

Hindsight being 20/20 we can often look at positional moves and ask if it was the right thing. Was Kellyn Acosta better off being moved from fullback to central midfield? Might he have had a Euro ceiling as a fullback? We'll never know. What I do know is that Kellyn viewed HIMSELF as a central midfielder. Maybe this move to wingback/fullback is one that Collin has completely bought in on.

TarHeels17 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winger and center mid are just where the best players/dribblers typically play, but our nation struggles to produce players that are technically up to par with players from better footballing countries. I think it makes sense that we just crank out fullbacks since we'll have more players that are athletic than great at close control. We still really haven't produced a dribbler who stayed in MLS, which saddens me, but it makes sense.

As for Smith, I see the CB thing. He's imposing physically. I'm actually surprised they haven't played him at DM given his frame and ability to drive forward with the ball. I think there's potential there, and it would also help tremendously with development at both CB and RB.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I agree. I won't make any conclusion about his first professional game at 15, but that quick little nice play along the sideline was money. He's moving toward the ball and is pressured near the sideline , most 15 yr olds vs older players would panic, he set his body up at an angle so he could take quick touch then quickly push it up the line to his wide forward who also was in front of his man and able to maintain possession. I said, nice little quick decision play for the kid. Did have a really bad touch near his own box but alot of just good quick decisions in context makes him a good prospect. Could be a Toni Kroos or could be a Chris Durkin, we'll see.

22. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Tell me what you thought of Tyler Adams or Weston McKennie at 15?

23. abcdefghi

abcdefghi Member

Real Madrid
    Trinidad and Tobago
    May 31, 2018
    Not really clear at all how that relates to my post. I certainly wouldn’t have declared them can’t miss champions league level prospects. Just like I wouldn’t declare any other 15 yr old that. What I can tell you is when you have a family member continually promoting their kid without declaring they are such it changes the dialogue. And it doesn’t do the kid any favors.

Agent_Orange repped this.
  24. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    What are you talking about?

25. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you look at the FC Dallas u15 team he really isn’t big for his age compared to his peers. But his technical and tactical qualities far exceed all of the Dallas 04-06’s. How he behaves off the field and his work rate to improve his game will indicate a lot in the next 2-3 years but as a prospect he checks all the boxes of an extremely high potential player. We’ll see what happens with him