The FC Dallas Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ielag, Feb 7, 2020.

1. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is a Vaquero?

2. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A cowboy.

3. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018

The Fort Worth Vaqueros are a semi pro team in the metroplex that I think plays in the summers. Lots of college kids fill out these teams. Nicky Hernandez who just signed with FCD played on the Denton Diablos, another team in this league while he was at SMU. I think there are four or five teams in the league.

I heard a rumor Dallas Texans is starting some type of semi pro or higher level U19 team for their players as well. Perhaps they may start a pro pathway. Seems like USL C teams and below are popping up everywhere.

Mahtzo1 and SUDano repped this.
  4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Dallas looks like a semi pro team today.

Pl@ymaker and bballshawn repped this.
  5. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    #1805 ielag, Apr 24, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    Jara has to have some blackmail stuff on Dan Hunt.

And I wouldn't even give TAM money to Bryan Acosta, let alone make him a DP.

kba4life1, Pegasus, gogorath and 4 others repped this.
  6. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    It wasn't their best game and Luchi will get rightly criticized for it. Their finishing was atrocious.

Pegasus repped this.
  7. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'm pretty much done with Jara and Acosta. Ricarte has something to him and I think O'Brian and Vargas just need to score and they'll start to look better but imo, ditch the 3 at the back, add a damn midfielder that's not Acosta, start Pepi and then let's see what they've got but holy crap were they swiss cheese today.

Pegasus, gogorath and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  8. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1808 David Kerr, Apr 24, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    2006 Matthew Corcoran on the NTSC bench. This kid is different

xbhaskarx, gogorath and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The back three formation is bad for the young Americans at Dallas. Today, Tessmann started and he was replaced by Pomykal, whose game is wasted as a double 6. Next game I’d like to see Pomykal as the 10, Tessmann as the 8, and Pepi as the 9. With Ferreira injured, the lack of a two striker formation isn’t a problem yet.

TarHeels17, gogorath and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Roman Torres (‘02) who plays for one of FC Dallas affiliate youth teams was on the bench and debuted at the end of the game for NTSC.

TxEx and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The formation changed fairly quickly once Pomykal entered. They ended with pretyy close to my ideal formation and personell. 4-3-3 with Ricuarte and Pomykal as dual 8/10's with Acosta as a 6. Pepi up top. Munjoma was at left back but he's probably better at right back and I don't know why they didn't switch him and Hollingshead. After all the talk of how good Cerillo looked in pre-season Luchi has backed up that talk with no minutes for the guy and changed the formation because he thinks so much of his pre-season. Someone on twitter called Obrian the Colombian Werner. Until he starts scoring that nickname will stick. Vargas has been fairly invisible so far. Are they really better than Sealy, ElMedkhar and Redzic? I know they looked good in pre-season but Hollingshead led the team in pre-season scoring his rookie year and has never gotten big minutes at wing or forward. Pre-season is often a big mirage.

ussoccer97531 and kba4life1 repped this.
  12. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Franco Jara -- 6 np goals in > 1,500 minutes.
    Ricardo Pepi -- 3 np goals in < 500 minutes.

One is a strong presser, is young and rapidly improving, and with that improvement, could yield a massive amount of transfer revenue.

The other has minimal defensive impact, is slow and holds back the counter, and is not going to improve at this point in their career.

Can't wait til Pepi outscores Jara over the season only getting 20 minute runouts.

13. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Speaking of Pomykal he looked fine physically, but not even close to in form Pomykal. Not much passing,
    but plenty of tackling, kind of hard nosed defensive mid.

14. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just watched Corcoran for the first time in the NTXSC game - I'm curious, why exactly do people think he's such a fantastic prospect? From what I was watching, there wasn't anything that absolutely popped off the page. He looked solid as a 15 year old, so I'm not saying that I think he's not good or anything like that, but I'm more curious why people choose him as the prospect they see not just being a very good player but being a great player.

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    FC Dallas needs to adopt the Philadelphia Union approach. Their foreign signings almost never work. Union are getting good usage out of Fontana, who no one rated until last season. Flach was struggling to get on the field for a 2.Bundesliga side. Aaronson and McKenzie were not highly rated before they were developed into better players, and sold to Europe.

Develop these kids, and they’ll get better results. How many young Americans that get regular playing time have ever been really bad? Very few because MLS is not that good of a league. It’s not very hard for these young kids to be better than very average players. If they can’t be, we aren’t going to get very far with developing good players. Once these young kids are ready for MLS minutes, they almost all succeed.

16. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Philly signs foreign talent. The difference is that they so far either hit on them (Monteiro, El Brujo, however you spell "SHUHBILKO") or they bench them -- like Marco Fabian.

Dallas would have started Fabian all season over Aaronson because they owner had a hard on for him back when he was good.

xbhaskarx, eliwood, Pegasus and 4 others repped this.
  17. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    - Extremely high soccer IQ
    - Great first touch
    - great field vision
    - great passing range
    - good at cutting past defenders with the ball
    - calm under pressure
    - excellent free kick taker
    - quick lateral movement
    - leader

He needs to be more aggressive in his tackles but outside of that he’s the perfect 6 prospect. There is a very good reason that out of all the talents Dallas have in their 05/06’s that he’s the only one that was in the squad last night

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You are missing the point. Every team signs foreign players, and nearly every team signs young American players. Not every team manages to play their young American players. Philly would’ve found minutes for Aaronson, even if Fabian played regularly. FC Dallas needs to make sure developing and then selling on young American players is their identity. That means players like Pomykal, Pepi, Tessmann, Ferreira must be big parts of their team. It shouldn’t be that they will be if the foreign signings struggle. They have that backwards. You sign the foreign players to supplement the young American players.

xbhaskarx, TarHeels17 and kba4life1 repped this.
  19. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    You were watching his first ever pro match, and he just turned 15. He was probably nervous as hell...and he just turned f’n 15!

At the same age, he absolutely destroys McKennie and Pomykal. Development is never linear but his floor is easily mid table EPL. His ceiling is running the MF for a Champions League winner,

xbhaskarx repped this.
  20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Dallas played the same number of youngsters as Philly. They both started one thread-eligible player (Tessmann and Flach), and brought one off the bench (Pepi and McGlynn). I think I have that right.....................

By the way, the new GM has only used the two methods of player acquisition this season. There is no player on FCD's roster right now that had played previously for another MLS club. In the twitterverse there's talk about how unusual that is these days. Its their own homegrown players, their own drafted players, and foreign signings. That's it. The closest is ElMedkhar, whose HG rights they traded for.

The roster that the GM of FCD has provided to Luchi Gonzalez is a nice combination of young Americans, core American veterans (Hedges/Hollingshead) and foreign signings. FCD has a fine number of foreign players. I don't blame Zanotta for this. They're not overwhelmed with foreign players. Their gap this off-season was on the wing, and they supplemented their roster with foreign wingers (three of them actually, the Hungarian guy hasn't played yet). That's fine, because one can question whether the homegrown options there like Sealy and Redzic are ready for a week-in, week-out starting role. Vargas is just there on loan. This is on Luchi Gonzalez. I don't really get what he's doing from a tactical point of view or with the squad rotation. I don't understand the 3-4-3. Last year he experimented with other formations as well.

What I'm trying to say is folks need to stop blaming Dan Hunt and Andre Zanotta. The roster is fine. The roster is good enough. There's no evidence that the issue is Dan Hunt of Andre Zanotta telling Luchi he has to play the foreign guys. Not from where I sit anyway. The problem is we're being outcoached on a weekly basis now. Squad selection isn't making sense. Tactics aren't making sense. I see him as a relatively young coach, who's really outsmarting himself. I don't think Luchi's seat is getting hot yet......................but they do have Eric Quill waiting in the wings.

I'm actually not entirely convinced at this point that the problem IS Jara, for instance. Are we putting him in a position to succeed? I'm not totally convinced. Who in that formation is getting the ball to Jara? There's no playmaker in the middle if the central midfield combo is Acosta/Tessmann, and no crossers of the ball. The best crosser of the ball last season was Reynolds. So how is Jara scoring goals? He's like Cobra; he's not going to create much for himself.

I mean, people are arguing for Pepi over Jara. Fine. I'm fine with that. But just put Pepi in that formation with those players, how is he scoring? There's no playmaker to get him the ball. His goal yesterday was a rebound that I could have scored. Let's not act like that goal is a sign that he should start over Jara. If people want him to, that's fine. I'm totally on board with starting Pepi. I'm just not convinced results are any different with him.

What the whole team needs at this point is Pomykal. As I've said before, he was the "straw that stirred the drink" two years ago. He was the "difference maker" in that free 8 role in the first half of 2019. Ever since then, this team has been struggling along.

xbhaskarx and don Lamb repped this.
  21. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i mean saying you havent replaced pomykal after two years despite knowing his injury history and if healthy likelihood of transferring isnt the biggest vote of confidence in how a team is assembled? wasnt that what ricuarte was supposed to do?

xbhaskarx and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    What about the first week? You can say it this week, but not last week. I expect Fontana to start regularly, and Tessmann wasn't a starter in week one. I think this was squad rotation for both teams. Do you disagree?

I think you are completely missing my point, or maybe you are just disagreeing with it, but I think the problem is the identity of what they are trying to do. You can blame the coach, but I don't look at that lineup as overly talented. I don't see it as the players underperforming. Who are the difference makers? Ricuarte? Jara? What have either shown to say they are top level foreign DP signings? I'm not opposed to foreign signings entirely. All teams in all leagues do that, but a team like Philadelphia Union didn't go out and sign another full roster to replace the playing time of the young Americans they have on their roster.

Dallas needs to find a way to rid themselves of Ricuarte, Acosta, and Jara, or just not play them as much because they should not be starting over Tessmann, Pomykal, and Pepi any longer. FC Dallas needs to play these kids from the start every week, otherwise they will waste them away, and eventually get nothing or very little for them. You only have so much time to capitalize on the value of your young academy players. If the foreign signings make a big difference, thats one thing. They've shown they cannot. I'm not even talking about the new winger signings. I'm talking about Acosta, Ricuarte, and Jara.

I also am not absolving the coach. I've said many times I don't think Luchi Gonzalez is a good coach, but I don't see that as the larger issue. I think it's a given that Dallas will be getting average or worse coaching. My problem is with the philosophy of the club, and I don't think thats coming from the guy who was a former academy coach at the club, and has coached many of these academy kids in younger age groups.

23. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Has Jara shown you anything that says that he's going to be an above average MLS CF? I don't think so, regardless of service. There's not Chicharito-like resurrection pending here.
    Luchi is the immediate problem, unless the lineup is being forced, which I wouldn't put past Hunt. But it's Luchi that likes to put out 5-6 defensive players and then hope that someone scores on their own.

Service and the such matters to a striker, but you can see that Jara simply isn't anything more than a mediocre MLS striker. There's nothing that makes him special, and he, along with someone like Acosta, are killing Dallas' ability to play the type of game that made them good two years ago.

You can't have two of your DPs be net drags. That's not on Luchi, but playing them is.

I like Ricuarte, though this isn't "his team" (or if it is, Dallas is in trouble) and Obrian would be fine if he was not the team's focal point. Vargas is already replacement level. These is a middle of the road track record, but nothing special.

Zanotta may end up being good but so far he reads like a lot of foreign GMs that come to the US with little respect for the league -- he grabs a bunch of guys he knew and assumes that the league is too weak for them. Not everyone is Ernst Tanner, who nailed his picks, but Zanotta right now feels more Jessie Fioranelli.

Honestly, I'd just don't understand why Pepi -- who has outplayed Jara -- can't get a start or two at striker. Jara and Acosta seem to have lock starter status, but I've seen nothing from their performance that tells me they shouldn't be simply part of the rotation.

xbhaskarx and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  24. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ricuarte is a pretty good player so I don't think its a problem for him to play. I don't think would be starting Jara but he does have a track record of scoring. Seems more of an issue of chance creation than anything.

The thing I am most curious about is the constant chatter that Dan Hunt is pushing for certain players to be signed and played. I don't follow FC Dallas super close but I am curious where this comes from? Has he said something in the press or has a local reporter picked that up? It certainly seems to come up in conversation so I am just curious

25. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Hunt had a several year love affair with Jara, trying to sign him away from Pachuca. I think that's pretty well known, and the assumption is there is after he finally paid $5M for his white whale, he better play.

If there's more than Jara, I don't know it.