The FC Dallas Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ielag, Feb 7, 2020.

1. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of Carrera, why hasn't he signed yet? Holding out for Europe, or is FCD lukewarm about him? Seemed like a good prospect from what I saw w/ the US u-17's.

2. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Every indication is he has left the club.

3. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    right on cue...

1237499871822839811 is not a valid tweet id

I hope he doesn't wind up there or college. Don't understand why he'd want to leave FCD given their hospitable culture. Don't see confirmation he has. Hopefully he ends up back with ol' reliable after a little flirtation.

4. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    I don’t think he will end up back in Dallas, but I guess one never knows.

5. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a CB would lock him into Dallas till his late 20’s as it would take him longer to break into the first team than other players. Leaving for Europe is then correct move for him.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is there a cap on salaries for the league NTSC is in? If so MLS needs to get rid of any limits on HG signings to the full team. Players are blocked from signing if you do too good?

7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure that's true but it could be. Would have said the same about keeper and yet Gonzalez has played at a young age. I do know that Zeigler is starting to slow down and there is an opening for an upgrade the next year or so.

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think there's a lot of separation between the two. The club rates Carrera very high, and I suspect he'll be the next keeper to sign a HG deal. I'm not sure how exactly they'd arrive at the conclusion that he should skip over Wilson for a HG contract, but I'm only speculating based off what I've heard of how they rate Carrera and maybe Wilson doesn't want to sign with them. I have no reason to believe he was offered a HG contract, but maybe they did offer one to him.

They rated Carrera's brother much higher than some others did before an incident occurred that put a stop to that. I don't know exactly why, but those two brothers had/have a lot of fans at FC Dallas.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    To clear up a little confusion, the initial discussion was about Nico's younger brother Antonio ('04), who is a goalkeeper.

Nico left because the culture towards him was not hospitable.

I don't think he'd even be welcome back at Dallas. Then again, you are right, one does never know. About faces happen all the time.

10. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    What makes you think leaving for Europe gives him a better chance at getting first team experience?

CB is typically a more experienced position regardless of what league it is.

Stupid_American repped this.
  11. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    And clubs like Philly, RSL, even Atlanta have given young CBs a try.

Dallas has had Besler back there as a rock, but he's getting up there.

WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  12. STANDFAST

STANDFAST Member

United States
    Jun 8, 2018
    left the team three weeks ago.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. STANDFAST

STANDFAST Member

United States
    Jun 8, 2018
    Hospitable culture....? FCD? Hopefully you are being facetious.

ussoccer97531 and Runhard repped this.
  14. STANDFAST

STANDFAST Member

United States
    Jun 8, 2018
    From what I know, FCD has told pretty much every GK in their academy that they see them backing up Jesse Gonzalez in the future. You hear the same story over and over. They said it to Antonio Carrera recently to try and keep Nico in the system (and to keep Antonio in the academy next year), they told it to Will Watson to get him to move to Frisco to play in the academy, and they told it to Seth Wilson in 2018 when he went to train with Aberdeen FC and Cardiff City in the UK. That's a lot of pro roster space taken up with young goal keepers. I am sure they have also said this to Carlos Avilez on the USL squad as well.

15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hospitable to youths..? FCD? Surely I'm not.

16. Arantes

Arantes Member

Fluminense
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2018
    The majority of the team-playing minutes are going to the 04s and some 05s. Those 03s you listed, may start every now and then but the only one going the full 90 is Smith. For example, Che doesn't seem to have played a single minute with 17s this year (4 games). Maybe he's injured. Akem has played 75% of those minutes for the same 4 games. It may be because that team is undergoing changes. Who knows. I would expect Che to move up to the 19s now that Carrera is gone. Out of the last 4 games, they have won one.

17. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    If you say so. The 2003 players I mentioned have started a combined 79 of 87 matches this season. That is hardly now and again. I'm not sure of your point, but I don't disagree that the team is overall pretty poor for FCD standards. However, I also think that the 2004 age group is worse than the 2003 age group.

Che was hurt at GA Cup in Houston, that is why he has been out. I also expect him to be with the U19s the rest of the way. Jonathon Dadzie is also injured. With both starting CBs injured FCD has been filling in with Adrian Anguiano ,a 2005, and a part time player in William Baker. Two of their better 2004s, Cesar Elizalde and Ivan Villatoro are just making their way back from long term injuries, I believe.

18. Arantes

Arantes Member

Fluminense
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2018
    Semantics perhaps but you stated that "there are plenty of 03s that get a ton of minutes" and conveniently listed the 03s with the most minutes. Maybe we have different definitions for plenty and a ton. I took that to mean the majority of team minutes which doesn't seem to be the case but I haven't quantified it. I'm too lazy to go compare 04/05 vs 03 minutes but the DA reports are out there (have at it). Also, if you take into account the 04/05 minutes from GA and international trips (games are on youTube); it's not even close, 04s seem to have accumulated more minutes (again, my perception). You seem to follow this team closely and likely have access to all the tape and stats on these guys.

My initial point being, this is a young team that is getting younger as the season progresses and needing more help from 05s (go back and read my initial reference to 05 players). As you point out Cesar: 04s, Adrian: 05s, William 04 (team has an 03 CB whom somehow is not being used) are continuing to rack up "younger minutes". By the way, Cesar was injured; Ivan's was definitely not.

As far as the 04 being worse than the 03s...I'm not sure (excluding the 03s not playing with that team anymore) but time will tell. There's a couple of YNT 04 call ups coming up from that team.

19. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    I think Carrera, Dadzie and Reynolds are all YNT caliber - even more reason to scratch your head at their poor performance at the U15 level and U17 level.

20. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carerra would be in the 2000 or 1998 cycles but not the 2004 cycle. They have very good keepers already.

21. Arantes

Arantes Member

Fluminense
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2018
    I wonder if Cesar will ever get back to be a permanent in the YNT 04 landscape again. As far Reynolds goes, the jury is out on him. Playing a permanent position should help his chances.

22. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Cesar could be in the same boat. Is he a central midfield player or a left back. Personally, I think he has a higher ceiling as a left back, especially given the talent FCD has coming coming through in midfield.

23. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dadzie is the only one I could see because CB is always in need but I think that Antonio Leone and Brandan Craig should be locked in starters for this cycle. Cesar Elizalde, Antonio Carerra, and Ty Reynolds don't quite cut it for this cycle. They all have better players ahead of them.

24. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    I agree. Although I think they are YNT caliber (on the cusp), I don't expect any more than an occasional camp for any of them.

25. STANDFAST

STANDFAST Member

United States
    Jun 8, 2018
    Please research the Nico Carrera situation as just one glaring example.