The Fatwa on Soccer

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ian McCracken, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If They Only Knew Islam’s Simplicity

An interesting article published in Al-Watan newspaper last week mentioned a fatwa (religious edict) from a sheikh here that had been published on the Internet. It said that playing soccer was sinful in Islam if it did not abide by certain rules. The rules it specified were as follows:

1. That players should not wear T-shirts with numbers on them, trousers, or shorts, and only play with their sleeping clothes, as wearing the previously mentioned items would be copying the infidels.

2. That there be three periods instead of two, so that it would not comply with the international standards of soccer set by the infidels.

3. That players should spit in the face of the striker if he rejoices in scoring a goal in the opposing team’s net, as the purpose of the game is to be fit only, not for rejoicing in scoring.

4. The utterance of all words such as “foul”, “penalty”, “out”, and others is sinful since they are made up by the infidels who set soccer rules. There should also not be a crowd watching or cheering the game.

The fatwa goes on, but I think I will stop here. According to press reports, three Saudi players of a local football club in Taif named “Al-Rasheed” left their team because of the fatwa, and also left the country to join the jihadists in Iraq.

2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I wonder, does this have anything to do with that 8-0 Germany/Saudia debacle at the last WC?

3. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yawn.

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    At last I find some common ground with those ********ers. I am sure Jose Luis Chilavert will enthusiastically endorse this rule. And 'Chino' Benitez too.

:D

5. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    It was that 30-yard Bierhoff tap-in

6. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    What about Frank Rijkaard?

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I guess he is qualified to coach in Saudi Arabia, at least on one count.

:D

8. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    I'm sure that this "fatwa" will be obeyed by Moslems about as much as the prohibition on artificial birth control is being obeyed by Roman Catholics.

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    On a side note, sort of a related topic, I was wondering: How do people who wear turbans play soccer? Do they take it off to play? Because I'd think if they head the ball, wouldn't the turban sort of fall apart? Not to mention making it difficult to effectively aim for the goal.

10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    In his defense, Frank didn't spit on Voller because he scored. No, he simply was adding "gel" to Rudi's German mullet.

11. Ray Luca

Ray Luca BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 2, 2005
    Let's give Frank more credit then spit. It was multiple spitting. He caught him at least three time in the back of Vollers head.

12. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    I dunno... I just watched Asian Soccer Highlights on FSC and there sure were a lot of people in the stadiums in Qatar and UAE.

Me thinks about as many people pay attention to these nutjobs in that part of the globe as we pay attention to the likes of Fred "boy will he be suprised in the afterlife" Phelps.

13. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Man United and Mexico have been going by this for years.