The F1 Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea Off Topic Threads' started by Kazuma, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Starting this due to the conversation about it in the Other Teams Thread. Strangely enough I'm developing an interest in it too and I dislike auto racing.

Interestingly enough, Bernie Ecclestone's a Chelsea fan. Tried to buy us a while back but didn't get us.

[​IMG]

2. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Wrath: That overtake was awesome. That's textbook for any kind of racing.

3. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ive always been a casual race fan, but never F1. It is amazing. The speed and skill of these drivers is quite incredible. The coverage is really good and the cams onboard make you feel like you are in the car going 200+

This thread will probably die in a month but what the hell.

4. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I used to run races and some of the overtakes performed remind me of the stuff that happens in cross-country or track. Granted they are two completely different things but just watching the passing is incredible.

5. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I haven't seen so much F1 since Murray Walker gave up the mic (bloody perfect F1 commentator for those stateside, like Bill McClaren on the rugby - fit the sport so well)

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sySTUEpCP8E&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sySTUEpCP8E&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

But this season I've been watching more on SPEED network and the first race in Australia was a cracker. Obviously Lewis Hamilton is a part of my renewed interest but overall it feels like this is going to be a good season.

6. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    C2C, what are some teams to look out for? Just developed an interest.

7. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ferrari and McClaren are pretty dominant in recent years (Michael Schumacher was what Tiger Woods aspires to be when he was in the Ferrari for all those years) but this year also keep an eye out for the BMW Sauber outfit.

If you like Serie A - go Ferrari (Italian obvously). Premiership - McClaren (British based, british manager, british driver). Bundesliga - Sauber (german connect with BMW and Heidfeld). La Liga - Renault (with Fernando, my p***y is itching, Alonso).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/default.stm

Lewis Hamilton (McC - amazing rookie year last year), Fernando "I'm a twat" Alonso (Renault - not a great car though) and Kimi Raikonnen (Ferrari and current champ) will all be in the picture at the end of it.

Did I mention that Alonso is a cock?

8. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Thanks Dave. And what was that about Alonso?

9. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [​IMG]

10. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Hamilton an arrogant prick like some say? Isnt Renault based in England now?

11. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He has a lot of confidence for a young guy and seems to handle the pressure pretty well. He also has the pressure of being black in a whiter than white sport. Probably a little arrogant but it's the nature of the beast.

England has been a host to many F1 teams (not sure of current status but it will be in that bbc link) - but if you're looking for a tenuous football angle to F1 that's what I was angling for (poorly no doubt) :)

12. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I definitely get you, Mclaren and Hamilton was my original idea, seemed the most natural, would get behind an English outfit over an Italian and French one anyday, just wanted to make sure I was getting behind at least somewhat of a likeable driver, and that he had nothing to do with the spy scandal, although I read it wasnt him but your boy Alsono.

Hamilton's run last year was what actually attracted me to start watching

13. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He is pretty humble for a driver and more importantly very talented - definitely someone you can throw your lot behind.

I love the area you're touching on. The need to find a hook to follow any sport. I see it on the main boards when people talk about Zola or Dixon. Any sport is infinitely better when you have someone to root for and as important, someone to root against (pssst, Alonso is a great villain).

I'll try and post in here to let you know when the next races etc are - Speed network in the US has qualifying and race.

Oh and lets not forget that F1 is well in the news right now due to a certain president (Max Mosley) being involved in a certain incident (sex scandal) featuring a certain nasty theme (Nazi's).

If you need another reason - two words: pit girls :D
    http://www.eatnineghost.com/why-men-love-f1-formula-one/

Next race is in Barthelona on April 27th.

14. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah Zola did it for me, with a friendly push from a couple of friend(one a Spur the other a Gooner).

Im a sports addict/fanatic once Im in, I never get out. Boston Sports fan from birth, a Blue since circa 2000, a Gator since I came to UF(alough college sports for me are still the minor leagues),I even follow Rugby League(the Australia version), Boxing and Mix artial Arts are good for big fights, it never stops.

I keep up with F1 chedule now online and the Speed channel is great. I caught a glimpse here and there last year and it really caught my eye. They have great coverge from testing to the races.

Have caught the races this season and cant wait for the next. I here they get better from here.

I cetainly have had a distaste for Alonso right from the start, out of curiousity what wa your opinion of Juan Pablo before he left?

15. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Aye, almost any competitive sport can be as addictive as hell if a) you have a hook, someone/thing to attract you in the first place, b) you can follow it on tv/web c) it gives you a little chill from time to time.

Speed is pretty good with their coverage (though I never watch it outside of F1). I like that they are committed to the build up which, as any fan knows, makes the main event far more meaningful.

As for JPM, he came along in the era where I watched F1 less. However, when I did follow it in the early 2000's he struck me as a bit of a maverick, an entertaining driver who never quite met his potential. Unlucky to run into a Schumacher in the middle of his five-fer but good for a highlight or two.

16. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Oh Juan Pablo was erratic. On his day he was the best. BMW were coming into their own at that time. Their car was the fastest and had Ralf and Juan Pablo as their drivers. What did them in was consistency and some rookie mistakes from the drivers. Jaun Pablo at mclaren was a disaster. The car literally crumbled under him (well mclaren are known for that with cars giving way in the last lap). The years from 2000-2004 were so dismal (atleast for a non-ferrari fan). Michael would win 15 of the 16 races and over a minute over the others. It got soooo boring. Good thing they brought in more restrictions which made it interesting post 2004.

BTW i do not like Hamilton, end of. One of the things about Kimi was no matter what people say about him, he never cares. He may be sitting at the top of the championship or lingering in the bottom with people writing him off, he just wont say anything. He does his talking on the circuit and thats how he won last year and that too in the last race having been behind hamilton and alonso throughout the season.

17. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I like Kimi a lot too, don't get me wrong. But it would have taken quite a colossal effort for Hamilton not to react to all the sheet being laid at his door by Abba boy. He is young after all and showed more grace under fire than I'm sure I would have been capable of. Kimi's biggest obstacle is the Schumacher legacy and I think he's coping with that tremendously well.

Either way, hopefully we can get some good banter going on here. A little McClaran v Ferrari v Renault v Sauber arguing would be good. Moreover, it's the drivers who really create discussion......

18. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your boy Alonso has an option completely his to rejoin Ferrari if he wants it, and he is already interested with Renault disappointing him, that is all I need to know not to go with Ferrari. I like their drivers right now, but......

Kind of like the look of BMW, up and coming, not the traditional power, but neither driver has grabbed my interest.

Hamilton and Mclaren it is for me. Is Kovaleinen a threat for anything?

19. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's another relatively new driver and has impressed me so far this year. But although there are no 'official' team orders in F1 these days, he's likely to be playing second fiddle in the team to Hamilton who is being groomed as the face of F1.

Here's a little on what I mean by his apparant effort to try and be classy:

Believe him or not, at least he's trying to find the high ground :)

20. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    I don't watch F1 as much as I used to....back when Villeneuve, was a household name...Schumacher & Irvine v. Hakkinen & Coulthard, but I'm slowly getting back into it, backing my Ferrari boys.
    I'm really liking Massa, and always have since he was with Sauber.

Should be a good season, the constructors race is looking good for a good 3 way battle.

21. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I have to say Hamilton is 1000 times better than the swine that Alonso is. Its just that last year when he was at the top, he just couldnt stop raving about himself. I remember a race, hamilton was leading the constructors after around 5-6 races and was on pole position. Kimi overtook him in the pit stops and won the race. Instead of graceously accepting defeat (Kimi had done some amazing times on his inlaps) he blamed it on the mclaren pit crew and something about cannot be overtaken on the circuit. Forward to the next race, Kimi did just that. Overtook him at the first corner.

Its when things started going wrong, he lost his airs. I have to agree he mellowed down towards the end of the season and more so this one. He has tremendous potential but i know where my priorities lie :D

22. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  23. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Spanish Grand Prix this weekend!! Qualifying will be this Saturday on Speed Network (though it does clash with a rather more important event!!). If you can be fecked race will be 7:30am EST on the Sunday.

Another reason to hate Barcelona - check this story out about Hamilton's return to a place where he suffered, unsurprisingly perhaps, racist abuse.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7363354.stm

It's also the home circuit of "The Twat Who Shall Remain Nameless"

24. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ive got the tivo recording all 3 days of action, definitely not getting up that early on a Sunday but will watch without chcking out the results. I found out My roomate who actually made me a casual Nascar watcher is a long time F1 follower, not as rabid as this group, but a big Ferrari supporter. His interest has waned but I think I brought it back out in him.

25. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England