The Expansion Draft: Who Goes?

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Northcal19, Nov 10, 2004.

1. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO

2. Rapfan?

Rapfan? New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Colorado
    ok so here is the thing I am wondering The players that we aquire...congrats to them!
    BUT...with no coach and a possible dissmisal of the GM why would any player want to come to this club?? I think if I was drafted here I would have to say NO THANKS!

We have a history of being a Losing club and I am not sure why would a player would be interested in coming here????

3. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    We have a history of being a Losing club and I am not sure why would a player would be interested in coming here???
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    another good reason.... negative fans all the time.. instead of more negativity why not great we get a new coach and GM. It can't go anywhere but up!!

4. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A new coach will be in place by the time we are signing any players.

5. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    First off ... a player that is drafted has no choice except heading to Europe.

And Phills is sort of right ... I'm so excited ... with one good decision, the Rapids could be put on the US Soccer map!

Things are looking rosey from here!

6. Rei de Boston

Rei de Boston New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    I am really excited about finally seeing the lists. All the speculation is fun but it will be interesting and educational to see who is left out in the open. By educative I mean that it will show what direction the team is taking. Are they going to be very conservative and stick with what we have (namely staying with old players/ injured players) or are they going to try and go with unproven youth. I personally think it would be best to fall somewhere in between.

There is no way that going all youth will work unless you hit homeruns with every possible draft pick and allocation. With the expansion of roster sizes and expansion of the league that is just not a realistic option.

However, going with all old players has been done. Sure, sure we will have a new coach and a new system which will help greatly, but we can only expect so much production out of players like Hendo, Chung, Powell, Zizi, and the cubans. A very exciting time.

7. Rapfan?

Rapfan? New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Colorado
    Actually a player can turn down a draft.
    and a trade...may not bode well for them later. But they can turn down both!

8. askum33

askum33 New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
  9. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Because a new coach and possibly GM means that EVERY player that shows up for preseason camp knows they have a shot of winning a starting spot, no matter what their name is.

Truth is, after three mediocre seasons and an overall losing record, when the Rapids didn't fire Hankinson and gave him a 4th year it delivered the wrong message to players throughout the league, especially as the majority of them had little to no respect for Hankinson to begin with.

Take DC United as an example. A lot of players were less than impressed with Hudson, but in hiring Nowak they brought in a competitor, a winner, and most importantly someone that carried a boatload of respect among the players. Certainly there were players who were unsure of the job he'd be able to do as a coach (no questions now, I hope) along with simple personality conflicts.

This is why it is paramount for the Rapids to make a true step forwards. In hiring Hankinson after Mooch, everybody -- players, media, fans -- knew this was a sidestep and that little would change.

10. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    **The 11 newly graduated Project-40 players are: Nelson Akwari (Columbus Crew), Jose Burciaga (Kansas City Wizards), Brian Carroll (D.C. United), D.J. Countess (Chicago Fire), Clint Dempsey (New England Revolution), Alecko Eskandarian (D.C. United), Eddie Gaven (MetroStars), Nate Jaqua (Chicago Fire), Eddie Johnson (FC Dallas), Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew) and Seth Trembly (Colorado Rapids).

Come on ... sing with me ...

One of these players is not like the other ones ....

11. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I would take any of those other P-40s over Seth. Imagine if we had Gaven this year, and he had a similar performance? Can we please get a p-40 who is good this year!

12. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Based on these rules here's who's vulnerable to the expansion draft:

Internationals(Only One of these guys can be exposed):
    Delgado
    Powell
    Zizi
    Rey

Rest:

Beckerman
    Borchers
    Cannon
    Chung
    Crawford
    DLT
    DiGi
    Henderson
    Kotschau
    Mastroeni
    Pedro
    Stewart
    Sullivan
    Trembly

Protected from expansion draft:
    Cila
    Erush
    Foss
    Lewis

This means we need to expose (we can protect 12 players and we need to protect 3 SIs) 1 SI and 5 non-SI players:

So my list would be:
    1. Zizi
    2. Trembly
    3. Digi
    4. Sullivan
    5. Stewart
    6. (this one gets though) DLT or Beckerman

13. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh come on now. Name ONE person in here that is negative ALL the time. This isn't another, thinly-veiled "if you have something negative to say you aren't a true fan" thread is it?

There's been puh-lenty to be negative about this past season, and I think now that Hankinson is gone, things are looking up and the positives will flow like Rocky Mountian water to California.

14. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Will someone be able to get the play by play off ESPN News tomorrow and post the results as the happen?

15. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine the league will have the video stram on the website like the MVP award was. They'll probably have some sort of on-line draft cast too. I wouldn't worry about finding out who gets picked.

16. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    The actual draft isn't until Friday I think. Tomorrow they publish the lists of protected players.

17. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapid Fire email today said the protection list will be posted on coloradorapids.com sometime tomorrow.

18. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the list, according to the Post.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~94~2539823,00.html

SIX UNPROTECTED PLAYERS
    Antonio de la Torre, 26, defender
    Joey DiGiamarino, 27, midfielder
    Darryl Powell, 33, midfielder
    Jeff Stewart, 24, defender
    Seth Trembly, 22, midfielder
    Scott Vallow, 27, goalie

12 PROTECTED PLAYERS
    Kyle Beckerman, 22, midfielder
    Nat Borchers, 23, defender
    Joe Cannon, 29, goalie
    Mark Chung, 34, midfielder
    Matt Crawford, 24, midfielder
    Alberto Delgado, 26, striker
    Chris Henderson, 33, midfielder
    Ritchie Kotschau, 28, defender
    Rey Angel Martinez, 24, striker
    Pablo Mastroeni, 28, midfielder
    Jean Philippe Peguero, 23, striker
    Zizi Roberts, 25, striker

DEVELOPMENTAL PLAYERS (PROTECTED)
    Jordan Cila, 22, midfielder
    Michael Erush, 21, midfielder
    Byron Foss, 25, goalie
    Ricky Lewis, 22, defender
    Gary Sullivan, 22, defender

20. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, DLT unprotected. Are you sure Hanki didn't make this list? I would have thought he'd be a decent bargining chip for a high Chivas draft pick. The Rapids continue to hope Zizi will get healthy as they protect him over Powell. Not that either expansion team will be silly enough to take him. I'd imagine DLT is the only one taken from us. Maybe Vallow for a solid back up keeper but they could draft one of them from the many quality senior keepers coming out of college. It will be an interesting Friday.

21. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see Vallow and DLT going, although the Rapids can protect one player if DLT (for instance) goes early. Who would you protect once the first player goes?

I'm hoping they just plain cut Zizi. If he gets injured again, take him out back and put the poor bastard out of his misery.

If any team takes Trembly, they officially become Colorado's bitch.

22. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DLT's status as a Mexican green card holder makes him a potential first or second rounder. I don't know if there are any others in the league. I don't think there are. If he goes, I'd take back Vallow. I know in that article he says this could be a good opportunity to go and fight for a starting spot, but I don't want any of the others to stick around. The article also points out that Trembly played for Ellinger on the U-17 team. Maybe we'll get lucky and see him taken, in the 10th round.

23. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a fvcking mistake. We could have at least traded for draft picks for De La. And its even possible that draft picks would mean something now that we don't have the Christmas Turd in charge... :mad:

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF!?!?

Protecting Beckerman over McDLT and Delgado or Roberts over Powell stinks of Hankinson logic. I suppose Councebert has struck again...

25. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're right. We can now see who is incharge here, Counce. He must go!