The Expanded A-League Expansion Thread II

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by el-capitano, Mar 28, 2018.

1. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Veart says the same thing:

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/a...nts-an-expanded-and-fairer-a-league-c-4619387

Yoshou repped this.
  2. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    In this place yes. I still have some good discussions on the AFC board about national team football.

el-capitano repped this.
  3. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    On Veart's comment about not playing everyone the same amount of times being unfair. If we decided the Champion by who finished on top of the ladder he would have a point. However all you need do is finish in the top half of the league during the regular season to have a chance of being Champion if you are good enough. This compensates for the unbalanced competition.

el-capitano repped this.
  4. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im still here even though I haven't lived in Oz since 2012 :D

5. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I agree, with your point about the champion, being decided if you're good enough, but I also like the idea of more games, and and even number of games against all teams.

almango repped this.
  6. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think any expansion also needs to take into account how promotion/relegation would be incorporated. I'm also not sure where the market threshold is for fully professional teams in Australia. Is it 20 or maybe more. I think we need to have at least 20 before we can have promotion/relegation as a right between two 10 team leagues. Any team wanting admission to the second tier from the state leagues would also need to meet professional standards as well as getting there on performance. It will be interesting to see how they go about that and get the competing interests on board with a proposal.

el-capitano repped this.
  7. Pack87Man

Pack87Man BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The unbalanced competition thing is stupid. You have a playoff system so the best teams go head to head for the title, so there is nothing fairer than that. However, some variety in competition is nice. I hated the days when MLS was at 10 teams, because it was the same thing over and over, and 12 teams was only a little better. I have my doubts as to how many teams Australia can support, but hopefully it's more than the Scottish league.

almango repped this.