The Euros

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Lazy Assed Assassin, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Kane has now played in 4 Cup finals, has never scored and lost all 4.

2. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He didn't really have a chance after the early goal and Southgate's conservative setup. He had a good game, dropping deep like he does for us sometimes. And his penalty was flawless. What might have been...

3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found it funny that Italy trained at Spurs training ground.

The Ref also let play go a bit, and Kane got the short end a few times.

4. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    If Kane wants to win a trophy, he must transfer to a better country.

5. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Or show up in a final.

6. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's not fair on Kane.

7. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    It's harsh, no doubt.

I'm not suggesting he's been poor in finals. I mean, even when folks think he's playing poorly, he's almost always doing things of incalculable value for the side. And of course, being tactically outdone in each of them is surely the bigger factor. Still, by his standards, he's never had a strong performance in a final.

8. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Messi finally won his first international the day before and had some similar criticism about not being as influential. Maybe Kane just needs another 8 years :)

9. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I don't think Messi has too much to apologize for in his career. I mean how many team medals has he won over his career? I think the talk about him not having won anything with Argentina was a lot of claptrap. Are we going to say that Gareth Bale is rubbish because he never won anything with Wales?

10. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The only time that criticism pops up is in the 'greatest ever' conversation. Pele and Maradona did it on the biggest stages. For Ronaldo and Messi, winning the Euros and the Copa America,, respectively, went a long way for them because if you don't, it'll weigh against you in that conversation. And, of course, that's a conversation Bale will never be in.

11. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    In many ways, England's defeat was not much different than the quarterfinal loss to Italy on penalties in 2012. Italy pummeled the English for 120 minutes on that day before the inevitable horror show in the shootout. I am amazed that with all the millions PL clubs are paying their English "stars", England can't put a team together that can string two passes together. I mean one shot on target over 120 minutes is pretty shocking.

The irony is that if Jack Grealish and Jadon Sancho were Italian, they would probably play regularly in their starting XI. For whatever reason, English managers over the years have had an aversion to their most talented and creative players.

12. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    My man of the match was Chiesa. If he hadn't gone down with an injury, Italy would have walked it in normal time, he was that dominant.