The European Super League Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Shay Z, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Yup, I'm in bed by 11, and I'm not watching a game I can't finish .

2. CivilProtection

CivilProtection Member+

Jul 6, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yeah no difference, except
    • getting so many exciting matches week in week out before KOs (vs. even more pointless matches that no one gives a damn)
    • the teams of each group actually playing each other since they're called a "group" (unlike that abomination of a format)

Icalldibbs repped this.
  3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Something doesn't add up with that first point. SL has matches "week in week out" yet CL is the one with more pointless matches? How in the world is a 18- or 20-round group stage going to be kept exciting and meaningful, when the knockout stage determines the champion? The other issue is that of course teams like Man City will just put out "B" teams because they can cruise into the KO stage with their eyes closed.

As for the 2nd point, I don't really care because it all boils down to the KO stage anyway (that's true for both the CL and SL). The shorter the group stage the better.

4. CivilProtection

CivilProtection Member+

Jul 6, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    No one is interested in Brugge/YoungBoys/Midtjylland/Krasnodar/Besiktas/Sherrif/Malmo/Locomotiv/Basaksehir/Ferencvaros/Salzburg/Ludogorets..., I'm sure it's cool for their fans, but they drag the whole thing down for most viewers, even when they're paired with a top side.

And as if 32 teams weren't enough, it'll be 36, can't wait to see Midtjyllandv2.0

But most people would pay to watch the top dogs playing each other "every" week. It'll be only 20 teams, and is literally impossible to not find some absolutely great ties at any given matchday.

It's not rocket science.

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Note that at least 2 if not 3 of the 4 additional teams are likely to be semi-big clubs / part of the super-dooper league. For e.g. if we had the new format this season, the additional 4 teams would have included Arsenal, Roma and Monaco (the 4th team would probably be cannon-fodder though as its a league champion of the 12th-ranked league or something like that).

Of course, 36 > 20. But also, 20 matches > 10 matches. So the importance of any given match drops significantly.

They are both extremely watered-down competitions in their own way. Which one you prefer (or hate least) comes down to what you find more appealing:
    Typical SL match: Chelsea v Real Madrid with not much at stake
    Typical CL group match: Dortmund v Sporting Portugal in a do-or-die

And let's not pretend the SL won't expand after a few seasons...

6. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The Superleague starts and ends because teams are trying to cut out the middleman. Uefa simply isn't needed anymore and they get a cut for their branding.

7. CivilProtection

CivilProtection Member+

Jul 6, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Typical ESL matchday (Bayern vs Liverpool, RM vs City...): Tons of excitement.
    Typical CL matchday: Yawn. Is it last 8 yet?

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Skipping the Madrid match tonight then, are we? :coffee:

9. CivilProtection

CivilProtection Member+

Jul 6, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Why not, just another day at the office ;)

You should look up the word "typical" though.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Every season there are at least 2-3 mouth-watering round of 16 CL ties. And the games actually mean something. If this was a SL match it would be like: "oh Madrid moves up to 4th place, PSG drop to 5th. *yawn* Is it the knockout stage yet?"

That's why I've kept saying the format that gets us to the KO stage sooner is the preferred one.

11. CivilProtection

CivilProtection Member+

Jul 6, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That'd be the equivalent of KO'ing a rival, so yeah, that would've been great too.

Not to mention the other exciting matches at the same time, every matchday.

12. madridista_hr

madridista_hr Red Card

Real Madrid
    May 21, 2009
    Here
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    It was a great game! Have you seen it, maybe?

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Madrid and PSG are not rivals of any sort.

Anyway, by the time the SL happens (20 years of talk), Newcastle will be outspending PSG and the EPL will be a de-facto super league. Not that I want that, but it does highlight the pointlessness of a SL when you have one domestic league with 7 of the top 15 or so teams in Europe.

Guess we've made our points on this. Goodnight.

14. CivilProtection

CivilProtection Member+

Jul 6, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I meant "getting to the next phase of ESL with the other side probably disqualified" in scenarios similar-ish the one you mentioned.

The fight for top 4 (or whatever number they come up with in the end) would be pretty big in ESL.

And no, the likes of Newcastle probably won't be able to operate like they do now, with new rules (an actual FFP) that are actually enforced by the clubs themselves.

15. Galatico

Galatico Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 15, 2019

Childish.

Deep Pal repped this.
  16. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Us knocking PSG out had to hurt quite a bit, chance for a little propaganda and a talking point up in smoke

17. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I forgot this guys name when he disappeared after he got spanked in court.

18. Galatico

Galatico Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 15, 2019

19. Glide84

Glide84 Member+

Jan 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Beyond crazy that the dude whose club manipulated and broke the rules without consequences is magically going to create a fair and transparent system. Corruption beyond belief, under an extended rule with these clowns who knows the damage they do.

PigBenis, Galatico, yoanaidarov and 4 others repped this.
  20. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The fact that PSG are in charge of fiscal sustainability for the UEFA clubs is a major turnoff for the sport for me.

You cannot be serious serving us this bullshit as fans.

PigBenis, dooda, Shay Z and 4 others repped this.
  21. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah

that’s like naming Pablo Escobar the president of the say no to drugs campaign

Shay Z, Glide84, Digital and 2 others repped this.
  22. Beowulf112

Beowulf112 Member

Real Madrid
    Croatia
    Jun 3, 2018
    Any concrete news on European Super League?or we wait for more news this year as long is our journey in champions league active?

23. Galatico

Galatico Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 15, 2019
    Then these same people go off and try to gaslight fans into believing the super league is unfair. It's a joke.

Glide84 repped this.
  24. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If you ask me:

The world cup every two years thing and the Superleague will end up as a ultimate handshake between two extreme shakeups for the sport.

Fifa want more influence in club football, the Superleague clubs wanted more influence in club football.

The first draft of the Superleague was signed by Infantino. As soon as these two forces find a way to connect their positions, it's back on in full force.

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  25. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yea, WC every two years pretty much kills fhe Euros. Top clubs still won't want UEFA taking 51% of CL TV money. It was 60% before Super League was announced btw.