The European Super League Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Shay Z, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Survey: Sports fans increasingly prefer highlights over live games

Among U.S. sports fans ages 18–34, 58% of MLB fans, 54% of NBA fans and 48% of NFL fans say they prefer watching highlights to full games, according to a survey by Variety Intelligence Platform.

Of note: The number of NFL fans ages 35–49 who prefer highlights to games drops substantially to 20%, but that isn't the case for the NBA and MLB, with roughly half of fans in that age group saying so.

https://www.axios.com/sports-highlights-live-games-survey-b72456e3-3291-4de4-98c2-e5f80d33e81b.html

High profile football game that's free to air getting big numbers doesn't disprove Florentino's point. Anyone with common sense will know a big game will generate way more interest in CL than Man Utd vs Brugge.

Shay Z repped this.
  2. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Also club games can't be free to air because they are the ones paying the players unlike NTs.

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  3. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Also, let's be honest, the only team I sit down and really watch is Real Madrid, if I'm not at the match, in the stadium, and it's not Madrid playing, I'm on the phone, the computer, or on something else at the same time and the match is on another screen.

PigBenis, Shay Z, MaxY and 5 others repped this.
  4. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I think the entire concept flew over your head.

5. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    LMAO the mental gymnastics is hilarious. Not to mention is a international game, Semi final in one of the biggest world competitions.

6. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    What was the viewership of Poland vs Slovakia and Ukraine vs Austria in Britain?

Even the guy that wrote the tweet simply stops responding when people point this out. Funny. :D

PigBenis, ahnaf, Saeta Rubia and 2 others repped this.
  7. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

NFL (and MLB) games amount to an hours long montage of highlights as the game is basically stopped after every play which gives people watching on TV replay highlights of every miniscule detail throughout the game. Who can forget John Madden measuring the sweat stains on the Dallas Cowboys offensive line to make some determination about their performance.

Long running joke I've heard is that Americans don't enjoy soccer because they don't have the attention span for it.

This is not a compliment. It's a huge problem of desiring instant gratification and there should be pushback, not bending over to bexome part of the problem.

I don't watch nearly as many games as I used to as a teenager, but I used to watch every game I could. Every game during a WC or CA, plus random Brazilian league, Mexican league, etc., - any game, any time.

Now I only really make myself available for Madrid games.

I do keep up with my local team and I think this is the heart of the discussion. If these smaller, lower level teams lose interest and fold - won't there be a grassroots problem. Won't the sport start losing fans from the bottom up. People who become fans because of a local club team and only follow the sport for that reason might stop tuning in altogether. The superleage might suffer an attrition problem, losing fans that can't be replaced.

8. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Question: what is UEFA doing now to support grassroots football that ESL wouldn't be doing just as well if not better?

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  9. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The broadcasting rights "wealth redistribution" that is the crux of Florentino's grievance here.

Flo doesn't think that revenue should be distributed fairly and equally among la Liga teams or across UEFA members.

His complaint is that we only receive an equal share of the money and that the club should instead receive a disproportionate share, the superleague idea is to simply cut hundreds of clubs and dozens of leagues out of the picture.

10. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    How does the ESL impact La Liga?

11. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think superleague will diminish the value of la Liga rights.

CL offers 6 games + potentially 6 more games in knockout rounds to watch Real Madrid. Superleague guarantees you will see double that amount of Real Madrid games each season.

Why continue watching la Liga games when you can see the same team play each week in a different league that will presumably have more/cheaper accessibility in terms of broadcasters and streaming services. All adds up to making it more "convenient" to watch superleage.

https://www.footballbenchmark.com/l...e_landscape_big_money_in_the_big_five_leagues

"On the other hand, considering the proportion of TV rights revenues in a club’s total operating revenue mix, we can see that smaller clubs are more dependent on that revenue stream than bigger clubs – a case in point is Spanish side Eibar, who recorded an astonishing 90% dependence on broadcasting revenues in 2017/18. Understandably, smaller clubs have limited chances for lucrative sponsorship deals, high matchday or commercial income, or for participation in international tournaments, which, in turn, could positively affect all those revenue sources, beyond the core income from UEFA."

12. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Because more is more. For the same reason more people abroad watch Real Madrid play Valladolid than Valencia vs Villareal despite both teams being relatively strong.

That's the point really. The big clubs are driving broadcast rights. If broadcasters would have the ability to only buy the top 6 from each League, they absolutely would.

13. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    So you're saying that the ESL, which is replacing the CL, is creating a much more profitable and better for viewership product that the CL, and that because of that, viewership of local leagues will suffer?

14. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But according to Flo the problem is fans don't want more games. They just want to watch the highlights on YouTube or Sportscenter. The superleague does nothing to address this.

Apparently a short video of Hazard going through the motions on the training ground has more of an audience than anything he might do for 90 minutes on gameday.

15. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    He never said the fans don't want more games, he said fans want more interesting games.

Saeta Rubia and Ahmadi8 repped this.
  16. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm saying the ESL will be fighting fir the same fan base but does nothing to increase exposure and bring in new fans.

0-0 games are about as competitive as they get but almost nobody ever goes to a game hoping for that scoreline. On the other hand you claim nobody wants to watch Real Madrid beat Almeria 8-2 because uncompetitive games are boring.

I can remember one year my uncle buying season tickets to the a sports team and offering to take all the kids to at least one game. I picked a Monday night game because I wanted to miss school and possibly appear on tv. My older brother picked the easiest game on the schedule because it meant he would see lots of scoring.

You are projecting what is subjective - what makes games fun, interesting, etc.

17. Real__Madrid

Real__Madrid Member+

Aug 29, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    lol, so UK is the entire World? There are obvious other factors impacting here, but aside from that, I for example didn’t bother watching the semi final

18. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Let's face it, the small clubs were up in arms because the big clubs paying less attention to the League would mean that they starve/go bankrupt.

Fans love to count the millions clubs spend, but I'm quite sure the vast majority of Spanish clubs are operating far beyond any kind of normal range of financial responsibility. A regular business is done with at that point, football keeps footballing because people need sport as a way to vent.

19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think football is the only sport where fans get so involved with the financials of the club and talk about how much has been spent in transfers.

20. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Not sure about that, NBA fans seems to be in calculator and trade mode through the entire season.

On the other hand euroleague is so murky, sometimes it feels like the teams are throwing around monopoly money. There are stories of players locking themselves up in a room with club officials and threatening to whoop their ass until they get paid. There's some crazy stories.

21. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    How is the ESL fighting for the same fan base as local leagues but the UCL isn't?

Where did I claim that nobody wants to watch a Real Madrid game vs. anyone? The point is no one wants to watch Red Bull Salzburg vs. Lokomotiv Moskow.

Digital and Ahmadi8 repped this.
  22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The issue at hand are the dead group stage games. Honestly, as a Barca fan ... I don't really want to watch Inter x Spurs , Arsenal x Milan, Juve x Man City ... unless there is a story line and it's a KO match. It's enough time consuming to follow your own team and maybe a rival and an odd interesting game. That's just me. But I understand what they are doing.

Having said that, if the new generation consumes content in 10 min YT spurs, I don't see how this is going to change that.

If the ESL doesn't take care of the arms race transfer market, it won't solve a damn thing from the financial aspect. The numbers will just become bigger. And even if they set some regulations, clubs have a tendency to find ways around it. I mean, Qatar made Neymar "spokes person" for the Qatar WC. Just a way to kick his compensation up a notch and not go through FFP rules ... which became a sham anyways. Or Mbappe's 1 year loan to purchase deal, which was just a way to circumvent it.

Cosmin10 repped this.
  23. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm certainly not suddenly going to be watching Spurs and Milan games because they are included as part of something called the "superleague" and I don't see other casual fans doing it either.

I don't really watch other la Liga games either, usually I will tune in because I want to see specific players I've heard about or that the club is linked to.

But the reality is that the majority of the superleagur games will become dead rubbers like they are for the bottom half of the table teams in la Liga. I'm so used to Madrid fighting for league title I've never experienced what it would be like to see us sitting in 10th place, 20 points behind the league leaders. I don't even know that I would continue to watch the Madrid games that season under such a scenario. Would really suck to start this whole new league just for Madrid to become a spoiler team that celebrates taking points off the "big clubs" but doesn't celebrate anything at the end of the season.

24. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Then you're like a guy that had a beef taco and a meat lovers pizza arguing for vegetarian diet here.

dooda and Shay Z repped this.
  25. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    FC Barcelona, Juventus, and Real Madrid CF welcome today's Court's decision enforcing, with immediate effect, UEFA's obligation to unwind the actions taken against all European Super League founding clubs, including terminating the disciplinary proceedings against the undersigning three clubs and removing the penalties and restrictions imposed on the remaining nine founding clubs for them to avoid UEFA's disciplinary action.

The Court backs the request made by the promoters of the European Super League, dismisses UEFA's appeal, and confirms its warning to UEFA that failure to comply with its ruling shall result in fines and potential criminal liability. The case will be assessed by the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg, which shall review UEFA's monopolistic position over European football.

We have the duty to address the very serious issues facing football: UEFA has established itself as the sole regulator, exclusive operator, and unique owner of rights of European football competitions. This monopolistic position, in conflict of interest, is damaging football and its competitive balance. As shown by ample evidence, financial controls are inadequate, and they have been improperly enforced. Clubs participating in European competitions have the right to govern their own competitions.

We are pleased that going forward we will no longer be subject to ongoing UEFA's threats. Our aim is to keep developing the Super League project in a constructive and cooperative manner, always counting on all football stakeholders: fans, players, coaches, clubs, leagues, and national and international associations. We are aware that there are elements of our proposal that should be reviewed and, of course, can be improved through dialogue and consensus. We remain confident in the success of a project that will be always compliant with European Union laws.