The Euro leagues have started up: Your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by AndrewGK, Aug 26, 2002.

1. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    A silly thread, yes.

With the startup of the Euro football leagues, was curious to hear what you all think so far; any surprises or disappointments so far this year.

I have watched bits and chunks of matches so far. Was fun to watch David Beckham hamming it up to the hostile Chelsea crowd the other day after scoring that sweet goal on the counterattack ;)

I'm still assuming that Serie A will be in full swing in 2 weeks? Have they gotten the TV crap sorted out yet?

And who the h*ll is VfL Bochum? Can't say I have heard of them, and they are sitting atop the German Bundesliga after 3 games, and then you have Leverkusen, 5 games from the bottom of the table. :eek:

2. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    It is near impossible to draw any conclusions after only two or three fixtures.

Come Thanksgiving, it'll be a whole lot more clear.

3. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    I know it's early, but surely there are some things that have caught people's eyes.

I'm just happy that the Euro leagues have started up, and Fox Sports World can stop showing repeats of last years' fixtures.

4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    it's difficult for me to really care or follow those leagues until crew season is over.

5. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen Hang. Here's my 2 cents on the Budesliga:

Bayer Leverkusen, after making a very impressive 2nd place trebble last year will now fall from grace because they shuffled and sold too many of their key players, especially to arch-enemy Bayern Munchen. I honestly expect them to be about as powerful as Stuttgart this year. Might as well start off with low expectations so if they do better I'll be happy.

6. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    What other leagues?

7. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    That would explain why Leverkusen was wanting Donovan back in the fold ;)

8. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    I'm pretty pleased so far.

9. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bochum are one of Waldo's old clubs.

I'm mostly a Premiership kind of guy. It seems like whenever I'm home - even if I'm off doing other chores - the TiVo is on playing a Premiership match for me. I must have watched 7 games this weekend, between all of the English games and the two eastern conference MLS matches. Shibby!

10. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    Beckham looks like a girl in that skirt. Wht is up with those giant shorts? Are they the only team in the league with that happening?

I notice others with tight, long shorts...everyone has the knee high socks...but those skirts...odd and ugly.

We can't view enough their exercise has to offer.

11. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Anyone see Alex Rae's goal for Wolves against Derby?

Yes that's right we won 4-1 at Pride Park.

12. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in West Brom when you beat Derby... It was funny.... They weren't too pleased with the result.

We then beat them for their first ever home match in the premiership. WBA are pants.

13. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Yes... and the place is a dump.

Did you end up at Snow Hill or New Street or what?

14. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    BTW, Eggy, there is actually a "Wolverhampton" Road up here in Columbus, not sure if you knew about it.

15. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    Leeds and Djurgårdens are doing well. Im happy.

16. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    theres also a leeds, derby, coventry, cambridge, reading, york, ect ect...

17. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there's a northampton in Hilliard as well as a North Hampton, south hampton and all that...

18. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Maybe I need to steal that sign.

All around me are roads like that too. Sunderland, Stockport, Falkirk, Brentford...etc

19. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Signs aren't so easy to steal in some places.

Need a lot of odd tools to steal some of the signs in upper arlington... the good old wrench or screwdriver wasn't enough. I really wanted to steal the Leeds Road sign. Maybe next time i'll go back with some proper equipment.

20. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    Today's interesting stuff:

ManU fans and the club rejoice as they win the return leg 5-1 vs Zalaegerszeg. Apparently they would have lost out on about $10.68 million in revenue if they got bounced.

I hear Splarg is pretty upset about that ;)

And apparently Hasselbaink isn't going to Barcelona. Chelsea and the Spanish club were not able to come to terms. I did hear something about a European transfer deadline coming up on Saturday; I thought transfers took place year round :eek:.

21. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
  22. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, my dad's frat brothers stole the street sign for Foos St. in C'bus (near Broad & 315). Haven't yet gotten around to getting the newer version of the sign yet...

23. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    You trying to lure me into an all night sign thieving spree?

I dunno could be fun.

24. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Starting tomorrow I'll be living on Everton Place. Feel free to swing by and nab that sign, too.

25. LoveFifa

LoveFifa New Member

Apr 23, 2001
    Detroit, Michigan
    The only thing I'm surprised about is my lack of interest in Europe. I thought I would have been more pumped. I'm sure that will chance once the MLS season is over, or, for that matter, the Crew's season.

Here's to obscurity until I'm bored.