The Euro 2008 Thread (talk about the matches, not the boots!)

Discussion in 'Equipment and Gear Off Topic' started by Dr. Boots, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I know it is a touch late since we are into the second round of games in the group stage but there isn't anything going in the E&G forum the Euro's other than boot talk and being a fan of the sport not just the flash gear, I want to discuss actual play so far.

I always pick Holland to win every Euro because as a neutral I love their style of play and the skill they display, but it is always something I never place money on because of the fact that you can get the best football you have ever seen one match and then everyone hating each other and messing about the next with them. For whatever reason there seems to be a lot of squad unity and not so many ego's splitting the team(this was very obvious when after Henry scored, no one got flustered, they just marched down and scored in 40 seconds) I hope they actually win it all this time around because they are a nation who based on pure skill and ability they should have many more titles in their trophy room. I am a touch annoyed with the American broadcasting staff kissing so much Dutch a$$ now but their play has been exciting so I am glad these morons on tv here can understand the game enough to know they are playing in rare way right now.

I just hope this doesn't go like WC06 when I had the Argies as my pick and they looked like destroyers of worlds in the group, a team of fate after the Maxi volley and then fell in a match that should have been the final IMO.

My other views so far...Italy and France are way past their sell by date and so are almost all their big players (Henry, Thuram, Gallas and Zambrotta looked awful)...Benzema is still good, he just has moron teammates and a moron manager....Villa is and always has been a striker and a great finisher, where Torres is a great player and average finsher...The Ronaldo love from the announcers is overboard even though he is the best player there...Buffon did not intend to make a save with his hand and foot, it was luck, don't be swayed by Tommy Smyth...Beckenbauer still can't keep his mouth shut...So far barring the snooze session that Greece always manages to put out the football has been exciting and fun to watch...England's inclusion could had actually created 2 groups of death, in theory anyway...As usual the Euro's are better to watch than the World Cup because of the better all around standard.

2. UVaGooner

UVaGooner BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 15, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm always for the Dutch, but had no idea they'd be playing this well. Just beautiful to watch, though the central D still scares me. However, if they keep scoring like this, that won't matter. As a bonus, it's always nice to see RVP score. If Van Basten can get Ajax to play this well, watch out!

3. joey8sg8

joey8sg8 New Member

Mar 26, 2007
    Tea Room
    The Dutch have easily been the most entertaining team of Euro 08 so far.

They have kept a 7-1 sheet over two games. Winning 3-0 over WC champs, and 4-1 over WC runners-up. They have had 6 different goalscorers over 7 goals. Winning "the group of death". Their passing has been remarkable, showing an understanding and unity that hasn't been seen in a dutch side for a long time. A perfect example was Rudd's flick to Robben resulting in a cross the would find RvP's foot for the second goal of the match.

Of course luck has been on their side a bit with the controversial Rudd goal in the italy match, which disallowed, could have changed the complexion of that game. However, If the defense can hold strong (We all know about the problems in central defense) it is tough to see the Dutch team not going far in this competition.

4. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Not to totally turn this into a Dutch lovefest but I have been impressed with Khalid Boulahrouz, who I usually rank somewhere between Titus Bramble and Bobo Balde as a defender which isnt saying much. He held Henry in check and did well on the flank against the Italians too. If he can stay at this level this rest of the time he will be vital. Rudd's spin turn to set up Robben to RVP was nasty good, and people say all he can do is tap it in.

5. m4k-10

m4k-10 New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Its amazing how he steps up from being mediocre to the high level he is now, just by playing for his national team. Shame our england players lack that attribute.

6. Case

Case Member

May 5, 2004
    Cambridge, England
    what are matches? U mean those guys in those snazzy boots are kicking the balls for a purpose and it;s not just a giant grass-covered catwalk???

7. m4k-10

m4k-10 New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    what. a. game.

and koller is an absolute embarrassment to football.

8. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Good job he's retired from the nats now.

Well done Turkey. All credit to them.

9. quixoticelixir42

quixoticelixir42 New Member

Jun 24, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    refs are being incredibly strict on heated emotions during the tournament. good thing is, they're actually being consistent! Both Schweinsteiger and Volken got red for pushing people around. Didn't like seeing it happen either time but the consistency is very nice.

But man what a comeback. One of the most exciting comebacks I've seen since the '04 ALCS [i like my baseball] and '05 CL final.

10. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Italy out good riddance :)

11. Case

Case Member

May 5, 2004
    Cambridge, England
    Twas a strange game, for all the hype Villa and Torres were about as effective as an umbrella in a flood, perhaps it's the defensive nouse of the Italians but the 2 up top seemed far less impressive than I have been of them in every game I seen them in for the past 3 years!
    Can Racist Arrogantis quit screwing around and see the light that Fabs has to start ahead of Xavi or even Ini, dubF looked the only competent player on the park when he came on and he wasn't exactly having his best day at work either....
    Anyone disputing the Iker is the best keeper in the world only need look at that game- coz I'd take lucky anyday of the week and the boy blessed!

12. COPA17

COPA17 New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    amen case, and wow, biased ref anyone? as andy gray pointed out every minute of the game, the ref was making small "nothing" calls in italy's favor but couldn't see the blatant shirt-grabbing, toe-stepping-on, and other illegal antics of the italians inside the box...not to mention villa's yellow card for simulation, which was total shite!

13. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word..Still Spain won they played better and won it in PK's so all is good.

14. quixoticelixir42

quixoticelixir42 New Member

Jun 24, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  15. Case

Case Member

May 5, 2004
    Cambridge, England
    Yet another terrible day for football.....

16. COPA17

COPA17 New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yep...a bit like liverpool over havant& waterlooville for me, except on a wider scale.

17. Case

Case Member

May 5, 2004
    Cambridge, England
    Miroslav Klose: has their even been a more mediocre player to have such a phenomenol international goal scoring record?!?!

18. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So are we going for Germany or Spain ppl?

appleCORR

19. wrekinrak25

wrekinrak25 Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Germany becuase i hate Fabregas, Iniesta, and Xavi...there's just something about spanish central midfielders that i don't like

however, i think that spain will win, unfortunately, probably on a fabregas goal:mad:

20. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, thats a good enough reason for wanting Germany to win! I'm not really too fussed who wins. I just want a decent game to watch!

appleCORR

21. Case

Case Member

May 5, 2004
    Cambridge, England
    Can I ask, if you hate :eek: 3 of the tidiest, most talented ball playing midfielders on the planet, what do u like in soccer?!?!

Everyones entitled to their opinions, so people keep telling me (however me opinion is that they are not, paradox anyone :p) for example my mate hates iniesta and a whole hose of other major talents "coz he looks funny" whilst liking players who look good irrespective of talent (a lil gay now I think about it!), BUT I just don't see how any1 can dislike those spanish midfielders - well I dislike Xavi insomuch as his presence means Fabs sits on the bench as the better player, but thats hardly Xavi's fault I guess....

Man anyone who doesn't want Spain to beat Germania cannot be a fan of the sport, coz on the play of this tourney - not to mention only having 1 non-spaniard playing, Spain would be clear and deserved winners. I'm sure Guillermo would pitch it but I ain't heard from him since he rode his merry way 23hrs ona coach for the semi, methinks he's drunkenly trying to blag final tix out there!

The Germans have actually played a way that has allowed for attractive games, unusual and long may it continue. Going forward Podo is a beast, sumhow looks teh quickest player of the tourney when he has the ball- made that new cheatski portuguese fullback look a mug a couple of times down his side. As I said Klose is poo but will always score. I don't get how come the Beeb comms have been saying what an ordinary Germ side this is given that they haven't had 2 players of that calibre in my memory...

22. wrekinrak25

wrekinrak25 Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    no case don't get me wrong, i don't particularly like either team here, but it's like picking the lesser of two evils, and to me that is Germany

and as far as those three players go, it's just personal preference, but i prefer the bigger, stronger central midfielders who are more direct in their style instead of passing the ball around in circles like those three do...they're obviously pretty good and their style has been effective this tournament, but it's not how i play and i don't like them

23. cjump

cjump Member

Jul 31, 2006
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well we know why wrekinrak doesn't like Fabs. i wouldn't like a guy that blast a 35 yard goal against your favorite team (at WHL) to take the lead.;)

24. igoalie21

igoalie21 New Member

Oct 15, 2008
    yay spain won the euro 2008. good game good game.

25. TRIXTA805

TRIXTA805 Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Wow. That was Random, not to mention pointless.