Alert: The Eric Cubo Torres Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by ChrizG13, Dec 17, 2014.

1. toropug

toropug BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think Torres and Barnes both up front together would terrorize back lines. I'm all in on flipping Bruin for the best assets we can.

JC507 repped this.
  2. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do find it interesting that when big DPs come to play for big teams, it is known right away where they area going. For Houston, we still dont know it. Why the wait? Either our ownership is on the fence and cant commit, or MLS isnt willing to commit to us. Either way, to me it shows where will stand. The whole thing seems like a no brainer, so who needs convincing, our ownership or MLS?

The move i really want to see this offseason is Bruin for Cahill.

3. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It isn't ownership. According to Ives, the ownership group is willing to pay. Canetti said he was interested in the situation, which is a way of saying that they're interested in making the move, if possible. It's between MLS or Cubo himself.

4. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AEG (and Oscar de la Pantyhose) have taught us to mistrust them, Ponce.

I was thinking the same as txsn.

Fkng AEG, the real "rebuilding" won't start until they sell this team.

5. The_Ponce

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, yet again, no plans to have a change in ownership in near future. That's not a rumor, that's the truth.

Let's talk about ownership for a bit:

1) They've spent money on DPs. Boniek, Lopez and Beasley all come to mind. Now that Boniek is no longer a DP, they're sending scouts to SA and Europe. Also, there are rumors about Cubo.

2) They've hired a coach that probably cost them some good money.

3) Matt Jordan was hired.

4) All of these new jobs Canetti talked about creating are going to need.paychecks.

5) Dash? USL Pro team? All of them cost money.

6) There's currently a U23 team that is run by academy that isn't part of USSDA. They're costing money.

You can't say that they aren't spending money. Whether you agree with how they spent money, that's another question. However, they aren't in charge of that. That's the FO. The thing is that I doubt people disagree with the fact that we have a TD and HC as separate jobs now. That was a complaint by many of yall. You got your wish.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the following. If we are making a run at using Boniek's DP slot, then my guess is that as soon as we finish paying off Lopez's slot. We are also going to look at using that slot, as well. I wouldn't be surprised if in 2016 we have Davis, Garrido, Boniek, Lopez (if he plays well), Beasley, Barnes, and two yet to be determined DPs. Those players will be our core, and depending on whether cap space and DP rules improve. We will build around that.

That seems like a "big" team. Not when it comes to name recognition but when it comes to talent.

6. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I appreciate your response, Ponce, you always take the time to explain your reasoning.

My response to you, however, is only composed of three words: "Los Angeles Galaxy"

TX Bill and Borrachin repped this.
  7. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With AEG's track record in MLS, they have no problem investing in teams to flip them for a profit later. With AEG and Brenner distancing themselves from Oscar, it's possible they're putting pressure on him to toe then line and stop holding things up lest they might push him out of the Dynamo as well.

Granted that last part is speculation but we are seeing increased spending across the board so clearly Oscar is oking this (and the Dynamo certainly are worth more now than when he signed up) so those 3 words clearly don't spell doom foe us.

8. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we have indeed put up another 7.5 million, then I have to take back some of the things I've thought about ownership not spending money. I wouldn't have paid as much as they did for Beasley, but you can't say that they are spending after that and then Torres. We're not LA, but I doubt that if new ownership comes in that we become at that level either.

9. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year if you said this I would agree, but Cahill was not that good this season even though he was really good at the WC. I think I'll take the younger Bruin off the bench with Barnes and Torres up top, than trade for Cahill at this point in his career. Cahill was 7th on his own team for goals this year. He tied Eric Alexander but had 7 less assists than Alexander. I'll grant you that he was not in the lineup for various reasons, but still....

Heft repped this.
  10. The_Ponce

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We aren't a market the size of Houston, we don't have their sponsors nor TV contract. In fact, we are struggling to find a place to obtain a TV contract.

You can't expect Malaga to get the same players as Galaxy.

11. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ponce,
    I can't recall if it was El Naranja who posted a while back about the size of the Houston market.

Look, I don't work on television, I don't have credentials like y'all who go to Canetti's Christmas parties and have drinks with Beyonce, but I've had quite a bit of marketing experience.

One thing that I learned is that all you need is potential customers. If you have customers out there, then you craete a market. It is YOUR job to create a fkng market, not wait if the market is good enough for your stuff.

• If people ain't hungry, you find ways to make their stomachs growl.
    • If people ain't thirsty, you give them salty peanuts.
    • If people dont want to lie down and buy comfy sofas, you force them to run laps and get them tired.
    There is marketing, advertisement, manipulation, public opinion, etc. You can make people think that a country is communist, or it aint, you can justify invasions. You can sell whatever the fk you want, if you are smarter than everybody else.

Grater Houston (incl Woodlands and Sugarland) has a population of over 6 million people. Many of us are darn foreigners, dumb people like me who love a sport run by a corrupt international mafia called FIFA.

If this ain't a big market size, if we ain't a big TV size. THEN YOU MAKE IT A BIG MARKET.

Dumbasses like me work hard to make a few dollars, just to spend them on Chicharito jerseys, on Barcelona jerseys, on Man United bullshit. Just like the humble lady who cuts your hair is right now waiting in line to buy a Coach bag at some outlet mall, the humble people who cut your grass also sit down to watch Real Madrid, Liverpool and Club America kick around a round ball. And everybody spends money on the stuff they like. Even humble guys buy soccer stuff and watch futbol on TV.

So, sorry I don't buy that we are not a big market. If we ain't, then fkng make it a big market. We have the population, the soccer fans, the international flavor. If this isn't a big market, then blame Canetti, blame MLS, blame AEG, blame anybody who has to do with the FO.

jvilla07, MLSNHTOWN, JC507 and 2 others repped this.
  12. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bravo! I have always believed that their marketing strategy when it comes to selling it to Hispanic people is very weak. Why isn't Dynamo blasted all over the Spanish radio stations. That is the bread and butter of la raza. They work all this jobs and one thing doesn't change and that is the radio stations being blasted loud. I hope with Kinnear leaving and Moyes coming in, this changes. We need El Cubo or a player like that to energize this team and fans. I hope with a different coach everybody takes it to a different level including Bruin.

jvilla07, Hydro, *rey* and 1 other person repped this.
  13. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #88 Hydro, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
    Señor Borracho,
    Advertisement is the first and most logical way to promote the Dynamo, and indeed, I don't hear or see much on radio or TV.

Another tip from Captain Obvious: "Get a big Mexican star and you'll have people begging to be let into the stadium." You don't even need to advertise, the sole presence of a big star will spread throughout the internet. Makes sense, right?

However, pushing people to go to the stadium or at least be Dynamo fans is a bit more complex than just buying radio advertisement.

But look, there are less obvious ways to get people to want to be at the stadium. During my younger years, I often tried to learn from geniuses like Mr. Edward Barnays. (NYTimes, Wikipedia). Barnays could promote products or issues without even mentioning the product in the advertisement! The man promoted the growth of a freaking US railroad company by toppling the government of Guatemala! Yeah, the guy was an unscrupulous jerk, but he was smart. And I recognize or admit that this is public relations, but if you read his stuff, you'll see that it was used as a form of marketing, of convincing people to buy an idea.

So, there are less obvious ways to promote the Dynamo in Houston. I think there is a huge opportunity for a marketing or public relations genius here in our hometown.

Let's hope that the new management team of Jordan and Coyle can help Canetti find better ways to promote the team.

In the meantime, we need to stop using statements such as "Houston is too hot" "Houston is not a big market" "this is not a TV market". JUST MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Hope 2015 is a better year in Planet Dynamo.

shoeless, SogeJ, JC507 and 2 others repped this.
  14. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006

I would say that Torres' goals look more redundant of Bruin's. However, at $172k for 10 goals I don't see what the rush to offload is. People seem more concerned with running off Bruin than what the forward line looks like after. I think we would need to get downfield faster to take advantage of his more ground based striker work. If not, Torres looks like Chicharito small to find for headers if a defense gets back. He has more volleys than headers. You might want to keep Bruin around for those days you need a true #9 over the top.

We are a rebuilding team that should be looking at pieces that will still be around in 3-4 years. I wasn't sure about Beasley for that, and I think Cahill has the same issues for that approach. I think that idea buys into the "2 marquee players and we're fixed" quick fix mentality.

Where is the personnel aggression towards the AWFUL backline? Most of the posts I read are forward-centric. That is the sexy spot but we allowed nearly 60 goals. While you are so busy plotting to send away forwards who are serviceable because their salary is moderate and they don't go for 20, might some attention be paid to the more pressing fact our defenders are incompetent dribbling cones? All the pander/no pander discussion on the attack misses the point that our defense couldn't stop my grandmother.

15. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    FWIW on pandering, we are at 93% capacity. I think our fans are more motivated by success than where people are from. I think a really big name might sell the last 7% tickets but we should be mindful of the fact our success has been driven by being "high concept." Mind you, the real success was also driven by talent level -- something forgotten in the years since. But Houston fans are sufficiently fair weather where if the team suffers while the FO panders, the bubble will pop and offset itself. Unless we sign some massive name that will never happen, or three Mexican stars to the extent the tickets sellout way ahead of time, the fans will hold the team to account.

16. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone was just so focused on getting Brian Perk in the re-entry draft that they figured that alone would solve our backline problems by going superstar at GK.

redinthemorning and El Naranja repped this.
  17. The_Ponce

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those past friendlies at BBVA have been marketed to the Hispanic community and involved teams they actually care about....still didn't sell-out. In fact, ticket sales have been so crappy that it's GA in the 200-level.

I'm not saying I know the answer to our problems, I'm just stating that it isn't as easy a fix as y'all make it seem.

Eh, who am I kidding? I'm just gonna start agreeing with all of y'all!

ChrizG13 and redinthemorning repped this.
  18. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is seattle a big market??? How about Kansas City? Or portland??? If not, then how did they do it?

And look at Chivas, big market and they couldn't pull shit for attendance. Or look at the NFL, small markets that sell out year after year. I'll believe big name players won't come here due to the city, but to not be able to fill 22k in this large of a city has nothing to do with market and everything to do with a shitty FO.

redinthemorning, MannieG and *rey* repped this.
  19. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chivas' problems had nothing to do with the market. At the height of their success they pulled in great (for the time) attendance.

20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will paraphrase Canetti but he said on Glenn's show in response to a similar question about attracting Mexican fans and having the Dynamo website in Spanish that "research we've done shows we can attract SOME of those Hispanic fans but most speak English or consume sports in English".

Dynamo are not attracting the hardcore La Raza Mexican fans and the guys blasting Mega 101 while pouring concrete aren't trekking to BBVA Compass Stadium (BTW, we need a nickname for that place).

And the Mexican/Central American exhibitions are drawing less and less each time. That market has been oversaturated for a while and the fans can see all the Mexican league games on TV anyway.

21. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    I have always been under the impression that most games have sold a very high percentage of tickets. You're talking about selling tickets. But I think the problem is getting people to actually sit in the seats they have already purchased. If the seats are sold, the FO has done its job.

I know many seats are empty during games. But that's a different problem that I don't think is easily addressed.

22. jvilla07

jvilla07 Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Houston + NOLA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Don't mean to come across the wrong way but a good chunk of those corporate seats could vaporize with plunge in oil price recently, or at least suites in short-term. So those empty seats could soon stay that way soon if they haven't renewed yet. Trust me, from personal experience over the last few days, this kind of excess (even if minor) is the first to be sacrificed as token/symbolic cuts in the short-term.

*rey* repped this.
  23. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect most of those have already been renewed and with budgets set back in October/November, those seats are safe for 2015.

Now if we stay sub-$70 on oil all year (and natural gas is at lows too) then things may change. However, the chemical industry and many of those companies will do fine if has stays down.

redinthemorning repped this.
  24. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've gone down on attendance average every year at BBVA no??? So how is that doing their jobs???

25. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, which is what I'm saying about houston; The market is not the problem.

Heft repped this.