The end of the road for solano

Discussion in 'CONMEBOL' started by condor11, Oct 21, 2003.

1. BanglaBlue

BanglaBlue Member

Jan 3, 2004
    Dublin
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Solano gets 50K pounds every 2 weeks. I have seen his bank statements.

2. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Newcastle is prob the 3rd biggest club in England behind Man U and Liverpool. Im basing this on fans and merchandising. Its obvious that they really havent done squat in recent years tho. But that still hans't kept them from having the 2nd biggest stadium in EPL, being one of the top merchandising teams in the world(a couple of years ago they sold moore than even MAnU), and having a massive worldwide fanbase.

Aston Villa is a midsize club when everything is added up. And Middlesboro is prob around the same range.

As for Solano I think that each situation should be viewed differently. And in Solano's situation I think he should stay with his club(which ever it is). Peruvian soccer is in the toilet and its not getting better anytime soon(atleast in his playing career). So him flying down to South America every other week is a waste of time. Just another game lost and another World Cup missed. Maybe if he was playing in Mexico or in Argentina again he can make it work easier, but I say stay in England and play for the team that pays for your food.

3. AtNacional

AtNacional Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Washington DC
    Wouldn't all the clubs in England pay for his food?

4. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    thanks - metrocorazon, that is what I wanted to hear

pretty clear too!

If Nol played 82 minutes this week, then there is no trade on the works and will end the season at newcastle. BTW, no one said that he will go back to boca or peruvian clubs, the move was in euros not pesos!

5. RobB

RobB New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Birmingham
    The size of a club is always difficult to gauge but most people would say Newcastle are bigger. They haven`t won a trophy in 30 years, though, and were languishing in the lower divisions until about 10 years ago when a millionaire fan took over and turned them into title contenders, for a couple of seasons anyway, now they`re £50m in debt. Middlesborough have NEVER won a trophy. Even since a millionaire fan took over they`ve still struggled.
    Ten years ago, too even suggest Newcastle or Middlesborough were even comparable to Villa would have been a joke. What with our winning the League and European cup in 81/82, and finishing second in the league in 89 and 92, but like most teams the gap has narrowed and the traditional and historically big clubs (Everton, Spurs, Villa, Man City, Leeds) are not so different from what are sometimes called family clubs (Southampton, Charlton, Middlesborough, Leicester).

6. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I wasn't even going to respond to the 'metrocorazon' character RobB...shows how much he knows about football calling 'Villa a midsize club....and not having the gillionaires Chelsea on the top 3 as a top side...
    but best of all is asking that Solano not waste his time by playing for country... He probably believes that Solkjaer or Giggs or Kean or Tim Howard shouldn't play for their sides because they are not quality like France or England...ridiculous...But the best part is that he'll make my '10 worst' list for 2004! My mate from Middlesbro would love this guy!

7. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    so what I see in the last 3 posts

the 3 clubs in the last 20 yrs are at the same level, newcastle in deep credit trouble and Boro with no hopes. All sounds a lil brighter for aston Villa.

no major titles since 81/82 (other than villa's)

metrocora was a bit lost?

8. AtNacional

AtNacional Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Washington DC
    Nah, ese Peruano sabe de futbol.

9. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    by history and tradition aston villa and newcastle might be equal

it is just that the last few years newcastle has clearly been the better club and had better results. that is why i would prefer solano to stay in newcastle if he can regain his starting position. otherwise aston villa is a fine alternative. according to newspaper sources a move is very than likely

http://www.peru.com/futbol/AutoNoticias/DetalleNoticia35931.asp

10. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    there is no denning villa was a great club in the 80s even in 2000 or 99 they finished in the top 3 i believe

but ever since bobby came on board newcastle has been a top 5 club along with the big 2 and chelsea and liverpool and after a slow start to the season they are going up the table again

villa on the other hand would surprise a lot of people if they made top 4 this year

11. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I just read they reached an agreement (not official yet), Solano and Ángel will play side by side, well I mean same club...

12. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    is de la cruz a starter?

13. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    no not in the last games...he should be, hes good.

14. RobB

RobB New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Birmingham
    He played on Sunday against Man Utd in the FA cup, which we lost 2-1, he`s played 15 times in total out of about 26 games.

15. crazyperuvian

crazyperuvian New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    California
    the Peruvian luck

It seems like every time that peru has a really good player like solano they try to bring us down. All he did was attended a national team's game and now all he can do is sit on the stands and watch the game. Well i hope that coach gets the boot and goes to hell. I was a newcastle fan but now a laugh every time they get knockout by a last place team.That's what you get Bobby....go to hell!!!

16. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    solano played 81 minutes against leeds in the premier league and assisted the goal scored by alan shearer. it seems that he is actually regaining his starting position.

at the same time bobby robson said that they are willing to sell solano if some club presents a good offer
    http://www.peru.com/futbol/AutoNoticias/DetalleNoticia36010.asp

17. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    Re: the Peruvian luck

WELCOME HERE Limeño

no se pierda y hable de conmebol tambien.

18. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    When I talk about "Size" of club, its not only about, cups and money. Heck if it was just about money then REAL must be a small size club since they are also in debt.

Its more about taking into account the fanbase, sales, stadium, players, titles, etc. All of them together.

Aston Villa dont command the same power as Newcastle. They have a BIG history and have had great players BUT they dont have the massive fan base that newcastle does(numbers dont lie), they dont have the 2nd largest park in the country, and they really have been nothing but a midtable since in recent years. Newcastle have atleast finished in the top of the table most of the time, even tho they havent won anything.

Chelsea has only come into play this year as a REALLY big club. They were always a massive club but I think they were more like the 4th biggest, now if their popularity soars after this year I think they will be one of the top 3. Maybe dethroning Newcastle.

19. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

old post by metro but I'll respond anyway -- everything that you mentioned, except for fanbase, centers around money so you're contradicting your statement --or are sales, stadium, players not part of the money that determine the 'Size' you speak of. Furthermore, Birmingham is the 2nd largest city in England...yeah that's right 2nd. And despite we have to fight for supporters with the "snot noses" in Birmingham, Villa has a pretty large fan base...maybe not in the states or in Latin America, but that's growing as well!Andy Grey, David Platt, and Dwight Yorke have all been Villains in their hey day. And at 43M capacity at Villa Park, it's a good size. I mean have you ever seen Highbury?...uugh! Mind you if Ellis digs in his pockets and puts some money in the club his next move is to expand Villa Park to approx 50M. I'll be surprised to see Newcastle in the top 5 this year. And I do have to say that Villa needs some added talent to the squad, but they are worth watching!
    By the way, your Newcastle fan base is getting smaller with Nobby in Villa...that's at least 15MM Peruvians we've just added to the Villa support group!!....Bienvenidos

20. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    i wonder if solano and angel will have the same partenership that shearer and nobby had one ex river the other ex boca should be interesting

21. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they'll be fine....they are both still relatively young, and play a similar style of soccer, so they'll get used to each other pretty quickly and will be good teammates for years to come...Unless of course Angel gets sold somewhere else, not such a remote possibility....

22. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    how will the fans of newcastle take the transfer?

will they boo Solano next time they face him or the critics will face Robson as the villain that ship him out to Aston villa?

23. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    according to nufc.nu 90% of fans side with solano he was a fan favorite and they can see he was forced out of newcastle in fact many believe old bobby is losing the plot at least thats the impression i get from newcastle messageboards

24. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt it ..Condor is right: the fans know in the end it was not Solano's decision to leave but Robson's will to sell him and plus, the overwhelming majority of fans did not want to see him go...

25. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    That's simply not true. He didn't turn his back on Brazil.