The Eircom League and why I love it

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Conor74, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Conor74

Conor74 New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    SW Ireland
    Hadn't been to an Eircom game in about a year or so, and in that time I had been over to see English Premiership games. Anyway, went along to see Cork City/Bray last Friday night and it was one of the best night's entertainment I've had in ages. Football, by Bray anyway, was poor enough, but three goals, some chants that were frankly hilarious, a crowd of over 4,000, floodlights, good atmosphere, the freedom to wander out to a pub at half time, terracing (or more particularly The Shed). I fully intend to take in as many games at Turner's X as i can this year, despite the 120 mile round trek there and back home on Saturdays. And I reckon that'll be better than last year at Elland Road being told to mind my language, or sit down, or remove Leeds colours when in the middle of the stand at Craven Cottage, or drink in certain bars, or steer clear of certain areas etc. etc.

2. Don Homer

Don Homer New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Dublin, Ireland
    Welcome to my world!

The X seems to be really buzzing this year. It already seems that it will be a rare team to get 3 away points there this season.

4,000 for a Bray game at this time of the season is pretty impressive.

A strong Premier League has a strong Cork team in it. Of that, there is no doubt.

3. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What can you tell me about Drogheda and and Waterford Utd?

Also,what is the deadline for signing players?

We had a player from Ireland, Davy Williamson, for the Wolves and he did well.

4. frankk

frankk New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Dublin/Donegal
    the eircom league

there's nothing better than meeting up with a few mates, having a pint or two and then going to a 'live' game of footie!

ok, i know the standard is questionable but the singin, shouting, banter and bonding cannot be beaten.

the only time i watch football on tv is when ireland are playing away. it's ok to support liverpool or united but it's just soooo dull. where's the passion? does watching united v birmingham infront of a tv on a wet wednesday make your heart race?

5. Danny Bronco

Danny Bronco New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Newcastle U.K.
    derry city are maaaaaaaaaagic.

damn straight.

6. yorkshirepud

yorkshirepud New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Dublin
    Ya the eircom league is brilliant!!

Shelbourne got knocked by a Maltese side in Europe and Dundalk and Sham Rovers got knocked out 9-0 and 5-1 on aggregate respectively !

Last years championship was decided in a courtroom-

Come off of it -it's a two-bit operation and never will be anything more

...and before anyone asked yes I have been at games and the standard is really atrocious.

7. frankk

frankk New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Dublin/Donegal
    eircom league

nobody is questioning the current dubious standard of the eircom league. bearing in mind that carlisle are presently filling their team with our best and brightest goes to show that we can be considered on a par with the english third division.

we are still able to produce some outstanding talent - roy keane and steve staunton both plied their trade with cobh and dundalk respectively when they were young.

of the current crop, michael reddy of kilkenny city scored on his debut for sunderland and is considered a decent prospect. damien delaney of cork city went straight into the lecister squad last season against man utd. richie foran is being tracked by a number of first divsion clubs including preston. and striking sensation kevin mchugh (of my own finn harps) attracted the interests of derby and villa last season. he had a trial with the latter and scored in a friendly against wolves, outplaying bosco boloban (their £6million croatian).

being the eternal optimist, i'm hoping that things will improve soon. but in the meantime i'll still go to the matches, chant, sing, laugh and shout my head off and remind myself of why i love this game. next time you're in the pub watching united remember to keep the noise down or the landlord will throw you out.

by the way - i've been to old trafford and it's rubbish! hugh crowd, no atmosphere and it's in a HORRIBLE place. give me finn park on a wet saturday night anytime!!

8. Danny Bronco

Danny Bronco New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Newcastle U.K.
    yer right. but finn park doesnt compare with the randy-Brandywell. Does the Nou Camp and Old Trafford have a dog-track round the pitch like Derry? Not at all. And they're missin out!
    Dont forget that we also have David Kelly, and Liam Coyle who would have been a superstar over the water if not for his dodgy knees.

9. Don Homer

Don Homer New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Dublin, Ireland

Every word you speak shows that you do not get it! if football was only about the standard on display, then everyone would be fans of Real Madrid and Brazil because no other teams have come closer to perfection throughout history than they, so why settle for second-best?

Of coure, football is more than that!

Personally, I just cannot get passionate about football on TV, especially the artifical world of the English Premiership. At least the old First Division had a sense of proportion to it. Now its all about funny technological gadgets, third-rate commentary and punditry, and footballers that are celebrities first and players second. Give me any day a few local rivalries, a chance to help shape the match through my support, and a set of honest players that I can talk to occasionally after the game.

Not saying its the right way, but I am saying its the only way for me.

10. Conor74

Conor74 New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    SW Ireland
    I was going to quote that too Don.

But then I spotted a much bigger hole in the argument. Note his team is Man Yoo. A team that, by all accounts and even the complaints of their own hardcore fans, are the very antithesis of fun, craic, swearing at matches, standing up, chants, working class fans etc. etc. The bland world of prawn sandwiches as their own captain famously pointed out. The club that has led the way in turning football into a glossy business. And, to my disgust, Elland Road has become as dead, as drab, as colourless, as boring, as quiet as "The Theatre of Dreams" (am I allowed to say that without the consent of the trademark owners?)

Man Yoo - a team that you need never see live. Just stay at home and watch the slickly produced video at the end of the year, and order the Giggsy slippers off Man Yoo tv. I won't be back at Elland Road this year, I've seen enough of it to know that it's as good on the telly. But i will be at City/Shamrock Rvovers on the 13th September next.