The Edwin Van Der Sar for Manchester United Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Motterman, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    www.EdwinVanDerSar.co.uk

I'd also like to take this opportunity to comment that I think he deserves alot of credit for our league position at the moment. He's made some wonderful saves and although there's been a small mistake here or there, he's mainly been consistent and solid in the back and has made some good outlet balls to start counter-attacks.

I wish we had signed him 4/5 years ago.

2. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    yeah... he deserves alot of credit. We could have leaked alot more goals when Rio was in shaky form, but we didn't - and he's a big reason for that.

3. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He's been good but he hasnt been Schmeichel-esque.

4. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    He is definitely living up to his name so far and he's the one who has kept us in a lot of games, for sure. I don't think anyone can argue that he's been a great buy :) His reaction times MAY be showing signs of slowing down, but I really don't see it as anything detrimental at the moment.

Hope he could become a great mentor to Timmy and Steele as well.

5. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    I seriously doubt that there will ever be a GK at Manchester United that does what Schmiechel did here, but Van Der Sar comes the closest and it shows not only in our results but also the confidence that the other players finally have in him and the leadership qualities he brings from the back. He's also absolutely brilliant, for a GK, with his feet.

6. JN13

JN13 Member

Dec 23, 2004
    It is too bad that when Juventus let him go in 2001 we had Barthez on a very
    long term contract. Otherwise, he could have joined us at the same time as
    RVN and we probably could have done a lot better with him in goal in the last 4 years especially in the ECL where our GKs made crucial errors in important games. Fulham got lucky in 2001 and got him from Juventus.