The Education Thread

Discussion in 'Ireland: NSR' started by pmannion, Mar 22, 2006.

1. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    This thread is for discussing education. Specifically for academic advice.

A good many of us who frequent these boards are still in the process of obtaining an education. This thread is for comparing programs, help with papers, suggestion re. where to study, etc.

Let's start with this: Where do/did you go to school, what do/did you study, and how do/did you find it?

2. 50 Euro

50 Euro Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I went to Boston College, English major, after finally switching from Finance my 2nd year (which was one of the happier days of my college life).
    I graduated one class short of qualifying for an Irish Studies minor; wish I'd planned that one better.:)
    Once I got the hell out of Finance I enjoyed college much more. I consider myself lucky that I realized it wasn't where I wanted to be; I had friends that weren't so fortunate and spent four years doing coursework in areas that they didn't enjoy...

3. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Are you a Redskins fan 50 Euro?

4. 50 Euro

50 Euro Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Lifielong :cool:

My family are season ticket holders, and I was lucky enough to go to Super Bowl XVII (though my memory is a bit fuzzy as I was 6 at the time).

Follow the NFL, malby?

I know that BillyIreland sadly follows the Packers and was unfortunate enough to see them in person on his last trip over...:D

5. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Sad indeed, Go Bears :)

6. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Question on education:

Do any of you know what American universities have reputable Irish studies programs? Or else specialize in diaspora studies?

I'm considering starting to think about coming up with a list of universities for which to apply for a PhD... (if that's what I want to do straight after my masters - haven't decided yet).

If no one knows here, I'll ask on the education/academia board.

7. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Probably Notre Dame (their nickname is Fighting Irish and are Roman Catholic school, so I would guess that would be your best bet), maybe Boston College, Dartmouth may, you could check these university's website, they may have their courses available online

8. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yeah. I've followed the skins since the NFL first was shown over here in the early 80's. Never fullfilled my dream of going to RFK :(

9. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I've yet to go to Lambeau, but I have seen the Packers play in Raymond James against the Bucs - we lost 28-7 & Favre had the worst game of his career. I also was at the match for our record-setting 48-3 loss to the Ravens at the end of last season. :(

A friend of a friend of mine who I know quite well plays for the Dublin Rebels, who won the European Championship (seperate to NFL Europe) with him as a starting corner (iirc, might have been nickel), aged 16.

10. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I was there with my class at school for a DC United a game two years ago (Adu scored) its OK, it basically looks like your average stadium, though it was very empty for that game, they do have these horns that everyone bought and it got really annoying. From the plane it looked like a big Frosted Doughnut

Never been, (and never hope to) but Ill tell you what its like (from what a friend who went told me), a bunch of fat Wisconsin people (It is the fattest state in the USA, Chicago is an hour's drive from the border, I have been multiple times, and they dont seem that fat to me :eek: ), its REALLY cold, and everyone has a Cheesehead. Anyone want Fantasy American Football next year?

11. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I used to play here in the early 90's for the Drogheda Vikings. Wasn't aware there were still teams playing.

12. fearmor123

fearmor123 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Dublin
    There's a team train in Fairview park every Saturday- no idea who they are or how serious they take it, but they are there every week!!

13. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I believe Catholic University of America in Washington DC has an Irish American studies program.

14. aronevans2020

aronevans2020 New Member

Apr 16, 2020
    I am enrolled in the Politics Program of the University of Dallas and my major is American Foreign Policy. Currently I am suffering trying to write my essay on the key elements in foreign economic policies and their influence on particular states in order to get my last credit.